Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Fluctuating volume (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14327)

so26 08-10-2012 08:40 PM

Fluctuating volume

Hello All,

I have the standard stereo head unit and I've notice that the volume will sometimes fluctuate. Has anyone else been having this problem? And more importantly does anyone know how to fix it?

I initially thought it might have something to do with the ASL system but I have it turned off.

Maybe the problem is a loss connection in the back of the HU but I doubt it and it's a lot of work to get back there to find out.

Thanks for your help.

anteater86 08-10-2012 08:43 PM

There's a setting to turn this off (the name escapes me), but the volume is dependent on the speed your car is going to compensate for road noise, engine noise, etc.

so26 08-10-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anteater86 (Post 372425)
There's a setting to turn this off (the name escapes me), but the volume is dependent on the speed your car is going to compensate for road noise, engine noise, etc.

That's the Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) setting that I was referring to and I have it set to off. :iono:

|-Goku-| 08-11-2012 05:34 AM

Do you have the setting set to FR-S or is it still set to tC?

Also, are you using USB/Bluetooth/Audio cable?

Could it be your music?

so26 08-11-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |-Goku-| (Post 373028)
Do you have the setting set to FR-S or is it still set to tC?

Also, are you using USB/Bluetooth/Audio cable?

Could it be your music?

Yup switched the setting to FR-S.

I definitly have noticed the volume issue with the radio. I'm not sure about the other inputs. Maybe it has something to do with the HD radio? I'll have to look into this.

Thanks for the help so far.

Subie 08-11-2012 12:41 PM

The volume will change as the HD radio signal comes in and out, or at least that was the case with an older Scion of mine. Try disabling HD radio so it's just using the analog FM signal to see if the volume still fluctuates.

Sigh-on-Rice 08-12-2012 08:28 PM

Are you playing bluetooth, USB, or cd?
I noticed, when I'm on bluetooth and receive a text message, the volume gets lower for a second.

Chewie4299 08-13-2012 03:03 AM

I notice this but it seems to me that the unit remembers the volume for each source. I'll switch from radio to iPod to by audio and volume will be different. I think this is kind of stupid but its not huge

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

so26 08-15-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie (Post 373299)
The volume will change as the HD radio signal comes in and out, or at least that was the case with an older Scion of mine. Try disabling HD radio so it's just using the analog FM signal to see if the volume still fluctuates.

This was it. I disabled the HD radio and haven't noticed the issue since.

OldSkool86 08-16-2012 12:26 AM

Good to know guys.