Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Thoughts on the Camaro V6 1LE? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126126)

hpde_addict 03-16-2018 03:59 AM

Thoughts on the Camaro V6 1LE?

Have you had the chance to drive one and compare to your 86, especially on the track? It's 700 pounds more, but the lap times are pretty respectable and it's built and warrantied for track use. They are comparable in price if you're willing to travel to another state to purchase. Mainly curious about the difference in "feel" between the two. I really love the playful dance that my car does exiting turns, but the gas pedal doesn't do much on the long straights especially going uphill.

Mr.ac 03-16-2018 04:30 AM

Well, from my experience it was a second contender when I was buying a new car.
At the time I test drove/ rented a 2012 V6 Camero to Las Vegas
First impression was the huge A pillars. Front vision is a task. But you get used to it. The instrument gauges are lame, so is the radio, but new 2016's are better. So I seen.
As for the weight, it's a tad heavy but it has the power to back it up. All "300" hp of it.

It handles better than you think, it can be just as fun as the 86.
The only thing why I didn't buy the camero was these reasons:
1.Next years models are way better. At the time compared (2012) to the 2014, the '12,s are fucking butt ugly.
2.Mpg, I was driving 60mille round trip so I needed to save a few cents somewhere.
3.I got a killer deal on my BRZ. If I didn't I'll be in something else.

WolfpackS2k 03-16-2018 09:46 AM

FYI, the V6 Camaro has 335 hp. 35 hp isn't a huge deal for a Camaro, but if we were talking about a BRZ it would be:lol:

funwheeldrive 03-16-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpde_addict (Post 3059055)
Have you had the chance to drive one and compare to your 86, especially on the track? It's 700 pounds more, but the lap times are pretty respectable and it's built and warrantied for track use. They are comparable in price if you're willing to travel to another state to purchase. Mainly curious about the difference in "feel" between the two. I really love the playful dance that my car does exiting turns, but the gas pedal doesn't do much on the long straights especially going uphill.

Have you sat in one yet? Very tight for such a large car. Hope you don't have claustrophobia.

hpde_addict 03-16-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3059097)
Have you sat in one yet? Very tight for such a large car. Hope you don't have claustrophobia.

Not yet, I will this weekend. Unfortunately there aren't any V6 1LE's nearby.

Tcoat 03-16-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3059097)

I could get over the whole cockpit except that high door. Felt like a little kid in a bathtub.

funwheeldrive 03-16-2018 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3059200)
I could get over the whole cockpit except that high door. Felt like a little kid in a bathtub.

The high door/dash and limited visibility make it feel like you are driving in an amored vehicle. It probably doesn't take long to adjust though.

Dadhawk 03-16-2018 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3059200)

Since I'm relatively short (and getting shorter apparently) I would just turn my cap backwards and drive low-rider style....problem solved.

I haven't sat in the current Gen, but I did test drive (several times) the last Gen (2012-2013) when looking at cars. I honestly didn't find it any worse than many other cars. I could see the road all around me fine, and since I'm not often chased by helicopters, didn't need to see "up".

MomHawk was a different story though. She couldn't see over the dash on the passenger side without jacking the seat way up.

Spuds 03-16-2018 03:22 PM

I rented an SS convertible (MY2014 or 2015 I think...) in SoCal once (got lucky at the rental facility and got a free upgrade :happyanim:). Didn't have any upgraded suspension goodies. Coming from the FRS, you could definitely feel the weight. It held the road great, but everything was slower to react, and felt damped. I didn't feel as much in control of the car as my FRS if that makes sense. Maybe the 1le suspension resolves this.

Also, it was difficult to see out of even with the top down. Yes, I said that correctly.

Summerwolf 03-16-2018 05:29 PM

I wouldn't consider a v6 camaro, but the sixth gen is a nice place to sit, very roomy and driver centric IMO. The SS is a great car, and definitely don't act like they carry as much weight as they do. A 1le would only handle better.

I had no problems with visibility when driving a fifth or sixth gen camaro.

exE36M3 03-16-2018 05:35 PM

FWIW - before anyone starts to stack rank cars... consider at least a day or two doing a high-performance driving school. The skills you pick up from those types of classes not only carry forward to just about any car you own in the future, but also give you some ability to test a car's ability.

I mean it's one thing to own say a 911 Porsche R... but if you drive it like your first Corolla in high school, well what's the point of spending all that money to only enjoy a small dimension of that car?

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to drive a 911 to 99% of it's capability?

The thing I *love* about taking other BRZ owners out in my BRZ is when they say "I didn't know my car could handle like that!"

My 2-cents.

DarkSunrise 03-16-2018 11:43 PM

The lap times the 1LE models put down (SS and V6) are hugely impressive for the price.

I've thought about making the switch, but the outward visibility on the 6th gen is awful. Sat in one at the auto show and it is truly like sitting in a bathtub.

The other thing is I don't like how good of a driver "competition mode" makes you. A lot of the phenomenal lap times are a result of the impressive software those cars have. Call me old-school, but I want an analog experience. I wish reviewers would test (and do lap times) in those cars with the stability control fully turned off. Could potentially still be great, but just not sure.

Lastly the cost of track day consumables is going to be huge. I already hate paying for tires and pads on the FR-S, even with a BBK. I can only imagine how much worse they'd be in Camaro sizes. I think Chevy also requires you to change fluids every track day (risking your warranty otherwise) so that's another cost to consider.

Even with all those potential negatives, I still think about picking up a 1LE, but for me it'd have to be the SS/V8.

hpde_addict 03-17-2018 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 3059524)
I still think about picking up a 1LE, but for me it'd have to be the SS/V8.

I already gave up on the V6 1LE. I can't find any in stock new or used within hundreds of miles that are priced reasonably. It's hard to even find V6 manual cars so that I can get a feel for the acceleration difference. The tire selection for the stock wheel size also sucks. You're either stuck with Eagle F1 all seasons or have to purchase another set of wheels. Those all seasons probably melt on the track.

I ruled out the SS because it has tiny brakes and it's just way too fast for me. All I want is a performance driving oriented car with a bit more acceleration capability.

Mr.ac 03-17-2018 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpde_addict (Post 3059554)
I already gave up on the V6 1LE. I can't find any in stock new or used within hundreds of miles that are priced reasonably. It's hard to even find V6 manual cars so that I can get a feel for the acceleration difference. The tire selection for the stock wheel size also sucks. You're either stuck with Eagle F1 all seasons or have to purchase another set of wheels. Those all seasons probably melt on the track.

I ruled out the SS because it has tiny brakes and it's just way too fast for me. All I want is a performance driving oriented car with a bit more acceleration capability.

What? You maybe need to travel more than 100 miles cause I see about 30 or so on autotrader all the time. Most are under 60k, manual, for under $17k.

If I was solely getting for track use, a different set of wheels would be first on the order. So that point is mute, same as tire choices.

Also way more choices beside the lame-o tire rack.com options.