Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   People having a hard time with the FR-S blind spot (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8847)

driver01 06-15-2012 07:39 PM

People having a hard time with the FR-S blind spot

I was talking to a coworker and the subject of adjusting your outer mirror (aka side view mirrors) came up. he explained to me how to adjust your mirrors in such a way that you have great awareness of the traffic around you. Before this, I would adjust my outer mirrors in such a way that I can see my car in the mirrors. after trying this "new" setup I feel more comfortable driving. A couple months later I found an article about it, so... here it is.

(it might be disorienting at the begining but great once you get used to. also, I would still recommend to do a shoulder check when changing lanes, specially if you are on the right lane and there are two lanes to your left as the car on the far left might be doing a lane change at the same time as you. or vice versa)

http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-original.jpg

For the past few years, various carmakers have been offering blind-spot detection systems for their cars’ side mirrors. Often complex, these systems employ cameras or radar to scan the adjoining lanes for vehicles that may have disappeared from view.

The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) published a paper in 1995 suggesting how outside mirrors could be adjusted to eliminate blind spots. The paper advocates adjusting the mirrors so far outward that the viewing angle of the side mirrors just overlaps that of the cabin’s rearview mirror. This can be disorienting for drivers used to seeing the flanks of their own car in the side mirrors. But when correctly positioned, the mirrors negate a car’s blind spots. This obviates the need to glance over your shoulder to safely change lanes as well as the need for an expensive blind-spot warning system.

The only problem is getting used to the SAE-recommended mirror positions. The cabin’s rearview mirror is used to keep an eye on what is coming up from behind, while the outside mirrors reflect the area outside the view of the inside rearview mirror.

Those who have switched to the SAE’s approach swear by it, however, some drivers can’t adjust to not using the outside mirrors to see directly behind the car and miss being able to see their own car in the side mirrors. To them we say, “Have fun filling out those accident reports.”

driver01 06-15-2012 07:41 PM

Another tip, that i figure out about this. if you set up your right side mirror lower than usual, you can still see the car in your blindspot as well as the curb beneath you when you are trying to parallel park. No more curb rash.
you just have to move your head slightly to the right when parallel parking to get the right angle to see the curb

Draco-REX 06-15-2012 07:59 PM

What the article fails to consider is that by seeing the flanks of your own car in the side mirrors you can better judge distance; something that's very difficult in the right hand mirror.

I also take exception with the statement that by adjusting your mirrors like this you no longer have to turn your head to check your blindspots. Always double-check your blind spots.

Now I'm not saying people shouldn't adjust their mirrors like this. It makes good sense. But some people have depth perception issues and may NEED the flanks in the mirror. And what you see in the mirror should never replace common sense and what you can see with your own eyes.

Dadhawk 06-15-2012 08:23 PM

That's exactly how I have my mirrors set up, and I have no blind spot. I can drive the car safely with reference to mirrors only.

Besides, the FR-S is a glass ****pit compared to my wife's Mustang convertible, or flying a Cessna 172!

FRiSson 06-15-2012 08:52 PM

Difficult to get used to

I have adjusted my mirrors to eliminate the blind spot, but it is hard to get used to. I still swing my head back and forth when I merge to get a view from both the old and new position.

BlaineWasHere 06-15-2012 09:00 PM

I've been setting up my mirrors like this since they showed my how in drivers training when I was 15... WAAAY better!

mpicher 06-15-2012 09:04 PM

My wife's 2012 CR-V actually has a split drivers side mirror. It's a little funny to get used to but it's effective.

BlaineWasHere 06-15-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpicher (Post 260704)
My wife's 2012 CR-V actually has a split drivers side mirror. It's a little funny to get used to but it's effective.

When I worked for a beer distributor all of our full size vans had this on both sides and I LOVED it!

neutral 06-15-2012 09:52 PM

For me the issue isn't the lane next to me, but the lane two over. I'm always super paranoid about merging into someone trying to merge into the same lane at the same time. I've had the mirrors set up just like that picture for years now, and haven't had a problem with the lane immediately adjacent since. But I can't do a quick look-back anymore to check my 5 and 7 o'clock positions 2 lanes over. There's just car in the way :(

Superhatch 06-15-2012 09:55 PM

I've been setting up my cars and everyone I know like this since I first learned about it. I can't drive a car any other way!

smbrm 06-15-2012 10:36 PM

Agree with method of setting mirrors. It really does open the view to the rear so that as a vehicle exits one mirror it enters another or your peripheral vision.

As for knowing where the back end or your car is, it is always in the same place relative to the driver. You may need to resort to some other techniques to know where that is relative to the driving position, but once you know where it is, it is always in the same place!

Whereas the cars around you can always be changing position.

Drove a Ford Focus rental car recently with built in mini convex blindspot mirrors to assist the side view. They were in the outside upper corner of the mirror. What I thought interesting however was that when you adjusted the side view mirror as above, the mini mirror then gave you an even wider view. I had not seen that in a production mirror before. I also expect it would take some getting used too, if you have not had them before.

I am sure we have all seen aftermarket stickon's as well.

MVJ1975 06-15-2012 10:46 PM

I've done this for years. My old MX-3 had massive blind spots due to the way the rear curved, and positioning my mirrors this way was incredibly helpful. I adjusted the FR-S's mirrors to a similar position before I even took it off of the lot.

Vracer111 06-15-2012 11:17 PM

The above mentioned is about how I've set up my mirrors for a long time since learning about it years ago.

For adjusting the drivers side mirror place your head against the drivers side door glass and adjust mirror so you just see your vehicle in the mirror. For adjusting the passenger side mirror put your head in between the drivers and passenger seat (rear view mirror should be directly in front of you) and adjust until you just see your vehicle in the mirror. Then adjust the rearview mirror while in driving postion, centered to slightly more of the drivers side in view. I always physically check to both sides even with this adjustment because the adjustment does nothing for that driver beside you who is changing to the lane next to you while you want to go into the same lane.

michaelahess 06-16-2012 12:43 AM

I've been doing this since I was 16. Can't believe its not common knowledge. There are a few downsides but this method is far better than seeing your own car. Especially in busy city traffic. Not that I wouldn't like to see my own car more...if I had one! :)