Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Regrets on Automatic? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54801)

Ymerej 01-02-2014 04:12 PM

Regrets on Automatic?

Hey guy's im new to the forum and just wanted to know if anyone else had an automatic and regret getting it? my last car was manual but I decided to go with automatic due to my daily commute to nyc. Just annoying that all my friends laugh at me for going with the automatic. First impressions I get on the outside "nice car" than when people see the inside "oh automatic...gay." its really annoying. maybe im just a sensitive guy haha.

Atticus808 01-02-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymerej (Post 1425467)
Hey guy's im new to the forum and just wanted to know if anyone else had an automatic and regret getting it? my last car was manual but I decided to go with automatic due to my daily commute to nyc. Just annoying that all my friends laugh at me for going with the automatic. First impressions I get on the outside "nice car" than when people see the inside "oh automatic...gay." its really annoying. maybe im just a sensitive guy haha.

there will always be people like that. they're just jealous of your car, and they think "if i say manual is cool, then others will think i'm cool"

fact is there will not be anymore manual cars soon

Turbo95eg6 01-02-2014 04:16 PM

lol… are your friends still in highschool or just really immature?

993Fan 01-02-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus808 (Post 1425471)

All the more reason to enjoy them while you can.

Marusich 01-02-2014 04:23 PM

Not one. I can shift when I want to and relax when I want.

skidmark86 01-02-2014 04:23 PM

Driving back from work today and experiencing snow for the first time in a RWD car, I have to say that I'm happy I can keep both hands on the wheel at all times!

mike_ekim1024 01-02-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ymerej (Post 1425467)

There are a few good threads about this. It mostly boiled down to:

Driving in lots of traffic
Other people need to drive it
Gets better gas mileage

Or person has never driven stick. There was a compromise for me, based on other people and mpg. But since it shifts so quickly and rev matches, I'm pretty happy with it. The gearing is makes it accelerate slower from a start, but I've read 5 - 60mph there isn't a huge difference. But since I do autocross, I did buy (but not install yet) a 4.56 final drive, which should make it accelerate more like the manual.

Do a search and you'll find lot of comments on the subject, mostly positive.

BigRedDog 01-02-2014 04:24 PM

Get new friends or stop being insecure about what other people think about your car.

JonAvalon 01-02-2014 04:34 PM

Nope, i still love every second of my A/T.

Sure maybe in certain track day scenarios i'd like a stick or have launch control like those with Racerom with the M/T but i am happy with what i have. Does exactly what i want as a DD, i can still shift and have fun the way i want.

Missy 01-02-2014 04:37 PM

They're immature, stuck in high school manual= faster which in turn = cooler.
If its good for you then who cares what others think, you're happy with it so stay happy dammit!

OICU812 01-02-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus808 (Post 1425471)

Say what????? Lol

FACT is a strong word any evidence/proof to back it up or was that actually just your opinion? People were saying same thing ten years ago... :)

Back on topic, it makes ZERO difference to me what someone else has and I would not say anything negative nor feel one is necessarily better then the other as everyone has their own reasons for their choice is all. I have a manual atm..

ApolloSki 01-02-2014 04:46 PM

Some older guy told me I had a nice car...then proceeded to tell me "too bad its an automatic".. I just laughed as he drove away in his GTR.

Haters always gonna hate.

PoorMansRacing 01-02-2014 04:52 PM

Don't feel bad! My patella are detached from an injury I got in the military, so having a manual DD is destroying my knees. Sometimes I envy you auto drivers :)