Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Ended up not getting a brz (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46190)

tbssowner 09-07-2013 10:55 AM

Ended up not getting a brz

So i ordered a blue metallic 6mt about 3 weeks ago and had my heart set on the brz ever since they came out. The deal was approved and got a good rate at 2.9%, BUT i drove my coworkers brz and just couldnt get over the lack of power. I planned on going with vortech but there are quite a few hurdles with tuning these cars so ended up not getting one. I know going to vet grief but went with a hyundai genisis coupe. Ill probably wait and see if a proper sti makes it way to the states. So if anyone looking for a brz dark blue manual in the houston are go talk to troy at west houston subaru.

shiumai 09-07-2013 11:07 AM

did you check out this thread? read the comment on the genesis (also mentions that the BRZ could use more power):
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30205

ZionsWrath 09-07-2013 11:07 AM

Yes there is a lack of power. But the money you are going to spend making the Gen handle better could be spent making the BRZ faster on the straights.

To each his own as they say

Ammonia 09-07-2013 11:14 AM

Bye, sorry to lose you, but I'm sure you'll have fun in your Genny.

spdfreak 09-07-2013 11:23 AM

No way!

ZionsWrath 09-07-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdfreak (Post 1195804)

No way!

lol didn't notice that, definitely straight line speed is more important in that neck of the woods

DJCarbine 09-07-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbssowner (Post 1195763)
I planned on going with vortech but there are quite a few hurdles with tuning these cars

The only hurdles are money. If you buy a vortech kit from a vendor on the forums, you can bundle it with ecutek/cable/tune.

The gen coupe was my other choice if I did not go with one of the twins

NYCsubaruBRZ 09-07-2013 12:53 PM

you can always make a car faster. you cant always make it handle better.... well u can make it handle better but the room for improvement is limited.

2013GTRNate 09-07-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbssowner (Post 1195763)
So i ordered a blue metallic 6mt about 3 weeks ago and had my heart set on the brz ever since they came out. The deal was approved and got a good rate at 2.9%, BUT i drove my coworkers brz and just couldnt get over the lack of power. I planned on going with vortech but there are quite a few hurdles with tuning these cars so ended up not getting one. I know going to vet grief but went with a hyundai genisis coupe. Ill probably wait and see if a proper sti makes it way to the states. So if anyone looking for a brz dark blue manual in the houston are go talk to troy at west houston subaru.

You made a decision that made sense for you. Happy driving! :clap:

-Nate

ZionsWrath 09-07-2013 12:58 PM

I was interested in the Gen coupe as well but the dealer I tried to schedule a test drive with acted like the gen coupe was a buggati veyron as far as scheduling and I couldn't get over the fact the R spec didn't have cruise control even though it only added 1 ounce of weight...

campy 09-07-2013 01:04 PM

Definitely get the car that suits your needs best. The BRZ isn't the ultimate car or anything lol. It excels at handling, but there's a lot of interior road noise, suspension isn't particularly comfy, and of course it could use an extra 100 hp. A grand tourer like the genesis is definitely a better car for those long texas highways.

The Camaro and Challenger are also pretty nice cruisers if you have any interest in American cars.

tacoss23 09-07-2013 01:14 PM

LOL went to a genesis as a second option....rofl

thill 09-07-2013 01:31 PM

Sold a 2013 Gencoupe for the BRZ and never looked back. The Gencoupe has more power, but you give up a lot in handling, driver feedback, and the manual transmission is vague and clunky.

That said I would take the Gencoupe over the V6 Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc.

lionbacker54 09-07-2013 04:50 PM

you made the right choice for you. a good piece of advice a friend gave me once was "if you're not happy with the car stock, buy a different car." if horsepower is important to you, better to buy the gen coupe than try to mod it.