Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   4U-GSE: the new engine swap for old Toyotas (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2927)

no_name 12-16-2011 03:23 PM

4U-GSE: the new engine swap for old Toyotas

Just had a thought: once kids start wrapping their FR-S/BRZs around telephone poles, there might be a good selection of these engines around. With it's high output for size, the 4UGSE could become a very popular engine swap for old Toyotas and other cars, like the 4AGE was and continues to be. Drop it into a AE86 or nice old Celica Supra and you'd have one sweet ride, so long as it will fit.

RegisBou 12-17-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_name (Post 99368)
Just had a thought: once kids start wrapping their FR-S/BRZs around telephone poles, there might be a good selection of these engines around. With it's high output for size, the 4UGSE could become a very popular engine swap for old Toyotas and other cars, like the 4AGE was and continues to be. Drop it into a AE86 or nice old Celica Supra and you'd have one sweet ride, so long as it will fit.

Hats off to you!

Great idea...:party0030:

[es vi: eks] 12-18-2011 04:06 AM

I remember seeing a thread of one guy that fitted a WRX engine into a last gen Celica. I cant remember how much work there was to make it fit...
Also there is some one fitting a WRX engine into a old starlet in NZ.
So it is possible....

Im more interested in seeing a FA20 go into an old leone/brumby or even 1400.

arghx7 12-18-2011 05:37 PM

Somebody may figure it out eventually but there is additional complexity because this engine has an electronic throttle and the ECU expects to communicate with a bunch of other control modules.

Most of the common engine swaps are 90s engines using throttle cables and very basic control systems.

Neutral_Eyes 12-18-2011 06:20 PM

I think its width will prohibit many potential swaps. It certainly won't be the next 4AGE, which is popular in FR, FF, and MR cars.

SUB-FT86 12-18-2011 07:07 PM

I was just looking at the output of the 4AGE and I can't find a reason why someone would swap it in something light. I think the F22C1 engine would be one of the best swaps for a really light car.

WingsofWar 12-18-2011 10:40 PM

F22c1 is a good swap for small light cars..

Also 13bt rotary is also an acceptable small engine in a small car.

Another is the corvette LS1 engine is an acceptable engine in a small car. The all aluminum LS1 weighs less than a 13bt rotary engine.

But like Neutral_Eyes said, the width of the engine itself is very problematic, you wont see many cars that will accept a boxer engine between the frame rails. Especially in cars like the silvia and rx7. So the FA20 might not be as popular as the 4AGE among the spread of tuner communities.

Syldrin 12-19-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arghx7 (Post 100462)
Somebody may figure it out eventually but there is additional complexity because this engine has an electronic throttle and the ECU expects to communicate with a bunch of other control modules.

Most of the common engine swaps are 90s engines using throttle cables and very basic control systems.

generally i think for the most part people that do swaps use a stand alone and you can kill DBW with a stand alone and do cable throttle.

arghx7 12-19-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syldrin (Post 100833)
generally i think for the most part people that do swaps use a stand alone and you can kill DBW with a stand alone and do cable throttle.

Name me a standalone that can control the D-4S system.

Syldrin 12-19-2011 01:44 PM

AEM X-finity and Motec.

Syldrin 12-19-2011 01:50 PM

he does have a point tho tranz. there isnt a reason you can't switch between oils. :D

arghx7 12-19-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syldrin (Post 100864)
AEM X-finity and Motec.

Even a Motec M880, their most expensive product, can't control direct injection. Solenoid-type direct injectors usually run on 60 volts (peak-and-hold but voltage controlled) and have a special control module. It doesn't mean they will never support it, but it could be years before an affordable standalone comes around that will be capable of controlling the D-4S system.

Syldrin 12-19-2011 04:02 PM

my mistake then i thought the 880 could. pretty sure the x-finity will be able to control direct injection.

WingsofWar 12-19-2011 04:05 PM

hey arghx! a fellow rx7clubmember, nice of you to join us here!

This guy is super awesome and i can vouch for his smartness.