Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Do I Need Extended Wheel Studs? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154495)

jbug187 02-28-2024 09:30 AM

Do I Need Extended Wheel Studs?

During my last track day, a fellow twin driver (he was on GR86 and I have a BRZ) mentioned that I really needed to install extended wheel studs. I didn't think that was correct, but wanted to check with the community in case I'm mistaken. Details below. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Winter Configuration
  • Wheels: Stock
  • Spacers: KSP
  • Thoughts: Since the KSP spacers have their own studs built in, I don't need to extend the studs built into the rotor. In fact, if the studs built in to the rotor were extended, I don't think I'd be able to mount the KSP spacers at all?
Summer Configuration
  • Wheels: Aodhan AH09
  • Spacers: None
  • Thoughts: Since these wheels mount directly to the rotor without any spacers I should be fine with the regular studs?

foshjowler 02-28-2024 10:35 AM

Extended studs aren't needed for either of those situations. The only thought I'd have is that the stock studs aren't known for being great, so a higher quality stud wouldn't be a terrible idea if you're swapping wheels a lot.

EndlessAzure 02-28-2024 10:00 PM

You only need extended studs if you run slip-on spacers

Desertnate 02-29-2024 03:40 PM

While extended studs might not be needed, I have found longer lug nuts do wonders for making the wheels easier to swap.

I swap my wheels pretty frequently and went with some aftermarket spline-driven nuts. They are longer and much easier to use than the short, stubby OEM ones. I went with some with closed ends for peace of mind.

Matt93SE 03-01-2024 03:09 PM

as others have said, longer studs aren't necessary, but if you plan to track the car and frequently swap/ rotate wheels, then stronger studs would be a great idea. The ARP studs for these cars are also longer, but that's not the main intent.

I know lots of people have had issues with the OE studs, so it wouldn't hurt. but it's not something I would prioritize over seat time or good brake pads, fluid, etc if you're playing within a limited budget. but it is a top-10 on the good practices..

.... FWIW, I've used ARP studs on all my race cars and have swapped wheels hundreds of times with air tools/electric impacts every time. I have damaged ONE ARP stud in that time because I cross-threaded a lugnut going on one time. otherwise, >20 yrs of HPDE and racing and I've never had a failed wheel stud. it's an investment you only need to make once.