Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Considering an AT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121216)

leevanf 08-13-2017 12:50 AM

Considering an AT

Hi guys, still no luck on a MT unit here that I like as a good 9/10 pre owned for sale here come out as AT units. The few manuals are modded/turboed. So, I did some reading on the AT and it seems like theres a lot of praise. Just wanted to hear what you guys think if i will/will not regret AT.
I grew up driving 8 miles a day of city traffic on a toyota land cruiser 80 manual diesel so I have an iron clutch foot immune to stop and And go traffic. Today, that car is 4x4 lifted toy and my new daily is a company issued AT Yaris. We also have a family w210 e55 amg and w203 autos.
1. Will the AT experience on the brz be far different from any of the economy ATs? Can some Long term owners chime in? My gripes about even the e55 amg AT is mainly the response lag. Especially when trying to dart in traffic. Plus, i also like engine breaking to control my speed. Does even the full manual mode allow this?
2. The yaris states my ave speed per trip is a friggin 10-14kph My daily drive is usually 45 min just to cover 5.5km.. that does merit an AT right?
3. Have any of you missed out on "driver and machine connection" With the AT?

Thanks! Maybe if i do get bored of the AT at least i can flip it when the right MT comes out :) its just that the comments against AT here can be harring "whoever oicks at on this car is nuts!/this car doesnt belong in anything but MT". Not sire if they just havent tried the AT

Silver Supra 08-13-2017 01:27 AM

I do not own one yet, but I have test-driven a few AT FR-S.
Paddle-shifting (manual mode) is a blast and I ran into no problem upshifting at full throttle or downshifting at will. Much faster shifting than a MT (which I also drove).
All of the cars I have tested were 35K-60K miles.

PS - IMHO, there are a lot of people that love MTs and many of them "hate on" ATs that they have not driven. This one is no slushbox like a lot of older or econo-cars.

carsebuco 08-13-2017 02:36 AM

I'm sure this car can be plenty enjoyable to drive even as AT, but when it comes to cars like these, I get more pleasure from the raw driving than anything. Hearing it clank loudly as I step on the clutch and change gears makes me feel good on the inside, and to be honest, I think that as long as you can get a similiar pleasure to it from an AT, I see no reason why you shouldn't. This car is all about enjoying the drive, so go enjoy it in whatever way you choose to.

leevanf 08-13-2017 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carsebuco (Post 2961268)
I'm sure this car can be plenty enjoyable to drive even as AT, but when it comes to cars like these, I get more pleasure from the raw driving than anything. Hearing it clank loudly as I step on the clutch and change gears makes me feel good on the inside, and to be honest, I think that as long as you can get a similiar pleasure to it from an AT, I see no reason why you shouldn't. This car is all about enjoying the drive, so go enjoy it in whatever way you choose to.

Thank you! Scheduled a viewing later to see the car already ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razgriz 08-13-2017 02:59 AM

I have an AT. I would prefer a MT. It's just more satisfying, which is a personal thing. But then I had my reasons for getting the AT too and I'm fine with it most of the time and only regret it about 5% of the time.

Lunatic 08-13-2017 03:33 AM

I have the auto and love it. After 45,000 miles I'm still glad I bought it.

mrg666 08-13-2017 08:36 AM

It is great to cruise on the highway at ~2500 rpm, gives better gas mileage than manual transmission, more reliable, and it can be driven manual too.

Car is launched differently (left-foot brake) but this car is not a drag racer anyway. There will not be a clutch that will make you feel "engaged". Acceleration is slower than manual because gear ratios are different with auto which is not a problem if you go FI :)

Auto is not boring at all, you still gotta learn efficient manual shifting and left-foot braking (instead of heel-and-toe) for sports driving. The feeling of engagement with car is still there.

davesrave 08-13-2017 09:49 AM

I've owned my AT BRZ for over 5 years now. Zero regrets. Came from a 6 speed Celica GT-S and had many manual transmissions cars before that. Best reason to own an AT is traffic jams. Assuming this is your daily driver, AT is a no brainer, IMO. Toyota lifted this from their Lexus line, so it's best of breed, nothing like any I've had on rental cars, which suck. In manual mode you can bang it against the rev limiter and it won't shift for you. I miss a MT about 3 percent of the time I'm driving this.

leevanf 08-13-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davesrave (Post 2961324)
I've owned my AT BRZ for over 5 years now. Zero regrets. Came from a 6 speed Celica GT-S and had many manual transmissions cars before that. Best reason to own an AT is traffic jams. Assuming this is your daily driver, AT is a no brainer, IMO. Toyota lifted this from their Lexus line, so it's best of breed, nothing like any I've had on rental cars, which suck. In manual mode you can bang it against the rev limiter and it won't shift for you. I miss a MT about 3 percent of the time I'm driving this.

Thank you! Had a test drive and I can imagine being in this cockpit in hour long traffic while sippin on a drink without worry. AT it is! I said yes to the seller hours ago!

Lunatic 08-13-2017 10:18 AM

Have fun with your new car.

Tcoat 08-13-2017 10:20 AM

OH oh here we go again.

All the "MT or die" crowd must still be in bed.

mrg666 08-13-2017 10:57 AM

Too late, tcoat :) We just converted one to our side. Slowly but surely winning :)

leevanf 08-13-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2961335)
OH oh here we go again.

All the "MT or die" crowd must still be in bed.

Yeah! I just pulled the trigger on AT :) will just fix paperwork and will post pics of the car this weekend when i pick t up!

leevanf 08-13-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrg666 (Post 2961342)
Too late, tcoat :) We just converted one to our side. Slowly but surely winning :)

The best explanation i could say is "I test drove the manual and it was great, but i test drove the AT and it was perfect!" Feels like i have a commuter+drifter+porsche+ferrari all in one car.