Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help installing Overpipe (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136933)

juniorrr 09-20-2019 01:29 AM

Help installing Overpipe

Hey guys so I’m about to install my Tomei Overpipe soon and I was just wondering if you guys could break down for me how to install it the proper way. If there’s a diy thread for this feel free to link. Thanks I appreciate it guys!

86MLR 09-20-2019 02:11 AM

Youtube it mate

Lantanafrs2 09-20-2019 02:58 AM

Big hammer. In all seriousness there are some YouTube videos detailing the installation.

86MLR 09-20-2019 03:39 AM

Pull the engine mount bolts

EndlessAzure 09-20-2019 01:16 PM

Takes some serious tetris.

Need to remove heatshield from stock overpipe. Otherwise, you'll need to lift the engine a bit

weederr33 09-20-2019 04:38 PM

You actually don't need to lift the engine. You can rotate the piping and finagle it over the subframe once you've taken the heat shielding off. Though taking the headers off or the front pipe off significantly helps. Otherwise, yeah you might need to jack the motor. As for the rest of the install, it's seriously unbolting something and then bolting it back in.

Clutch Dog 09-20-2019 06:13 PM

best way I was able to do this

jack car up.
secure with wheel chocks
find the engine mount bolts to lower subframe, loosen and back off but do not remove completely
take floor jack on a wide 2x6 and jack up on oil pan.
remove over pipe, and place into position new overpipe. let engine back down and tighten

move overpipe into position and tighten down.

thats how i did it easy day and no worries about the engine moving too much. the nut threaded on the bolt will prevent you from remving it too much

juniorrr 09-22-2019 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EndlessAzure (Post 3259517)
Takes some serious tetris.

Need to remove heatshield from stock overpipe. Otherwise, you'll need to lift the engine a bit

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3259587)
You actually don't need to lift the engine. You can rotate the piping and finagle it over the subframe once you've taken the heat shielding off. Though taking the headers off or the front pipe off significantly helps. Otherwise, yeah you might need to jack the motor. As for the rest of the install, it's seriously unbolting something and then bolting it back in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch Dog (Post 3259606)
best way I was able to do this

jack car up.
secure with wheel chocks
find the engine mount bolts to lower subframe, loosen and back off but do not remove completely
take floor jack on a wide 2x6 and jack up on oil pan.
remove over pipe, and place into position new overpipe. let engine back down and tighten

move overpipe into position and tighten down.

thats how i did it easy day and no worries about the engine moving too much. the nut threaded on the bolt will prevent you from remving it too much

Thanks guys for your inputs and may there’s two medthods so far I guess heat shield and and play around or just lifer it. I have a question if I left up the engine by the oilpan with a piece of wood, could this dmg the oil pan in anyway? I was worried it would and wanted to do it the other method but I’m not sure if it does or doesn’t let me know. I’m assuming lifting the engine is faster?

Clutch Dog 09-22-2019 02:04 PM

Wide piece of wood on the oil pan. The oil pan is steel and you aren't hitting it with force. Just lifting it up a smidge. And it'll be fine.

Hawk77FT 09-22-2019 06:36 PM

Use this tip: try doing it from the front of the car to the back. I have installed several of them with no issues whatsoever. If is one of those big fck off one, like 2.75 or 3", loosen the engine mounts bolts and lift the engine up a little. Use a piece of timber to lift it by the oil pan.

Good luck bro!