Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Autocross Helmet - Open or Closed Face? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126556)

RJasonKlein 03-30-2018 11:49 PM

Autocross Helmet - Open or Closed Face?

I’ve been shopping for my first helmet and thought I’d ask the experts for an opinion. To race in SCCA Street Modified it looks like I need a Snell M-rated helmet, but because I’d like to be able to do DE or club racing eventually, I’ve been looking at helmets with an SA2015 rating. Do you guys generally prefer open or closed face helmets, and why? I don’t want to spend an obscene amount of money, but I generally prefer to buy quality items and, well, you only get one brain. How much have you guys generally spent, and where’s the sweet spot for quality and value? What are some models you would recommend and where do you suggest I shop for the best selection and price?

Thanks in advance - any insight you can give a newbie is appreciated!

Briankbot 03-31-2018 12:10 AM

I have both. I can't answer all your questions but I'll say this:

Open face is my go to for autocross because I feel like it is a little cooler (temperature wise) and is easier to drink water, put sunglasses on, etc. That said, the closed face offers better protection and is necessary if you ever get the chance to hop in a car without a windshield. And you don't want to miss that chance because it's probably a mod class car and a ton of fun.

There seems to be two camps in terms of price: 1. Get the most expensive helmet you can because you only get one brain. 2. All helmets pass the same impact tests for a certain certification and more expensive ones aren't necessarily safer.

Whatever you decide to do, try on as many different brands as you can to see what fits the shape of your head. Different brands tend to fit certain head shapes.

strat61caster 03-31-2018 02:01 AM

I got closed because once every year or two I do a session of indoor karting and don't want to use the loaner helmets. Also fantasies of driving cool cars like ^

Open does look nice for autox though
Edit: definitely spring for sa2015 I know some hpdes don't allow M rated helmets, you never know what will catch your fancy in a few years

CSG Mike 03-31-2018 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJasonKlein (Post 3066080)
I’ve been shopping for my first helmet and thought I’d ask the experts for an opinion. To race in SCCA Street Modified it looks like I need a Snell M-rated helmet, but because I’d like to be able to do DE or club racing eventually, I’ve been looking at helmets with an SA2015 rating. Do you guys generally prefer open or closed face helmets, and why? I don’t want to spend an obscene amount of money, but I generally prefer to buy quality items and, well, you only get one brain. How much have you guys generally spent, and where’s the sweet spot for quality and value? What are some models you would recommend and where do you suggest I shop for the best selection and price?

Thanks in advance - any insight you can give a newbie is appreciated!

On the chance you EVER end up at a track, get closed faced. You want that eye protection with the visor down.

I own both open and closed face helmets, and the only time I use an open faced helmet is when I'm in a car with the windows up, and without a comm system.

ctmandu 03-31-2018 02:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a really nice closed face and luv it , it is snell 2015 rated and was only $99 at revzilla

ZionsWrath 03-31-2018 02:46 AM

Once you take a pebble to the eye the choice will become clear xD

coxxoc 03-31-2018 11:29 AM

The expensive helmets usually have better construction, adjustable fitment with different check pads, more options on visors, more airflow options, and are lighter weight.

Airflow and weight mattered a lot when I was riding motorcycles all the time. Adjustable airflow is good so you can keep cool in the summer and make sure the visor remains fog free on cold or humid days. Nicer visors offer tear offs for bugs or dirt.
Lower weight make a big difference if you are in open air environments (convertible or motorcycle) to keep your neck and shoulders from getting fatigue.

Open vs closed face discussions have been running for years. Here it the core question you need to answer. How much personal risk are you willing to accept? One will protect your face, and one will not.

bslate3 03-31-2018 12:36 PM

I have a Black Armor open face helmet and I love it for autocross, especially in Texas summers.

I’d like to get a full face one for Karting and track events though.

cjd 03-31-2018 02:13 PM

Closed face. Get the best fit. I ended up in an Arai, but the difference in comfort was huge. No regrets on cost. Also, on the chance of an incident... Neither I or the driver had any side effects from airbags because full face helmets and gloves. And fortunately, no whiplash at all because airbags.

There are a few shops around but I made the drive up to Pegasus and tried a bunch of helmets, quite worth the trip.

steverife 04-02-2018 07:02 AM

I ran an open faced for the first 10 or so years of autocross. Bought a closed faced when that expired. I had a problem getting dusk/debris in my eyes and the closed face seems to minimize that.... at the expense of not grabbing that last second sip of water, people not being able to hear you talk, etc.

M0nk3y 04-02-2018 08:22 AM

IMO - Price cannot be saved for a good helmet.

I ran a HJC AR-10ii for a couple years, and it's a good entry level helmet IMO. Really had no complaints at all.

Then, I just purchased an Arai GP-68 and the difference is incredible. Fits so much better and less weight - I can wear it all day and not notice it.

tl;dr - Get a helmet that fits you the best - Searching based off price or looks is not the right way to do it

Shinchu 04-03-2018 01:37 PM

jeez, i might need a new helmet... mine is SA2000 open face. i cant even remember what brand it is but its open face.
bell?
it was cheap but not cheap enough to be scared... Vega?
yeah. looks like the X380 but mine is pearl white and i am pretty sure mine has closeable vents too.
http://www.vegahelmet.com/open-face-...selection.html

but if i need a new skid lid, this is really tempting...
http://www.hjchelmets.com/hjcus/port.../#.WsO7h4WcF7g
integrated visor so its open face with eye pro!

but yeah i tried the Vega on at a store, highly recommend going and trying stuff on, even if you don't like the prices there just try it and find it cheaper online but WEAR IT FIRST!!!!

Code Monkey 04-03-2018 02:42 PM

Get a close face helmet. Do not buy online, go to a store and try different helmets. Put a balaclava on, put the helmet on, see how easy it is to sneak sunglasses through the visor. Some helmets are easy, some are a bitch. Do the same for a headset (Chatterbox etc) if you have one. Without a balaclava, the interior of the helmet will disintegrate from sweat after a few years.

BlueWhelan 04-03-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 3066761)
IMO - Price cannot be saved for a good helmet.

I ran a HJC AR-10ii for a couple years, and it's a good entry level helmet IMO. Really had no complaints at all.

Then, I just purchased an Arai GP-68 and the difference is incredible. Fits so much better and less weight - I can wear it all day and not notice it.

tl;dr - Get a helmet that fits you the best - Searching based off price or looks is not the right way to do it

I recently bought the newest version of the HJC AR to replace my old Bell Sport. One of the reasons I bought it was that it fit me much like the Bell did, which I liked. I agree, it's solid entry level lid if you mostly just stick to auto-x like I do.

However, I also agree that if you're going to a racetrack on a semi-regular basis, you should dip a bit further into your budget and get a higher tier helmet. I mean, you're going to be spending similar $$ on pads and tires anyway, right? :thumbup: