Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BRZ at the Austin auto show 5/18-5/20 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5686)

Mochikomi 05-03-2012 09:22 PM

BRZ at the Austin auto show 5/18-5/20

Just received word that the Austin auto show will feature (among others) a BRZ. So for any Texans who have yet to see one in person, here's another chance!

It's a WRB Limited 6MT, and thanks to a little birdy I got to check it out ahead of time. It's one of the pre-prod / show cars so there won't be any test drives for locals who've pre-ordered unfortunately.

I pre-ordered a WRB Premium 6MT, so it is definitely nice to finally sit in one and get first-hand impressions, as I was unable to attend the show in Dallas.

The one thing that surprised me about it (even after all the pics available) was how much room there was in the engine compartment. The rest was as we've heard many times over:

* great seating position & stance.
* The interior felt nicer / higher quality than it looks in pics.
* The backseat is very small. I'm a smaller guy, and a human *might* be able to fit behind me. (Obviously I could care less.. *I* will be plenty comfortable behind the wheel! :D)

Anyways, here's the link to info about the Austin show: http://www.autoshowaustin.com/

avholic 05-03-2012 10:22 PM

Why is the auto-show in Austin so late? I got to sit on the Silver Limited 6AT BRZ at Dallas auto show. It was corded so I had to prove that I pre-ordered so I could sit on it. It's actually better to snoop around and find out if a pre-prod BRZ is coming to your local dealers, where you could tinker with the car all day. In the process I got to inspect and compare DGM Premium 6AT and WRB Limited 6MT on different days at two different dealerships and affirm that I ordered the right one - WRB Limited 6MT.

Mochikomi 05-04-2012 10:26 AM

No clue why the Austin show is so late in the season. I wouldn't have known anything about it other than my Subaru guy called me. Getting to see the car answered my only real question (visibility w/ the lower seating position.. I'm a smaller guy). It would be nice to see a premium so I can get a feel for the cloth seats and fiddle with the normal A/C controls, but I'm not overly concerned.

I was also waffling a bit between the DGM and the WRB. I ordered the WRB and am glad I did, although Subaru's DGM is really nice.

luxmn 05-04-2012 10:50 AM

i may bring my FRS to try to steal the show :P:P :lol:

Dadhawk 05-04-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxmn (Post 200171)
i may bring my FRS to try to steal the show :P:P :lol:

Ha, yea. I had hoped to have my FR-S in time to drive it to the Formula D event in Atlanta next week, but doesn't look like that will happen. Oh well...

Mochikomi 05-04-2012 11:02 AM

@luxmn I have no problem with that as long as I get a ride-along! Did you already take delivery?

luxmn 05-04-2012 11:10 AM

not yet not yet but from the wind of it i better get mine by then :D

#3onthelist 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

For everyone in central texas. Subaru Austin now has the BRZ in their showroom until the auto show. Just drop by there instead if you want to be a little more hands on time. No test drive(even with a deposit) but they will allow you to check it out a little bit more than what you will be able to do at the auto show.

I love the car but I do have a little bit of a spoiler for you guys. I am just barely 6' tall. Not a big guy either, about 210-215 ish lbs. I can fit into the car if the front seat is all the way back making the back seat only good for storage. The front seat was actually flush against the back seat so no room for a seated back passenger. If I sit up right in the seats there is only about 3-4" in clearance from my head to the roof. This is more a two seater for me. That being said the interior is very basic. Basic in a good way. There was thought put into where thing were placed. It felt good looking for things in the car and them actually being where you expect them. If you are my size or bigger check it out and tell me how you feel.

Ranatsu 05-09-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #3onthelist (Post 205558)
For everyone in central texas. Subaru Austin now has the BRZ in their showroom until the auto show. Just drop by there instead if you want to be a little more hands on time. No test drive(even with a deposit) but they will allow you to check it out a little bit more than what you will be able to do at the auto show.

I love the car but I do have a little bit of a spoiler for you guys. I am just barely 6' tall. Not a big guy either, about 210-215 ish lbs. I can fit into the car if the front seat is all the way back making the back seat only good for storage. The front seat was actually flush against the back seat so no room for a seated back passenger. If I sit up right in the seats there is only about 3-4" in clearance from my head to the roof. This is more a two seater for me. That being said the interior is very basic. Basic in a good way. There was thought put into where thing were placed. It felt good looking for things in the car and them actually being where you expect them. If you are my size or bigger check it out and tell me how you feel.

You must have some seriously long legs...

tripjammer 05-09-2012 02:45 PM

I am headed up to Subaru Austin then...Good find @#3onthelist