Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two reviews of the 2015 up - handling differences noted (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71320)

Sport-Tech 08-02-2014 05:01 AM

Two reviews of the 2015 up - handling differences noted

Both Autoguide and Autoweek have just posted reviews of the 2015 FR-S - some journos were invited out to the Streets of Willow for a run. They were allowed to drive the '14 and '15 back to back to clarify the changes made to the handling, which they report being quite noticeable. It looks like the '15 has been tuned to be closer to the BRZ setup, giving less mid-corner oversteer and more overall neutrality, with initial understeer being more evident.

FRSpappa 08-02-2014 06:53 AM

Glad I got a 2014, didn't want another under steering car like my old FWD CRX Si...

Superhatch 08-02-2014 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSpappa (Post 1878679)
Glad I got a 2014, didn't want another under steering car like my old FWD CRX Si...

Quote:

We are able to charge harder into the corners in the 2015 FR-S, and if we came in a little too hot, the car would simply understeer (try to go straight) and scrub off speed. A little corrective footwork and we'd be on our way again. The retuned FR-S drives more like a traditional sports car, and felt significantly faster around the track than the 2014 model like its BRZ near-twin, which never had the FR-S' tail-happy nature.

For overall track work, the 2015 becomes a far sharper scalpel.

The 2015 FR-S preserves its tail-happy character, but now it only breaks loose when you really want it to -- not when you're, say, in second gear and trying to concentrate while winding around the tricky, sweeping esses at the back of Streets of Willow, or after climbing the hill and braking hard for the tight, bumpy right-hander. Through these turns, the throttle is easier to modulate.
Sounds like nothing but good changes imo. Unless drifting around every corner in your subdivision was your thing.

s2d4 08-02-2014 07:18 AM

What was the actual change? couple of bolts?

Juvenile 08-02-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2d4 (Post 1878689)

Correct, bigger bolts

jvincent 08-02-2014 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2d4 (Post 1878689)

They also changed the spring rates in the front and there are different shocks/struts.

DarkSunrise 08-02-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoweek
The change is drastic.

This talk of "drastic" handling differences worries me. I'd be fine with slight changes, but anything more than that and I doubt I'd like it.

Personally I always felt the FR-S balance was spot on from the factory. The car was playful on the street with stock all-season Turanzas. And with stickier summer tires, the balance feels really good on the track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvenile (Post 1878694)
Correct, bigger bolts

Different damping as well, from what I understand.

wbradley 08-02-2014 08:31 AM

Firmer front springs, different brand of dampers, changed bolts in the front. Sounds like they made it less driftable.

Could be they are seeing consumers moving to the Subaru more or just that they are being conservative again as Toyota usually is. Might be a better calibration for people adding FI for stability and for a fastest lap time perspective.

I still enjoy the playfulness of my ‘13 at its current power level.

On initial release of the twins I think Toyota chose the slight oversteering bias to emphasize the novelty and uniqueness in the market of a non-understeering vehicle. Now the model was due for a mid cycle refresh and this is what was settled on by committee.

I predict the original FR-S will hold a place similar to the original Mata as far as longterm desirability.

BlueDubbinTDI 08-02-2014 08:48 AM

Everyone is just gunna drop it on coils anyway who gives a fuck

campy 08-02-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhatch (Post 1878687)
Sounds like nothing but good changes imo. Unless drifting around every corner in your subdivision was your thing.

It is.

And isn't that the point of this car? It's supposed to be a bit loose and crazy. It was designed to be fun, and the excessive tail-happiness is part of that. I'm sure the 2015 can get faster lap times than the 2013, but is it coming at the cost of making this a more civilized, less silly car? If there's one thing I've learned from racing, it's that the fastest lap times feel the slowest.

If I want the best lap times, I'd get a Porsche or a Miata. If I want a fun everyday car that's still very competent on the track or autocross, I'll pick the FRS.

jamomatt 08-02-2014 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI (Post 1878725)
Everyone is just gunna drop it on coils anyway who gives a fuck

Yup. Those who are just going to use it as a street car probably couldn't care less. Those that need it for more are gonna change to coilovers anyway.

PHLonomenal 08-02-2014 09:59 AM

Two reviews of the 2015 up - handling differences noted

I actually don't know what to make of these changes. Seems like they're trying to dial out what brought us all here. IDK, some ppl will love the new and others will covet the old. Time will only tell how these model years will be regarded by enthusiasts.

ZionsWrath 08-02-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHLonomenal (Post 1878757)
I actually don't know what to make of these changes. Seems like they're trying to dial out what brought us all here. IDK, some ppl will love the new and others will covet the old. Time will only tell how these model years will be regarded by enthusiasts.

What brought me here was a functional trackable street car. OEM decent handling. Relative light weight. RWD. Functional interior (fold flat seats) for going to track.

In fact I think I searched something like "4cyl rwd coupe fold flat seats" before this car was released and brought me to the concept.

Being sideways on every roundabout was not on my priority list.

Dezoris 08-02-2014 10:03 AM

95% of the owners of this car wont be able to tell the difference as the changes are mostly noticable at the limit.