Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   BTR Justin - 2022 GR86 journey (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153798)

justinco 08-02-2023 12:56 AM

BTR Justin - 2022 GR86 journey

Well, I haven't done a build thread in about 15 years, but suddenly got the motivation to do one for my GR86.

Not sure where to start, since I've already had it for almost 1.5 years. Here goes...

Car is used as a DD, as well as autocross (casual, not built to be competitive), and track TT/lapping. TT is also not competitive, as I have a purpose-built TT car for NASA TT4.

Car info:
2022 Toyota GR86
Trueno Blue, 6 MT, Premium
Acquired late March, 2022, after putting deposit down on January 3rd, 2022.

All of my formal videos are on my BTR Garage YouTube channel
All of my raw lapping videos are on my personal channel

Current upgrade and mods list (in rough order of installation):
  • Borla S-Type exhaust (gen1 version)
  • Shaved fenders front and rear (including rear trim piece)
  • Cusco pedal cover
  • Hawk DTC 60 brake pads F/R (for track)
  • ATE Type 200 brake fluid
  • Muteki lug nuts
  • ARP extended studs, 3" F, 2.5" R
  • Muteki 12mm spacers (F/R with OEM wheels, F only with Volk wheels)
  • OEM crash/camber bolts

It's worth noting that I ran the car in the above configuration for nearly the entire first year of ownership. This included about 8 track races (TT5 with NASA) or lapping days, 60+ autocross runs, and several canyon drives. OEM PS4 tires, 5W-20 Mobil 1 syn oil.

Also, I dropped the oil pan and cleaned the oil pickup at 3800 miles (RTV found). I did it again at nearly 8000 miles and found only a few specs of RTV in the pickup.

Mods continued:
  • Eibach Pro Kit lowering springs
  • K&N air filter
  • Grimmspeed intake tube
  • Noble CF hood struts
  • SPC camber bolts
  • Jackson Racing oil cooler
  • Pedders front top hats (static -camber)
  • Cusco strut bar with master cylinder brace
  • SPL rear lower control arms
  • Jackson Racing anti-dive kit
  • CSG brake pads (replaced used DTC 60's)
  • Cusco F/R tow hooks
  • Volk CE28SL 18x9.5 +45, pressed graphite
  • Bridgestone RE71RS 255/35R18 on the Volk's
  • GT Radial SX2 235/45R18 on OEM wheels (after burning up stock PS4's on track)
  • HT Autos front lip kit
  • GJP IO Box and oil pressure sensor for CAN data acquisition
  • Moroso 1.5qt oil accumulator, Canton electronic on/off valve, Ansix auto install kit (hose, fittings, mounts)

I have not been back to the track/autox since installing the new suspension bits, RE71RS/Volks, and CSG pads. My last 86 Cup race I did have the oil cooler and lowering springs. Actually, lowering springs made 2 track appearances so far.

Track and Autocross
Going forward I'll add updates as they happen :burnrubber:

justinco 08-02-2023 01:13 AM

If anyone knows how to make the forum not automatically change my YouTube links into video embeds, lmk (rather have links that are clickable).
---------------------------------

The past couple weekends I have been getting my oil pressure setup working and got around to doing some test runs in the canyons a couple days ago.

Data setup
  • GJP IO Box with Honeywell oil pressure sensor and integrated OBD2 port adapter (instead of using OEM OBD2 port)
  • Sensor installed into capped port next to t-body (will test a remote install soon)
  • OBDLink MX bluetooth adapter
  • RaceChrono Pro

Full log of one of the sessions is here : RaceChrono csv log, canyon run 1

Short video snippets below. I'll be doing more further testing as tracks start opening up (too hot in Arizona right now).

justinco 08-06-2023 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up a couple parts so I can remote mount my oil pressure sensor off the block. Won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks as I'll be out of town racing my BMW this next weekend.

Oil pressure testing will resume after that.

Also, found a Kazama oil pan baffle someone was offloading (nib) and was able to scoop that up. Curious to test that out as well!

justinco 08-16-2023 09:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Acquired the Kazama oil pan baffle today. Hoping to get my baseline testing done in early September, then get the baffle installed for follow up testing.

gnarjunkie 08-17-2023 11:35 AM

Nice! That's a big baffle plate. Out of all the ones I've seen, that one seems like it would logically make the most sense.

Not that that necessarily means much lol :lol:

justinco 08-24-2023 12:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Chuckwalla track day on 9/2, running both CW and CCW so it will be good opportunity to test oil pressures on the track (pre-baffle). Several tests planned for baseline oil pressure testing on 2 different tire types (SX2 and RE71RS).

Also, remote mounted the oil pressure sensor and test filled my bare oil pan to see how much oil it holds (2qts).

gnarjunkie 08-24-2023 06:27 PM

So you dropped the pan but didn't put the new baffle in?

justinco 08-24-2023 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarjunkie (Post 3590848)
So you dropped the pan but didn't put the new baffle in?

It is a spare, new pan. Have not dropped the pan yet for the baffle.

gnarjunkie 08-25-2023 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justinco (Post 3590855)
It is a spare, new pan. Have not dropped the pan yet for the baffle.

Ah gotcha. I was thinking that seemed like a lot of effort to see how much oil it holds.

Looking forward to seeing how the new baffle works!

justinco 09-09-2023 04:51 PM

First event at Chuckwalla post summer break. Track was super dusty and slick, add GT Radials to that and it was a slow drift fest most of the morning. This was one of the few tame laps I got in before monsoon storm rolled in. My fastest time (this lap below) was 4.5 seconds slower than when my GR86 was nearly bone stock :o

This was also my baseline oil pressure testing day where I gathered some good data on right turn oil pressure loss. Kazama baffle will be installed next weekend, then back to Chuck on 9/23 and 9/24 for baffle testing.

09/02/2023 - SoCal Driver Club track day, Chuckwalla Valley Raceway

https://youtu.be/qqrWSVmEVA4

justinco 09-10-2023 04:01 PM

Also, here is the oil pressure testing video from the same Chuckwalla track day. Going back in 2 weeks with the Kazama baffle installed!

https://youtu.be/epuQNOGVkR0

DocWalt 09-18-2023 04:22 PM

Can't wait to see the Kazama video!

Thank you for documenting everything so well!

justinco 09-18-2023 06:54 PM

Kazama baffle installed this past weekend. Testing this Saturday/Sunday!

https://youtu.be/M9Mx4EmLHLA

autoracer86 09-18-2023 07:18 PM

Been watching a lot of your video's lately and just wanted to say thanks! They are very helpful and high quality. Keep it up