Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Catback exhaust pipes STUCK? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123136)

pjaaaay 11-05-2017 04:39 AM

Catback exhaust pipes STUCK?

I recently installed the MXP Comp rs catback exhaust system on my 17' BRZ. It sounds great, but I came across a couple problems during the installation.

The pipes which are meant to slide over each other, were slightly morphed and don't fit properly. The y-pipe on the end had a hard time going over the 2nd pipe. It went only half way over the 2nd pipe, leaving a gap in between the slits that can possibly cause an exhaust leak. Now the pipe is stuck in that position.

I tried to force it in to seal the gap, but it is completely stuck. Then I tried removing it, no luck. What can I do to get the pipe to slide all the way in?

mav1178 11-06-2017 01:43 PM

WD40

funwheeldrive 11-06-2017 01:51 PM

Butane torch?

DAEMANO 11-06-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3001108)
Butane torch?

Yep, this is the move.
@pjaaaay heat up the larger pipe with a butane torch. The metal will expand. You should then be able to slide it off. Careful to not accidentally heat up the smaller pipe and expand that one too. Also careful to not light the car or yourself on fire.

gl/hf

Tcoat 11-06-2017 02:28 PM

Once you get it off using the heat and while it is still hot use a U-bolt to round it out better. Just tighten the bolt against the high points on the pipe until you push it back into place. Don't get carried away and make the high spots the new low spots though.
I am struggling to write how to do it. Does this make any sense at all?

tyler_win_photo 11-08-2017 02:36 AM

Try bringing your exhaust to an exhaust shop and having them cone the bent exhaust piece(s). Worst comes to worst just have it welded together. Slip on exhausts are prone to leaking even if they may look like they have a good seal.

Tcoat 11-08-2017 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo (Post 3001963)
Try bringing your exhaust to an exhaust shop and having them cone the bent exhaust piece(s). Worst comes to worst just have it welded together. Slip on exhausts are prone to leaking even if they may look like they have a good seal.

This is the very best solution!

VoltsFRS2013 11-08-2017 11:17 AM

Exhaust shop or a butane torch and a dremel tool. Thats what I used to install my Muffler delete onto a very stubborn and rusted OEM downpipe last summer.

PS. dont tell my dealership that