Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   power steering feel adjustment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4639)

brillo 04-01-2012 09:34 AM

power steering feel adjustment

Any chance the electric power steering feel / weight can be adjusted through the ECU? I'd love to make it a tad heavier if it's to light

Calum 04-01-2012 10:02 AM

I thought about removing it, until I found out the rack is a 13:1 ratio.

Kiwi 04-01-2012 11:54 AM

Increasing the steering weight can be easily done if they wish to because it is all in the ECU programming. It would be nice for the steering to be more heavy when in VSC sport mode.

Improving the steering feel through programming though would be quite hard. Good steering feel comes from the geometry of the whole suspension and steering system. I haven't driven the 86 yet, but I do hope it has a good steering feel/feedback.

old greg 04-01-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brillo (Post 171490)
Any chance the electric power steering feel / weight can be adjusted through the ECU? I'd love to make it a tad heavier if it's to light

EPAS tends to have it's own separate control unit, and it's not at all likely that it will be accessible to tuners/end-users because of liability concerns. It should be possible to effect the steering weight by altering the signal from the steering torque sensor or, if the EPAS control unit and the motor controller a separate, by altering the signal and/or power supply to the motor. Depending on how the EPAS is programmed though, any of those may cause some unforseen issues in potentially very unfortunate situations.

Turbowned 04-01-2012 02:36 PM

I've heard was that it had a nice sporty weight to it from many reviews, and NOB Taniguchi said it had a fairly tall steering ratio, but if you're used to driving race cars all the time, that might be why.

serialk11r 04-01-2012 03:28 PM

You could probably set up a switch to disconnect the power steering. PWM on the motor itself could work too, though I imagine the controller could get angry.

Esoteric 04-02-2012 12:03 PM

The cool thing is, if there is enough demand, smart people exist to engineer a solution.

I like heavy steering: we think of the 80s often as this dismal time for cars, but E30s, manual-rack AE86s, and others have that nice weight to the wheel I miss in most affordable new cars.

Levi 04-03-2012 05:25 AM

As a track car, I'll delete all the power steering system and have it natural as in my old car.

Kiwi 04-03-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 173076)
As a track car, I'll delete all the power steering system and have it natural as in my old car.

Why bother when there is no parasitic power loss and extra parts like on hydraulic systems? You won't gain any power back and also I don't believe you can remove the motor from the steering assembly to save weight.

brillo 04-03-2012 09:38 AM

I like the heavier feel of the 350/370z steering and from what I have been reading the reviewers mention the steering is kinda on the light site. Its not a deal killer so long as it is direct and accurate (my RX8 is a good example of electric power steering done right).

I thought I read somewhere someone was looking into a way to modify the steering weight but I couldn't find it again so thats why I asked.

SkullWorks 04-03-2012 11:08 AM

the whole world is looking for cheap EPAS systems for their track cars and there's people that don't even have their 86's yet that want to take it out..SMH

Navi 04-03-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 173110)
Why bother when there is no parasitic power loss and extra parts like on hydraulic systems? You won't gain any power back and also I don't believe you can remove the motor from the steering assembly to save weight.

So you think just because it's electric it doesn't cost any power?

Who do you think charges the battery? And who drives the alternator ;)

Yup, Mr 2.0 Boxer Engine.

Some smarter systems like the VW Bluemotion only drive the alternator when slowing down, so actually reusing that power to charge, and disable the alternator when accelerating, but i dont think Toyota/Subaru have implemented such a feature in this engine?

Kiwi 04-03-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navi (Post 173192)
So you think just because it's electric it doesn't cost any power?

Who do you think charges the battery? And who drives the alternator ;)

Yup, Mr 2.0 Boxer Engine.

Some smarter systems like the VW Bluemotion only drive the alternator when slowing down, so actually reusing that power to charge, and disable the alternator when accelerating, but i dont think Toyota/Subaru have implemented such a feature in this engine?

Yes, you are correct and that can also be said of anything that requires electricity on the vehicle.

old greg 04-03-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 173215)
Yes, you are correct and that can also be said of anything that requires electricity on the vehicle.

I for one will be removing the ignition coils for maximum performance.