Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Ideas on custom built strut tower brace? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137585)

Polmtree 11-01-2019 05:56 PM

Ideas on custom built strut tower brace?

I want to install a strut tower brace on my stock 2014 FRS and I was curious if anyone has built their own? I feel like with some metal, a welder, and some measurements I could build my own and just bolt it onto the top of the struts. A few things I was wondering in particular is:
1. can you keep the stock braces that connect up near the firewall and have a strut brace going across the motor?
2. What metal does everyone recommend and at what thickness?
3. Any other info I’m not thinking of or haven’t mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

NoHaveMSG 11-01-2019 07:11 PM

Ideas on custom built strut tower brace?

1. Yes
2. 4140 Seamless. Material thickness will depend on design, .065-.095 should be plenty.
3. The mount to the tower itself is going to be the part that is tough to make cleanly if you don't have a good plasma.

EAGLE5 11-01-2019 07:13 PM

1. I don't see why not. You might need longer bolts.
2. Stiff metal tubing.
3. It's easier, much easier, to just buy one. Also lighter, less likely to damage things, and probably better made. I mean, if you were gonna do a pro job, you'd have already done it is my guess.

Stomachbuzz 12-16-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polmtree (Post 3272083)
I want to install a strut tower brace on my stock 2014 FRS and I was curious if anyone has built their own? I feel like with some metal, a welder, and some measurements I could build my own and just bolt it onto the top of the struts. A few things I was wondering in particular is:
1. can you keep the stock braces that connect up near the firewall and have a strut brace going across the motor?
2. What metal does everyone recommend and at what thickness?
3. Any other info I’m not thinking of or haven’t mentioned would be greatly appreciated.

While it's almost insulting how simple a strut tower brace is, for the price of them...just buy one.

soundman98 12-16-2019 10:30 PM

there are only 3 reasons to build your own.

1. because you can.
2. because you have the tools/shop.
3. because building one is more fun.

there is no cost benefit.

wparsons 12-17-2019 09:59 AM

There isn't really a performance benefit to them unless you're running MUCH higher spring rates and have replaced all the bushings in the suspension with spherical bearings. The amount of deflection measured on a bone stock car is tiny, Grimspeed did lots of testing and it's very minimal.

86MLR 12-17-2019 04:18 PM

Titanium

NoHaveMSG 12-17-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3283790)
There isn't really a performance benefit to them unless you're running MUCH higher spring rates and have replaced all the bushings in the suspension with spherical bearings. The amount of deflection measured on a bone stock car is tiny, Grimspeed did lots of testing and it's very minimal.

But no one can see my bushings and spherical bearings. How are they going to know it's a mock race car ? :cry:

86MLR 12-17-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3283928)
But no one can see my bushings and spherical bearings. How are they going to know it's a mock race car ? :cry:

Tow hooks?????

:cheers:

Contender 12-21-2019 03:53 PM

Why do people add weight to a car with so little power. Like Strut braces, big ass sound system, fat tires/rims, Yeah...I get the race car look...but it's got to be embracing when your race car gets beat by a weight reduction stock looking 86 and your girlfriend is laughing at you because you got your ass whipped. Anyways if your adding anything at least try and remove that much in weight so your not adding to it. Just my 2 cents

soundman98 12-22-2019 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contender (Post 3284955)
Why do people add weight to a car with so little power. Like Strut braces, big ass sound system, fat tires/rims, Yeah...I get the race car look...but it's got to be embracing when your race car gets beat by a weight reduction stock looking 86 and your girlfriend is laughing at you because you got your ass whipped. Anyways if your adding anything at least try and remove that much in weight so your not adding to it. Just my 2 cents

does costco sell girlfriends?

the sound system is a critical safety system. it keeps me sane!

Contender 12-24-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3285074)
does costco sell girlfriends?

the sound system is a critical safety system. it keeps me sane!

Lol if they did I would shop there more often lol
Far enough on the sound system but, I believe if your going to add anything to this platform try to remove that much in weight or take a big shit before you drive...hahahah

SuperTom 01-20-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3283790)

Was always curious if they could just be removed. Id really rather just save the 2lbs up front

NoHaveMSG 01-20-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTom (Post 3292032)
Was always curious if they could just be removed. Id really rather just save the 2lbs up front

Remove them, tie a string in their place just ever so slightly snug. Lift up one tire a couple inches and see if there is deflection. Ghetto, but worth a shot.