Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Cluster swap not cross-checking (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143574)

02maher 12-16-2020 11:08 AM

Cluster swap not cross-checking

Hello 👋🏽

Is it possible to swap a speedometer with a used one. I tried to do a « hand shake » with the techstream registering the communication ID but it doesn’t work and shows this message « Unable to cross-check with the meter/SCU ECU... please refer to the repair manual »

Thing is I had to swap my starting system and now I’m trying to at least have my original speedometer as it has the correct mileage in kilometers.

ichitaka05 12-17-2020 11:00 AM

I have used kouki 86 cluster gauge in my zenki BRZ. Working without an issue

gpvecchi 12-17-2020 04:12 PM

Keyless cars don't need cluster pairing, just cars with physical keys. For the first ones, just swap the clusters, regarding the second ones I have no experience, as not available in Europe.
BTW, the only way to restore Km is to desolder a chip. If the clusters come from same MY you can just swap the chips, otherwise you need someone to recode the chip.

02maher 12-17-2020 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3393711)
Keyless cars don't need cluster pairing, just cars with physical keys. For the first ones, just swap the clusters, regarding the second ones I have no experience, as not available in Europe.
BTW, the only way to restore Km is to desolder a chip. If the clusters come from same MY you can just swap the chips, otherwise you need someone to recode the chip.

Yeah my car isn’t the keyless version and the cluster that I have now is digital, unlike my original... So in this case my understanding is that the only way is to reprogram it right?

gpvecchi 12-18-2020 03:09 AM

If you have the 2017+ version with LCD display, it's specific for the keyless, I don't know if it will work on non keyless...

02maher 12-18-2020 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpvecchi (Post 3393806)
If you have the 2017+ version with LCD display, it's specific for the keyless, I don't know if it will work on non keyless...

No I have the 2013 model... both mine and the swapped one, differences are that my original is not digital and is in kilometers.

SAWYER 03-31-2024 03:05 PM

Any updates on this? Currently swapping my 2013 FRS Cluster with another one. (also from a 2013 FRS)… On Techstream when I attempt to do the handshake procedure I run into “Error ECU Communication ID Registration … Unable to cross-check with the meter / SCU ECU. Please refer to the repair manual.