Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Best Coilovers for around 1k? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127729)

GoZ21 05-17-2018 09:05 PM

Best Coilovers for around 1k?

Yes im sure the topic has been discussed in other threads before HOWEVER the threads i found were not specific enough and suspension is definitely not my strongest area. SO Id like to be running the best coilover possible mostly for the drop in ride height and durability, the car is strictly driven on the street. I was looking into PBM and The BC BR series. Looking for price range around 1k. Thanks for any help you can give and if your aware of a thread that may have all the info I need please link me to it because i couldnt find much

Tokay444 05-17-2018 09:31 PM

Kind of an oxymoron. There’s nothing good about any 1k coilovers.

fatoni 05-17-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3088426)

not an oxymoron at all. just kind of a bad idea but to each their own

smg1138 05-17-2018 09:40 PM

There are no good coilovers in that price range. You'd be better off with some Koni Yellow shocks and decent performance springs.

juliog 05-17-2018 09:44 PM

Tein Flex Z

new2subaru 05-17-2018 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliog (Post 3088436)

Used ones here

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127725

GoZ21 05-17-2018 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoni (Post 3088433)
not an oxymoron at all. just kind of a bad idea but to each their own

These coilovers are not good in respect to what aspects? Im fully aware that the “better” coilovers come with more adjustability/options/features etc. but this is going on a daily driver application and i dont really need the performance benefits as much as someone tracking their car. I just need something basic with some form of dampening adjustability

dutchman1 05-18-2018 12:17 AM

Why do you need dampening adjustability?

The problem is the internals of a shock have enough machined moving parts that making a decent one is expensive. When you add adjustability to the mix, things get significantly more complex and getting the shock to maintain a similar dampening ratio throughout it's range of adjustment is difficult. Let alone having some kind of consistency/repeatability of adjustment.

As others have said, I think what you're after is Koni yellows with lowering springs (TRD, RCE, etc). Unless you want to go significantly lower than 1" from stock, in which case if you want to retain decent handling you have to either spend more money or take a bit of a gamble.

NoHaveMSG 05-18-2018 04:10 AM

I've been running flex Z's, very happy with them. The flex A's are around 1300. There is also the ST which is basically a KW with a different body. They have fairly soft spring rates though, so if you are lowering a bunch you may bottom them a lot.

monkeybike 05-18-2018 07:14 AM

If budget is an issue, maybe some pull off PP dampers with RCE/TRD/STI springs.

Budget coilovers sacrifice comfort IMHO. It’s easy to find a rock hard set that will slam it but they will ride like crap.

Tokay444 05-18-2018 09:30 AM

I'd pay more money for less adjustability if it meant a better damper. The BCs have show that the adjustments do little to nothing save for the extreme ends of their range.

CBR600RR 05-18-2018 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokay444 (Post 3088426)

^This is false!

ST make a quality coilover for lowering and a mild increase in performance. Best for daily driving / spirited driving and maybe the odd track day. They are well sprung and damped for their intended purpose. I had a set for 5 years, driven through Canadian winters. They held up great over that time, and performed exactly how I wanted them to. Never gave me any trouble.

Sure you can't buy a quality track oriented coilover for around 1000, but there are different uses for coilovers, aka daily driving.

churchx 05-18-2018 10:59 AM

Problem with budget coilovers is that manufacturers make something that sells. And many buyers are misinformed what would fit their needs more or what would improve performance. So problem lies within us :)
Given chosen compromises within budget according to what sells there is little left for quality and performance.
If majority of customers didn't just sort shop inventory by price low to high and didn't choose ones with most knobs and in blingy paint from among first cheapest positions, most of cheapest coilovers wouldn't be that bad. Otherwise it's how it is. There are some reasonably good offerings too, eg. good struts, tein flex z/a, STs, but they are outnumbered by mirriads of crap products, so good ones are more like exception to rule. The higher budget is, the more good products with less compromises at areas that really matter can be found. Both due budget, and also because mid and high budget suspension offerings are often bought by better educated customers. So it also goes along the lines of they make what we buy and one gets what one pays for.

JustSomeGuy 05-18-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 3088652)
Problem with budget coilovers is that manufacturers make something that sells. And many buyers are misinformed what would fit their needs more or what would improve performance. So problem lies within us :)
Given chosen compromises within budget according to what sells there is little left for quality and performance.
If majority of customers didn't just sort shop inventory by price low to high and didn't choose ones with most knobs and in blingy paint from among first cheapest positions, most of cheapest coilovers wouldn't be that bad. Otherwise it's how it is. There are some reasonably good offerings too, eg. good struts, tein flex z/a, STs, but they are outnumbered by mirriads of crap products, so good ones are more like exception to rule. The higher budget is, the more good products with less compromises at areas that really matter can be found. Both due budget, and also because mid and high budget suspension offerings are often bought by better educated customers. So it also goes along the lines of they make what we buy and one gets what one pays for.

well said! with that all being said tein flex z are a perfect entry coil, especially for daily. its not like they are a random brand either so they know what they are doing