Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   high power-low db prototype muffler (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95331)

AceHeader-MT 09-25-2015 05:10 AM

high power-low db prototype muffler

4 Attachment(s)
ODM project sneak peak

Happy driving,
Team Ace

Captain Snooze 09-25-2015 05:26 AM

Could you please tell me/us what style of muffler is this? That is, is it baffled, straight through? Is there packing material involved that is going to age and result in a louder muffler?
What are the chances of a single exit muffler with the same design criteria of high flow low noise?

Kodename47 09-25-2015 05:48 AM

Initial impressions is that the exits hang too low, it doesn't look quite right. Might depend on larger tips but those look smaller than OEM.

Brzerker 09-25-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 2401019)
Could you please tell me/us what style of muffler is this? That is, is it baffled, straight through? Is there packing material involved that is going to age and result in a louder muffler?
What are the chances of a single exit muffler with the same design criteria of high flow low noise?

This is a little OT question, but I have always wondered, why when the packing material has "aged" there will be an increase in volume?

phobos512 09-25-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brzerker (Post 2401113)
This is a little OT question, but I have always wondered, why when the packing material has "aged" there will be an increase in volume?

It doesn't age per se - it gets moved around and compacted as a result of the exhaust flow and thus doesn't absorb sound as readily as time goes on.

AceHeader-MT 09-25-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 2401019)

Hey Snooze, muffler has a unique baffle design. Since it is not ours that's all I can say.

There is no packing material.

It's up to the designer if they want to do a single exit version. But everything is possible

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodename47 (Post 2401021)
Initial impressions is that the exits hang too low, it doesn't look quite right. Might depend on larger tips but those look smaller than OEM.

If the general public thinks it's too low it's a simple thing to modify. Again, up to the designers.

The tips are from a factory FR-S which are small to begin with.

sw20kosh 09-25-2015 11:11 AM

Has it been tested with ace header and front pipe? ;) Any sound clips or videos? I can't wait to ditch the rattling stock axleback!

RehabJeff86 09-25-2015 11:57 AM

Im in for single exit weight saving version

AceHeader-MT 09-25-2015 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 2401167)
Has it been tested with ace header and front pipe? ;) Any sound clips or videos? I can't wait to ditch the rattling stock axleback!

Car has Type B350 with OEM FP and MP

Not the best video...constructive criticism is greatly appreciated

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcc_yUqpuwQ"]ODM prototype - YouTube[/ame]

Shady195 09-25-2015 01:25 PM

WOW! Thats quiet!

I think for someone looking for a near stock sound it will be perfect. However while I'm okay with the DB level, I wish the exhaust note was sharper.

ck-GT86 09-25-2015 01:36 PM

Sounds good to me, I'd want that if it was a full catback plus bigger tips.

.ck

djliquidsteele 09-25-2015 09:17 PM

Yeah, I think bigger tips are a must. Say 4", angle cut to match the angle of the number cutout.

olsonpg 09-25-2015 09:26 PM

Excited!!

Any plans for full catback?

4.5 / 4 inch tips? Ti option? Ballpark Eta? (i know thats a little obnoxious to ask so early in the r&d, but if you think you'll have the first ones out within a year I would definitely wait).

Just installed Ace header and in the market for a catback now.

Love your products !

Phil

Aztec 09-25-2015 09:34 PM

At what point would this be needed over stock OEM catback? Can you test gains, if any, from using this rather than a stock catback?