Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   HELP ...My rear rce tarmac2 w/ raceseng 2" option top hats (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119350)

Vten 06-09-2017 11:38 PM

HELP ...My rear rce tarmac2 w/ raceseng 2" option top hats

Just installed the rce tarmac2 coilover With the 2" raceengs top hats and they're super noisy!! I got the set of tarmac2 from a local Buddy, he used them with oem top hats without any problem and now I got the raceseng top hats they're clunking on every road seams. I triple checked all the bolts and nuts, they are super tight already, Is this normal at all ?

I'm on wedsports 17x9 et35 w/ 255/40 hankook rs4 , -3.5° camber and 0 toe, I set the height about 25" from the ground to the fender all around and oem sway bar and links .

Went to a local shop and they said the rear struts were blown ....

Any input would be appreciated,
Thx guys

byun 06-10-2017 01:47 AM

I'm running my tarmac2 w/ raceseng mounts front and rear and mine are silent. Sounds like something might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trac Toy 06-10-2017 02:37 AM

Actually I have the same issue with my 2" top hats. I'm using them with KW coilovers.

I swapped them out back to the stock upper mounts and it's silent once again.

I don't think it's your spring choice, I think it's something to do with the top hats themselves. Maybe the upper and lower shock bushings that come with the top hats are loose, or the tolerance is off a bit... not sure.

I haven't yet approached @Raceseng about it yet as the car has been put away for the winter I'm busy at work so far and haven't even driven the car yet this year.

oldgunfan 06-10-2017 08:16 AM

https://www.subarupartsamerica.com/p...iagram=7610485 Look at the diagram in the link. Did you put a new #4 they call it a spring seat seal, your OEM tophats should have it on there but it could be torn or broken.

Vten 06-10-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byun (Post 2926229)
I'm running my tarmac2 w/ raceseng mounts front and rear and mine are silent. Sounds like something might be wrong.

Are you using the 2" rear top hats too ?

Vten 06-10-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trac Toy (Post 2926243)
Actually I have the same issue with my 2" top hats. I'm using them with KW coilovers.

I swapped them out back to the stock upper mounts and it's silent once again.

I don't think it's your spring choice, I think it's something to do with the top hats themselves. Maybe the upper and lower shock bushings that come with the top hats are loose, or the tolerance is off a bit... not sure.

I haven't yet approached @Raceseng about it yet as the car has been put away for the winter I'm busy at work so far and haven't even driven the car yet this year.

That's what I'm suspecting too, the shock bushing that comes with the top hats seems a tad short or maybe has a little room to wiggle around, or the spherical bushing on top is something wrong....

I may try to use the oem top hats to find out if the top hats is the culprit this Sunday.

Vten 06-10-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgunfan (Post 2926300)
https://www.subarupartsamerica.com/p...iagram=7610485 Look at the diagram in the link. Did you put a new #4 they call it a spring seat seal, your OEM tophats should have it on there but it could be torn or broken.

I'm not using the oem top hats currently, I'm using the raceseng rear top hats with the 2" extra bump room, but thinking to switch to the oem just out of my curiosity.

Racecomp Engineering 06-10-2017 11:11 AM

We generally don't recommend the 2" raceseng drop mounts for the rear with our RCE coilovers. 1 inch are okay.

I would reinstall with OEM rear top mounts and see if the noise goes away.

- Andrew

oldgunfan 06-10-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 2926353)
We generally don't recommend the 2" raceseng drop mounts for the rear with our RCE coilovers. 1 inch are okay.

- Andrew

Well i gess that answers that, but that rubber seal I was tell you about should dampen some of the noise.

Vten 06-10-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 2926353)

- Andrew

Aww man, wished if i knew this before getting them @Raceseng, But yeah I'll put the oem top hats back on tomorrow to sort out this issue.

And @Racecomp Engineering , what's the cost to rebuild the rears in the case if they're need to be rebuild ? And what to look for if a strut need to be rebuild beside if it is leaking oil ?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the inputs

Vten 06-10-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgunfan (Post 2926357)
Well i gess that answers that, but that rubber seal I was tell you about should dampen some of the noise.

Yeah but I don't think it'll fit in between the tarmac2 springs and the raceseng tophats tho....I'll double check the figment tomorrow.

byun 06-10-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vten (Post 2926310)
Are you using the 2" rear top hats too ?

I'm running the 1". How low did you drop the car? Maybe try raising it a bit to see if it gets rid of the noise.

Vten 06-10-2017 02:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by byun (Post 2926397)
I'm running the 1". How low did you drop the car? Maybe try raising it a bit to see if it gets rid of the noise.

I'm not sure how low i drop them , but it's measured 25" all around from the ground to fender at this moment.

solidONE 06-11-2017 03:21 PM

Nice touch with the white calipers. (y)