Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   First start after 4 and a half months (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133246)

Jcas 03-03-2019 06:09 PM

First start after 4 and a half months

First off, I want to apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section it seemed like it would be the most suiting. So, yesterday I had replaced my headers, overpipe and front pipe all with aftermarket parts and I already had a catback on it, so now I have a full exhaust system :thumbup:. Now to my part where maybe i'm just bugging out because the car makes different noises changing so much with all the new exhaust components. I tuned it stage 2+ on the OFT and started it up, mind you its been sitting in my garage for 4 and half months because its winter here in the Northeast. So it started right up no problems at all idle was a little low at times trying to adjust to the tune at times but never stalled. So what had me worried is while it was warming up I popped the hood to make sure everything was kosher and all the sudden I started hearing a little ticking noise not to the beat or idle of the engine though. It was coming from the driver side engine on top somewhere it sounds like. I was thinking maybe just a lifter tick? Fuel pump? Injectors? Not really sure but yeah haven't started the car in a while nonetheless so that could also play a factor possibly just not used to the sounds yet maybe lol. If anyone has any ideas on what it could possibly be feel free to share! Thank you in advance.

gravitylover 03-03-2019 08:19 PM

Is the gas in the tank the same 4 1/2 months old? Fuel pump not happy or maybe injectors...

DarkPira7e 03-03-2019 08:52 PM

May have been lubricating things still. When it sits for that long, everything goes bone dry. Let it run for a half hour and tell us if it's still there. Could also be a belt or pulley, but terribly unlikely.

Jcas 03-04-2019 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravitylover (Post 3191817)
Is the gas in the tank the same 4 1/2 months old? Fuel pump not happy or maybe injectors...

yes it is the same gas, but I also out stabil in it so the gas didn't go stale/bad. And yeah thats what I was thinking possibly.

Jcas 03-04-2019 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3191830)
May have been lubricating things still. When it sits for that long, everything goes bone dry. Let it run for a half hour and tell us if it's still there. Could also be a belt or pulley, but terribly unlikely.

Yeah thats true, I didn't even drive it yet either so im sure im just paranoid and itll go away once it runs more and actually drives and gets everything all lubricated and what not.

Tcoat 03-04-2019 10:53 AM

New exhaust heating up, expanding and making a ticking sound. All exhausts do it but new ones can be really loud as everything finds it's place. It may have sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine since the noise bounced around a bit. The fact that it was not tied to the engine speed rules out most of the engine components.
Could also just be the style of header you installed. Some of them make some weird sounds.

humfrz 03-04-2019 02:29 PM

Yep, like said, I'd suggest you go fill up with fresh gas and then take a long drive (an hour or so). Maybe the car just needs to "shake it out" after its hibernation and the new exhaust parts need a chance to settle in.

humfrz

Trueweltall 03-04-2019 07:25 PM

Gas isn't going to go bad in 4 months, I have had motorcycles sit for a year with a full tank and start up like normal after taking them off my trickle charger.

wbradley 03-04-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trueweltall (Post 3192169)
Gas isn't going to go bad in 4 months, I have had motorcycles sit for a year with a full tank and start up like normal after taking them off my trickle charger.

Then why is it recommended to use stabilizer for winter storage? There must be SOME degradation but stabilizer is also a lubricant which helps upon bone dry startup no doubt. It also quiets the crickets.

Trueweltall 03-04-2019 08:27 PM

It's recommended so you spend your money on their product, it's marketing 101. Just top off your fuel tank before you store your car, if it's under a year you'll probably be a-okay. If it's outside in direct sunlight being exposed to a greater range of temperature fluctuations you will have more hydrocarbons evaporate and possibly more condensation getting in (e85 and blends).

Ultramaroon 03-04-2019 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcas (Post 3191777)
all the sudden I started hearing a little ticking noise not to the beat or idle of the engine though. It was coming from the driver side engine on top somewhere it sounds like. I was thinking maybe just a lifter tick? Fuel pump? Injectors?

When the engine is up to temp and left to idle, the fueling system switches from port injection to direct injection. It can be disturbing for the unsuspecting owner because it truly makes a racket. Viewing the engine from the front, the DI pump is just behind the oil fill cap.

Here's someone else's video clip capturing the moment where it switches over.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBB3GREGPSc[/ame]

Jcas 03-05-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3192210)
When the engine is up to temp and left to idle, the fueling system switches from port injection to direct injection. It can be disturbing for the unsuspecting owner because it truly makes a racket. Viewing the engine from the front, the DI pump is just behind the oil fill cap.

Here's someone else's video clip capturing the moment where it switches over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBB3GREGPSc

THATS EXACTLY THE SOUND!

Jcas 03-05-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3192038)
Yep, like said, I'd suggest you go fill up with fresh gas and then take a long drive (an hour or so). Maybe the car just needs to "shake it out" after its hibernation and the new exhaust parts need a chance to settle in.

humfrz

fair enough thanks!

Jcas 03-05-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3191946)
New exhaust heating up, expanding and making a ticking sound. All exhausts do it but new ones can be really loud as everything finds it's place. It may have sounded like it was coming from the top of the engine since the noise bounced around a bit. The fact that it was not tied to the engine speed rules out most of the engine components.
Could also just be the style of header you installed. Some of them make some weird sounds.

This is true since im new to the full exhaust life:happyanim: