Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BRZ funny Handling (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136092)

frswildcat 07-31-2019 11:04 AM

BRZ funny Handling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel (Post 2027645)
So I got two new winter tires that I put on rear wheels (front were still good for one season). I got Pirelli Sottozero 3 xl 225x45x18. My front tires are 225x40x18. After I put those tires on, the car just drives horribly. Whenever I accelerate or decelerate, car pulls to either side. When driving on a highway at 75, I constantly have to steer left or right, as car wouldn't just go straight, it slowly pulls to either side. And traction control kicks in at even slow speeds around bends. In simple terms, the car just feels wobbly. My last winter tire was Sottozero 2 that I was pretty happy with. But the new model is just undrivable. Is it because it is a taller tire (45 vs. 40) or because they are just really bad tires? Any ideas?

So I dug this up from a 2014 post but I am having a very similar issue. I do have an air bubble in my front right but I dont think that is the cause. I lose traction and the car tries to spin at low speeds around bends in the middle of the texas summer and just had two new tires replaced. Additionally I have the issue of the car suddenly trying to pull to one side especially during shifts. Any Ideas?

8RZ 07-31-2019 11:07 AM

When was the last time you had an alignment?

frswildcat 07-31-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3243025)
When was the last time you had an alignment?

I have had the car for just over a year so assuming that long if AutoNation had it aligned before selling.

Vital 07-31-2019 11:13 AM

Check the tire pressure, check if the wheels are balanced, get an alignment possibly

Tcoat 07-31-2019 11:15 AM

Is everything stock?

frswildcat 07-31-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3243032)
Is everything stock?

Bone Stock. (minus carbon gear knob) but Im thinking about those rims that 8RZ posted now. I feel as though it might be relevant to mention the fact that it does have 112k miles one it and I dont know its service history. I was in a minor rear end collision and it was after it was fixed I first started to notice funny handling but it wasnt until I got a nail in my right rear and had both tires replaced that I noticed it in full force.

Tcoat 07-31-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frswildcat (Post 3243034)
Bone Stock. (minus carbon gear knob) but Im thinking about those rims that 8RZ posted now. I feel as though it might be relevant to mention the fact that it does have 112k miles one it and I dont know its service history. I was in a minor rear end collision and it was after it was fixed I first started to notice funny handling but it wasnt until I got a nail in my right rear and had both tires replaced that I noticed it in full force.

I would start with an alignment but you may also have a wheel speed sensor that is tweaked from the collision.

frswildcat 07-31-2019 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3243036)
I would start with an alignment but you may also have a wheel speed sensor that is tweaked from the collision.

I really hope its the alignment but the guy whose post I stole said it didnt correct it for him.

I would doubt its the wheel speed sensors because this was a very minor collision (happened in a parking lot backing out of a space and didnt even require any replacement of body panels (The entire parts list to fix it was just touch up paint a bumper retainer and a tail light, Although some body panels did need reworking just not replacing)

8RZ 07-31-2019 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frswildcat (Post 3243037)
I really hope its the alignment but the guy whose post I stole said it didnt correct it for him.

I would doubt its the wheel speed sensors because this was a very minor collision (happened in a parking lot backing out of a space and didnt even require any replacement of body panels (The entire parts list to fix it was just touch up paint a bumper retainer and a tail light, Although some body panels did need reworking just not replacing)

But at least a shop would be able to tell if there's something else bent or broken suspension-wise if they can't get it back in spec.

frswildcat 07-31-2019 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 3243041)
But at least a shop would be able to tell if there's something else bent or broken suspension-wise if they can't get it back in spec.

This is very true. The point of this post was to get a list of things to have them check out so I dont have to keep going back when one thing doesnt fix it or they cant find anything wrong.

WolfpackS2k 07-31-2019 12:16 PM

These cars can be very sensitive to tire pressure, though that doesn't have anything to do with you spinning tires.

subaru 07-31-2019 02:38 PM

If the rear shocks are completely blown it can cause the car to misbehave when cornering on bumps.

You NEED to have your alignment and suspension checked immediately. I mean if your car suddenly feels like it wants to spin out after being repaired from a collision. ugh? Usually I try to refrain from being rude but come on man.

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea. I rather run stock than do that. Next have car aligned and have a subaru shop check the suspension. I'd also look into those replacement suspension bolts subaru had for 2013's. Next be sure someone checks the axle to be sure its retainer bolt is not messed up (dunno what its actually called). Also they will presumably check shocks/struts

frswildcat 07-31-2019 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru (Post 3243148)
If the rear shocks are completely blown it can cause the car to misbehave when cornering on bumps.

You NEED to have your alignment and suspension checked immediately. I mean if your car suddenly feels like it wants to spin out after being repaired from a collision. ugh? Usually I try to refrain from being rude but come on man.

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea. I rather run stock than do that. Next have car aligned and have a subaru shop check the suspension. I'd also look into those replacement suspension bolts subaru had for 2013's. Next be sure someone checks the axle to be sure its retainer bolt is not messed up (dunno what its actually called). Also they will presumably check shocks/struts

So luckily this is being done now. It handled ok after the collision repair it was funny for a day then normal. The real issues started when I got the flat fixed a few days ago but hopefully it just needed new tires and alignment which they confirmed was off quite a bit.

Tcoat 07-31-2019 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaru (Post 3243148)

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frswildcat (Post 3243260)
So luckily this is being done now. It handled ok after the collision repair it was funny for a day then normal. The real issues started when I got the flat fixed a few days ago but hopefully it just needed new tires and alignment which they confirmed was off quite a bit.

Wait a second. Did I misread when you said you got new tires? Did you put different tires on the front and rear? If so that can cause all sorts of weird stuff.