Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hot Lava (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5153)

gabeh 04-19-2012 06:28 PM

Hot Lava

I was going to order one in Hot Lava, but then the salesman showed me an xB on the lot and said it was also Hot Lava (and it seemed kind of pale to me). So I ordered the Red.

Does anyone know if the xB is the same Hot Lava colour as the FR-S?
Thanks
Gabe

HotLavaMann 04-19-2012 06:43 PM

hot lava

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabeh (Post 187401)
I was going to order one in Hot Lava, but then the salesman showed me an xB on the lot and said it was also Hot Lava (and it seemed kind of pale to me). So I ordered the Red.

Does anyone know if the xB is the same Hot Lava colour as the FR-S?
Thanks
Gabe

There seem to be two hot lavas at scion. I saw a poster of the xB and it was almost an road cone orange. It got me completely turned off to hot lava. Then at the Toyota museum I saw an iQ in the "new" hot lava and it was much better. I asked a scion rep there and they said the FR-S will be the same color as the iQ. It was a bit dark, not a bright orange at all. I would not describe it as pale. There was a bit of a peel to it. "Burnt orange' describes it rather well.

I wasn't thrilled with the color so I changed my order to silver but then the next day changed it back to hot lava. My reasoning is the silver, although a great color, looks to blah for the car ("fleet" is the term someone used and I think it accurately describes it).

As for the red, I wish it was darker. It is identical to the red of the Mazda 2 I just bought for my daughter. Couldn't go that route.

Good luck with it. Anyway you go it will be a good looking car.

Brett 04-19-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotLavaMan (Post 187412)
I wasn't thrilled with the color so I changed my order to silver but then the next day changed it back to hot lava. My reasoning is the silver, although a great color, looks to blah for the car ("fleet" is the term someone used and I think it accurately describes it).

And you didn't want to have to change your name.

Brett

gabeh 04-19-2012 08:38 PM

I asked the salesman to confirm whether the xB Hot Lave (on the lot) is the same as what's coming on the FRS. Curious to see what he says. If I don't like the colour I have the option of waiting for another car.

Toyota fr-s 04-19-2012 09:19 PM

I can asure you that you know more about this car then the sales person you are asking. There is a lot of information here that hasn't even hit some dealers...

HotLavaMann 04-19-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 187472)
And you didn't want to have to change your name.

Brett

Too true!

Jeff Lange 04-19-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotLavaMan (Post 187412)
There seem to be two hot lavas at scion. I saw a poster of the xB and it was almost an road cone orange. It got me completely turned off to hot lava. Then at the Toyota museum I saw an iQ in the "new" hot lava and it was much better. I asked a scion rep there and they said the FR-S will be the same color as the iQ. It was a bit dark, not a bright orange at all. I would not describe it as pale. There was a bit of a peel to it. "Burnt orange' describes it rather well.

There are some colours, and Hot Lava is one, that can look vastly different in photos depending on lighting and so on. The iQ and xB are both the same colour (4R8). While the FR-S doesn't share the same paint code (the 86 and FR-S all use Subaru paint codes), they are all the same colour.

Jeff

gabeh 04-19-2012 11:32 PM

Jeff, just to be clear.

Are you saying that the xB and the FRS Hot Lava is the same colour? If it is, I found it to be quite pale and not vibrant at all on an xB as it appeared on my monitor.

Then I had a hard time deciding between the red and the white.

Jeff Lange 04-19-2012 11:44 PM

Yes, they should be the same colour. I haven't seen it in real life, or beside an xB or iQ, and it is Subaru applying the paint at a different factory, so these things need to be taken into account. So all I can confirm 100% is that the iQ and xB are the same colour, and the FR-S should be the same colour as those two as well.

Jeff