Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My Detailed, Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Review (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70653)

Skeneypoo 07-23-2014 01:53 PM

My Detailed, Invidia N1 Catback Exhaust Review

Hey world. I would like to be as unbiased as possible in this review, because we are all different and have different views about how our cars should sound. I am 23, living on my own, and have always been a DIY car mod kind of guy. In highschool, I cut out all my cats and resonators on a honda prelude and LOVED it. But now I am a little more grown up and have realized that the perception others have on me, can effect the opportunities that present themselves in my life moving forward.

So, on to the install.
I jacked the car up at the rear diff, threw some jack stands under her and started the timer. I got the old system off, threw back 2 beers, and the Invidia N1 on in 45 min. It's honestly cake. I hung the tailpipes first, then bolted together the resonated pipe and the Y pipe on my workbench. It's easiest to hang the resonated pipe on the hanger, then install it at the front pipe, then lastly to the cans. 45 min later, the job was done.

I initally started her up without the silencers in, and it sounded good. Loud, but good. She was idling in my garage for 5 minutes and during that time, 3 of my neighbors came outside to see what was happening. I took her around the block and under 4k the car is a really deep, generic sound. Like, the loudest car on the road and everyone is looking at you thinking you could be driving a 95 civic with fart cannons on it. I really don't feel that it sounds good driving around town under 4.5k. If I was still in highschool, I would LOVE it like this. Seriously, so bad ass. But I have done excellent networking and even met some of the hottest chicks when stopped at red lights, but now everyone just rolls their windows up and I couldn't talk to them without screaming. Not cool. I only feel comfortable driving around town with my tinted windows up. I was able to talk on the phone using bluetooth fine, unless I was putting a load on the motor up to 4.5k.

Now, onto ABOVE 4.5k RPMs. I LOVE IT. It sounds like a quality exotic car should sound. Doesn't sound cheap, really brings out that "boxer" sound and is a crisp, bold, authentic performance vehicle sound. Didn't notice any drone crusing on freeways, unless I was dirving on a steady incline and the motor was under load. When crusing at 75 or 80, my car is at about 2.7k rpms and it is silent.

Would I refer this to a friend? Yes, but the exhaust does not just deliever a "deep" sound. It is loud, rumbly, deep, and loud.

I am going to be posting a video this afternoon demonstrating a bunch of different driving styles. Redlights, canyons, freeways, and high RPMs.

wheelhaus 07-23-2014 02:31 PM

Invidias are definitely not known for being quiet, but they do sound "good" and are made well. I had them on an 04 STi and 06 Evo MR, both were catless. On those platforms though, the turbo does a bit to mellow out the sound. I'm with you, now I'm 35 and would prefer something sporty and fun, but not as loud. I don't care to eek out every ounce of HP and I'm not out to prove anything, but the stock exhaust note/engine noise is just too limp.

It might be worth looking into some of the designs like Perrin, that use a canister instead of the straight through "round can" design. They might be better at quelling the noise at low/mid rpm.

SubiePig 07-23-2014 02:41 PM

I never drove mine without UEL headers, overpipe, and front pipe installed but with a full exhaust it gets pretty loud. Drone is there on the highway for me. Silencers in its pretty quiet and nice to drive on long trips and just remove them at the track. Its a good exhaust for the money, only issue I had was the hanger on the passenger side muffler right before the bumper had the weld fail. My car sees a lot of track time though so it is slung around a good bit.

Skeneypoo 07-23-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhaus (Post 1861622)
Invidias are definitely not known for being quiet, but they do sound "good" and are made well. I had them on an 04 STi and 06 Evo MR, both were catless. On those platforms though, the turbo does a bit to mellow out the sound. I'm with you, now I'm 35 and would prefer something sporty and fun, but not as loud. I don't care to eek out every ounce of HP and I'm not out to prove anything, but the stock exhaust note/engine noise is just too limp.

It might be worth looking into some of the designs like Perrin, that use a canister instead of the straight through "round can" design. They might be better at quelling the noise at low/mid rpm.

I was thinking something similar! I am going to throw the silencers in today, although they do ruin the look of the car. I'm picking up a few girlfriends today and getting their opinions on getting picked up by a guy with a car this loud. I love this car. I enjoy the + of it being a panty dropper

mfbmike 07-23-2014 08:05 PM

Most exhausts do quiet down a bit after carbon builds up. Thanks for the review. Leaning towards one of these for myself.

FR-S Matt 07-23-2014 08:13 PM

Should hear the N1 with a UEL header. Glorious.

akahenry 07-24-2014 02:52 AM

Hopefully when I add UEL Headers to my M7 Cat back (same dual canister design as the N1), I'll have a deep and, hopefully not over-bearing, loud set up- similar to a WRX. If not, as long as there's rumble, I'm content.

FR-S Matt 07-24-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akahenry (Post 1862867)
Hopefully when I add UEL Headers to my M7 Cat back (same dual canister design as the N1), I'll have a deep and, hopefully not over-bearing, loud set up- similar to a WRX. If not, as long as there's rumble, I'm content.

It's not overbearing to me, but people's version of overbearing varies. It's loud, it's deep, and it really rumbles like a WRX with the N1. Drone is less than N1 on stock front parts, but it's there slightly.