Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   TRD Exhaust/Intake Installed - Super loud - Problem or Normal?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36720)

Chase86 05-16-2013 04:29 PM

TRD Exhaust/Intake Installed - Super loud - Problem or Normal??

I just had the dealer install a TRD intake and a TRD exhaust. Hard to tell any difference in performance because I'd only had it for a couple days/200 miles before that. One thing I do notice is that its really, really loud. I expected it to be louder but sometimes its so loud I don't really like it. I know loudness is relative but it drowns out the radio and you have to yell to hear the person sitting next to you.

Is that normal or did the dealer screw it up? They haven't done this to any other FR-S but it can't be that hard of an install.

Is there anything I can do to quiet it down?

RandomHero 05-16-2013 04:32 PM

Delete the noise generator or buy a TRD sound changer (green is quiet I think)

Chase86 05-16-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandomHero (Post 939768)
Delete the noise generator or buy a TRD sound changer (green is quiet I think)

The TRD Intake doesn't use the noise generator, it gets capped off.

tennisfreak 05-16-2013 04:38 PM

I think your exhaust may be loose and/or have a leak somewhere.

I have the TRD intake and a Perrin Non Resonated catback exhaust (which is louder than the TRD exhaust) and my car does not drown out the radio or require me to yell at the person next to me.

Does it sound like everything is coming from the rear of the car or does it sound like some of the noise is coming from underneath you?

RandomHero 05-16-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase86 (Post 939777)
The TRD Intake doesn't use the noise generator, it gets capped off.

Oh good call on that one! I havent looked at a TRD intake in weeks. The TRD stuff is designed to be quiet street friendly so it really shouldnt be loud enough to drown the cabin in noise.

Chase86 05-16-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisfreak (Post 939787)
I think your exhaust may be loose and/or have a leak somewhere.

I have the TRD intake and a Perrin Non Resonated catback exhaust (which is louder than the TRD exhaust) and my car does not drown out the radio or require me to yell at the person next to me.

Does it sound like everything is coming from the rear of the car or does it sound like some of the noise is coming from underneath you?

I'm pretty sure there is sound coming from underneath me.

tennisfreak 05-16-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase86 (Post 939812)
I'm pretty sure there is sound coming from underneath me.

Well then that makes the problem pretty clear if its coming from underneath you.

Most likely the connection between the down pipe and the midpipe is loose or missing the gasket. (worst case there is an actual leak because of a hole or broken weld).

I'd take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

Chase86 05-16-2013 04:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I thought maybe I was just turning into an old man but it seems like I might have a problem. I'll stop by the dealer on my way home today.

Mikem53 05-16-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase86 (Post 939824)
Thanks for the feedback. I thought maybe I was just turning into an old man but it seems like I might have a problem. I'll stop by the dealer on my way home today.

Tennisfreak is right.. shouldnt be that loud and probably an install issue.
Have a listen to some of the recording on this forum and you will get an idea of what it should be like..
I am considering the TRD because its on the quiet side with just a low tone and no drone.. according to what I have researched..

Mikem53 05-16-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase86 (Post 939824)

keep us updated.. so far you are the only one to think its too loud.. i also know thats a subjective issue.. let us kniow

ChristosG 05-16-2013 10:31 PM

Mine sometimes gets loud on the highway when I'm just over 3000 rpm. It only happens in a small rpm range (3100-3200) but that's where I am in 6th on the highway.

kevman_101 05-17-2013 07:24 AM

I have a TRD cat back too and it's really only noticeable when taking off and full throttle. Other then that, even at highway speeds +10-20 kph, it's pretty quiet. Hold a conversation still at regular levels and not shouting like I used to in my Sentra.

If it's loud and you hear rasping, or straight pipe sounds, there is a leak.

Thorpedo 05-17-2013 08:24 AM

I have TRD in/ex and it is by not very loud... Sounds like you've got an ex leak.

The only time mine is "loud" is when I first start it up when it is cold.

Chase86 05-17-2013 11:34 AM

Problem Solved!

I went to the dealership last night and had them check it out. After a quick ride they agreed that it didn't sound right. So they took a look under the car and found that the bolts holding the exhaust together had come loose and fallen out. You'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge but it was at the beginning of the exhaust where it connects basically where the firewall is. So I was getting straight engine noise right under my feet. Its hard to describe but it was so loud it was mind melting.

So they tightened it all up and it sounds SOOO much better! Not too loud just a nice deep tone coming from the back! I love this car! Only another 500 till she's broken in.

I really appreciate all your feedback on this one!