Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Engine Swap (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20229)

cf6mech 10-19-2012 06:56 PM

Engine Swap

Question ! ....... Has anyone considered or is it possible engine mount / room wise,...of course tranny and clutch aside...putting a Subaru WRX or STI engine in the FRS/BRZ....is it feasable?....without major work?

Guff 10-19-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cf6mech (Post 508588)
Question ! ....... Has anyone considered or is it possible engine mount / room wise,...of course tranny and clutch aside...putting a Subaru WRX or STI engine in the FRS/BRZ....is it feasable?....without major work?

It has already been done numerous times. Ken Gushi's car being an example.

If you search for an EJ swapped FRS you will find lots.

cf6mech 10-19-2012 07:07 PM

Simple or major surgery is what I'm after.

Opposed 10-19-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cf6mech (Post 508613)

Meh, this block has already handled over 500whp on two cars on here already. Im not sure I would want to swap an older technology engine, especially with their timing belts...ick. But, whatever floats your boat:thumbup:

Grip Ronin 10-19-2012 07:59 PM

i talked to Gushi at formula d about it. It mounts in really close but its a custom trans on it, so i havnt heard if the rs trans is similar bolt pattern. i doubt it but there working on building the fa motor to drop back in when parts are available.
http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012...R-S-Engine.jpg

Calum 10-19-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cf6mech (Post 508613)

You're talking about putting a motor in a car that was never meant to hold it. The external dimensions of the EJ and FA are close enough that it could physically fit, but engine mounts and bell housing bolt pattern are almost certainly different. Not to mention tuning and the stock gauges probably wont work either. You'll have to ask yourself if that's major surgery or not.

The real question is why. A set of pistons & rods and a turbo setup would most likely be cheaper and easier. And from what we've seen so far, the FA would be the much better choice.

wparsons 10-19-2012 09:16 PM

The stock engine on stock internals is holding up to boost better than a stock WRX engine does at the same power levels so far, so going to a WRX or STI engine is a downgrade IMO.

If you want gobs of power, pistons + rods + lots of boost and you'll be plenty happy, and for far less than just the parts required to get either the WRX or STI engine in.

cf6mech 10-19-2012 09:24 PM

Have the AP turbo sitting at my tuner as we speak.....just musing with you guys,.... I'm sure eventual LS engines will find there way into a FRS/BRZ. What the FA20 lacks most in my opinion is torque,.... the STI engine is torque'er.

Mr.Jay 10-19-2012 09:31 PM

there's already a thread about a brz getting a ls2

Apoc 10-19-2012 09:32 PM

I am putting a flux capacitor on my FA 20. I will come back from the future at tell you it runs off discarded Iphones as a fuel source in 2017

cf6mech 10-19-2012 09:39 PM

Geez ! ...... rough crowd here,..... bunch of wise asses!.....APOC very good....two movies Back to the future and Iron Sky.

Mr.Jay 10-19-2012 09:41 PM

I think a bunch of us are sick of new members coming in here makin g threads we have already discussed long before without searching at all

I mean we had a guy ask if anyone has seen or had any info on a set of headlights... which were the 86 top spec headlights

cf6mech 10-19-2012 09:54 PM

Ok,....not new to the forum tho,....just don't post much......

Grip Ronin 11-15-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cf6mech (Post 508840)
Have the AP turbo sitting at my tuner as we speak.....just musing with you guys,.... I'm sure eventual LS engines will find there way into a FRS/BRZ. What the FA20 lacks most in my opinion is torque,.... the STI engine is torque'er.

it does lack torque but its use of square dimensions, and it only being a 2L will allow it to rev higher after heads start to be built. always useful for all motor race applications