Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Article posted on the valve recall engine murders (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133340)

srt4evah 03-08-2019 12:15 PM

Article posted on the valve recall engine murders

http://www.thedrive.com/news/26848/s...-their-engines

Brz_racer 03-08-2019 12:19 PM

If Toyota doesn't address this issue quickly it could turn into a class action lawsuit. Dealers need to start being honest about this and for God sake read the manual when doing the recall work. This problem could be easily avoided if the techs at the dealers did their job correctly and didnt try to cut corners.

pasternak 03-08-2019 12:23 PM

Wait, what?
Is this not accurate?: "Replacing valve springs is pretty basic and any half decent tech should be able to do it just fine."
I read it right here on the forum.

chipmunk 03-08-2019 01:01 PM

I just called the service director at our Subaru dealership. He is aware of these issues happening all over. And he mentioned some of the specific things (in the tech guidelines) to do and specific things NOT to do while working on boxer engine timing covers.

why? 03-08-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pasternak (Post 3193554)
Wait, what?
Is this not accurate?: "Replacing valve springs is pretty basic and any half decent tech should be able to do it just fine."

This is 100% not accurate on a boxer engine. Many people say once you open a boxer engine for the first time, it is never the same again.

humfrz 03-08-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why? (Post 3193572)
This is 100% not accurate on a boxer engine. Many people say once you open a boxer engine for the first time, it is never the same again.

I'm about to believe this, with the exception of @ermax.

humfrz

maslin 03-08-2019 01:24 PM

Quote:

Wait, what?

Building an engine isn't hard. Screwing up an engine isn't hard either. Effort... something that seems to be lacking in 20-somethings with flat brimmed hats and lifted diesel trucks.

guybo 03-08-2019 01:35 PM

It makes sense more FRSes have this issue than BRZes... A shit ton more FRSes were sold and are out there. Almost 3:1

I'm nervous though. My engine was replaced (not a used engine, a new long block) by Toyota last year. So far it's been good, but this recall thing makes me a little nervous that maybe Toyota techs can't handle building a boxer?

msaikhan 03-08-2019 01:43 PM

Quote:

Wait, what?

I was arguing with service manager at Toyota dealer after my engine started knocking. I told him this happened right after a major work done by your guys. And he says "It's not major work / difficult work" :bs:

I read the manual like 20 times now, seal application is super specific and far from basic. Someone with OCD should be building these engines.

MuseChaser 03-08-2019 02:43 PM

I read that article today; it was a well-presented, accurate summary of what's been presented on this forum and it's highly probable that Chris Tsui, the author, is one of us and a contributor to and/or originator of one or more of the threads. It's nice to see more and more public acknowledgement of the issue, and hopefully the dealerships that are trying to shift to the blame to the consumer will become fewer and fewer. I dropped my car off this morning and the service manager was well aware of the issues, and said that because of them there's a huge parts-availability problem now. I feel better about the whole thing than I did yesterday; he seemed confident that a new engine for my car will be forthcoming. He's been great about everything on this car and some of my others over the years, and I have no reason to believe he will be less than helpful this time.

wparsons 03-08-2019 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by why? (Post 3193572)

That's for splitting the block open, not pulling the valve covers and timing chain cover.

They aren't pulling the heads or splitting the block for this work.

Tgutz21 03-08-2019 03:46 PM

I took my 2013 BRZ in about 3 weeks ago for the recall. Since they were already doing the recall I asked what it would cost me to replace the clutch since it was starting to make a noise when it was engaged. They told me I would only charge me for parts and not labor since they’re pulling the engine anyway. Long story short I pick up the car last night and I drive it less than a quater mike and the engine dies. I was able to turn it back on and drive it back to the dealer. And it cut off just as I turned into the street and I just coasted it in a parking spot. They email me this morning wanting me to provide service records for the oil changes, because the block blew.. I’ve always done them myself at every 6-8k miles. I’m kinda worried they’re going to try to pin this on me when the car was running perfectly fine when I took it there. I’m curious as to what I should do or tell them if they try to send me a bill.

Tcoat 03-08-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Wait, what?

It is. The problem isn't with replacing the springs the problem is with Subaru's decision to do away with actual gaskets in favour of goop.

ka-t_240 03-08-2019 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tgutz21 (Post 3193653)
I took my 2013 BRZ in about 3 weeks ago for the recall. Since they were already doing the recall I asked what it would cost me to replace the clutch since it was starting to make a noise when it was engaged. They told me I would only charge me for parts and not labor since they’re pulling the engine anyway. Long story short I pick up the car last night and I drive it less than a quater mike and the engine dies. I was able to turn it back on and drive it back to the dealer. And it cut off just as I turned into the street and I just coasted it in a parking spot. They email me this morning wanting me to provide service records for the oil changes, because the block blew.. I’ve always done them myself at every 6-8k miles. I’m kinda worried they’re going to try to pin this on me when the car was running perfectly fine when I took it there. I’m curious as to what I should do or tell them if they try to send me a bill.

If the engine only lasted a couple of blocks its clearly a workmanship issue on their part. If the motor seized that quick, it should have been knocking when you dropped it off