Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   OEM Audio Plus Reviews (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92147)

oemaudioplus 11-18-2015 01:40 PM

New Reviews Added - Thank you Owners for your Feedback!!!

dhuang 12-11-2015 02:06 PM

Incredibly Impressed

The stock audio system in the 86 is probably one of the greatest weaknesses about the vehicle.

When I was researching a way to improve the sound, OEMAudio+ kept coming up in the forums as highly recommended. Install took about half a day, not due to difficulty, but rather my OCD tendencies -- the instructions and videos make it a trouble-free install with little room for second guessing yourself.

You're probably well aware of how well this system sounds, so I won't get repetitive about the performance. What impressed me the most was how dedicated and passionate the OEMAudio+ team is about their product. I probably called them five times before and after the install and they were incredibly thorough in explaining what system would be best for me, and now the potential upgrade paths for my System 400+! ;)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...MAudioPlus.JPG

TofuJoe 12-14-2015 01:31 PM

Great company - great sound!

I installed the OEM Audio System 400+ in my FR-S 10 series last month.

Customer Service
I missed the summer sale by a few days. I emailed OEM Audio + to find out when the next sale would be and they said Black Friday. When the sale rolled around, they emailed me to let me know. $200 discount - excellent!

When the package arrived, the invoice said "Base Stereo" but I ordered the "Scion Display Radio". I emailed OEM Audio + to make sure I got the right tuning. Not long after sending the email, Daniel left me a voice message. This was after business hours on a Friday evening. I returned his call and gave him the serial number on the back of the unit. Everything was cool. I was impressed that Daniel went out of his way to make sure everything was right on a Friday night.

Install
I've never done a car audio install before. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but don't usual do anything more than simple work on my own car. The install took a full afternoon, but went well. Big thanks to the nicest guy ever who let me do the install in his garage.

A few install notes:

I used a small metal grommet removal tool instead of plastic. This was much easier than the plastic one that I tried. Tip: Placing one hand above the grommet so it doesn't go flying when you remove it is really helpful.
The tool is $5 on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1m1L97m

Having a second person to help route the wires through the firewall is helpful. One person can shine a flashlight through the engine bay, and the other person can push the wires through.

My wires had 14g and 12g labels on them. Trimming off at least one of the labels made it easier to pass the wires through the firewall and the loom in the engine bay.

The video and the printed instructions said different things for the amp connection colors. I use the printed instructions because I guessed that those would be more current. That was the correct choice. Gray on top, white below it, black on the bottom.

If I had to do it again, I would be more careful about covering not only the center stack, but protecting the area directly under the stereo receiver (knee pad trim). Again, having a second pair of hands to help hold the stereo while the cables are removed/installed might be helpful for you. I used the couple of scratches as an excuse to get JPM Coachworks kneepads and black JDM trim for my next upgrade. :)

Sound
I listen to everything from jazz to post-rock. The first test track I usually listen to on new speakers or headphones is "The Suspension Bridge at Iguazu Falls" by Tortoise. If I'm listening to Ornette Coleman, I want to hear the gut strings on Charlie Haden's bass.

So a few weeks of throwing all kinds of music at the stereo, I'm really happy. The sound is definitely more rich and clear. The bass is non-directional and not overdone. Highs are crisp but not shrill. The sound is balanced and full.

I have a Perrin 2.5" resonated exhaust. With the stock stereo, the music filled the mids and highs, and the catback provided the bass. As a music lover, this was extremely annoying. Especially on the highway. The System 400+ solved this problem. The music fills the whole tonal range nicely. My ears hear the exhaust as a separate thing.

I also think having the subwoofer in the corner of the trunk has made the exhaust just slightly more quiet. This makes sense because it's filling the area right above the pipes that were probably resonating in the trunk space.
It's also really apparent now that I need to soundproof the doors and 1/4 panels. I'm sure that will help cut road noise on the freeway and improve the door speaker sound.

My home stereo is a Denon receiver and B+W bookshelf speakers with a sub. This system has a very articulate, warm mid-range. The System 400+ doesn't have the same level of mid-range detail, but it's still pretty good. However, the System 400+ has a more full sounding mid-bass that's making me rethink the sub crossover settings on my home stereo.

Helpful tip: I made sure to add the stereo upgrade to my car insurance. The extra $1000 coverage didn't affect my premium.

I hope these tips and thoughts are helpful for some of you who are considering this upgrade. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it again. Enjoy your music!

LANI86 12-17-2015 02:34 AM

Does the satin black finish come with the OEM Audio logo on the sub or is it just a decal?? If it's a decal, I wonder if it costs anymore to get the logo painted on the sub. Anyone know? I know painting the sub to match your body color actually costs more. Kinda curious as I'm considering the 400+ kit for my FRS but want the logo painted to make it more prominent.

oemaudioplus 12-17-2015 09:08 AM

@LANI86 great question! The OEM Audio Plus logo is painted. Let us know if any additional questions or requests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LANI86 12-17-2015 11:44 AM

Cool! Thank you OEMAUDIO!

oemaudioplus 12-29-2015 05:05 PM

New review found! Thank you @DrDuquette for sharing your experience. #honored

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDuquette (Post 2493476)
Quick note on my install. Everything went very well. Easy to install. Exactly what I was looking for. Sound is amazing!!! For the price and install simplicity, this is the way to go. I love listening to my music more than ever. Bass is perfect. Top end is super clear.
One of my best upgrades to date.
:bow: OEM Audio

LANI86 12-31-2015 12:22 AM

Just had my 400+ system installed on my FR-S. Thanks to the guys over at Autotuned! They always do an amazing job and the installation was done rather quickly and very smoothly. I'm loving everything about this system thus far! The stock system is not bad, but definitely can use more "spice." The OEM Audio system without doubt completes the receipe.

ksmtmd 01-19-2016 09:45 AM

OEM Audio Plus Reference 400CF

Had mine installed about a year ago. Fantastic sound! I love it. Daniel was great to talk to on the phone and extremely helpful. I had my sub wrapped in carbon fiber to match my trunk. Fantastic stuff!

SPCorBUST 01-20-2016 05:21 AM

@oemaudioplus I have a 2013 with a swapped Starlink head unit from a 2015 - would the directions change at all in my scenario?

oemaudioplus 01-20-2016 05:35 AM

Hey @SPCorBUST, thanks for reaching out. Same installation process. However different EQ: There is a slight difference in the output characteristics of the 2013 and 2015 Starlink - Not a problem. When specifying your "radio" during the ordering process we tune your kit accordingly so you experience out signature sound reproduction the moment you plug your O+ in!!

FreshFRS 01-29-2016 02:00 AM

i have a 2016 not sure if there are any differences between it and a 2015 ut i thought i should ask.

Envirotech 02-01-2016 08:03 AM

Have a 2014 BRZ, and the first thing I needed to do was upgrade the audio. I drive a lot, and need a great audio system to pass the time. Just OK, does not cut it. The stock audio is horrible. I usually install my own systems, and had some Rockford Fosgate component Power speakers and 400w amp, kicker 10" sub and mono amp from a car I got rid. I installed them, which was a bit of a pain due to modifications needed for speaker mounting, sub box location, etc. It sounded better than stock, but I could not get it to sound like I wanted (as I had in all my other vehicles), I went through a few different configs and tried a few different speakers. After much deliberation, and I mean a lot, and reading many reviews, I purchased the OEM Audio Plus system. Install was exactly like the instruction, no missing steps etc.
I am happy to say this is a fantastic system. Perfectly tuned for this vehicle, it does exactly what they say it does. Although I was hesitant to spend the money initially, I am glad I did. I would recommend this to anyone looking for quality sound.

What would add to the system even more would be a fine tuning adjustments for crossovers, as everyones ear is a little bit different.

dj2020 02-02-2016 12:00 AM

Any of you guys upgraded your Reference System with the new 4" front midrange, rear SL 4" speakers, and amp retune? I'm very happy with my current Reference set up with the front tweeters, 6.5" woofers and sub but was wondering if the addition of the midrange and rear speakers would make a noticeable difference.