Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Canadian FR-S tires (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5016)

Sport-Tech 04-15-2012 12:00 PM

Canadian FR-S tires

Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.

CoryUyede 04-15-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scion FR-S (Post 183635)
Can anyone confirm we are getting the same summer-only Primacy HP tires as the US? I forgot to ask about that yesterday, I'd been assuming they would be all-seasons up here due to climate. I can pretty much avoid driving on snow days, but summer-only tires won't likely be safe enough even in sub-freezing dry weather on a RWD car like this. Not looking forward to doing wheel changes every year.

I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from

colHolm 04-15-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoryUyede (Post 183656)
I would take a educated guess and say they`re going to be the same as every other market. I know all seasons might be more convenient to some but..it`s a sports car. I don`t know any Canadian market sports cars that come with all Seasons...and if they ever did..they`d put on some "max performance" all seasons that are really 3 season tires. Now a days even run of the mill cars get some of these '3 season' tires if you opt for a sport package

I'll be running 2 sets of rims/tires all year around like I do with all my cars, but i know where you're coming from

As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.

CoryUyede 04-15-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colHolm (Post 183662)
As far as I know, they are the same tires.

For the record, all seasons = no seasons. Whether you are driving a sports car or a family sedan, I will always recommend people to have a set of dedicated summer tires, and a set of dedicated winter tires.

Yup, always the way i do it :thumbsup:

Capt Canuck 04-15-2012 01:45 PM

Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4 (something like that) all-seasons. I replaced them with Star Specs and they performed better in the rain than the supposed all-seasons.

Annoyingly the FRS spec on the Scion site, still has provisos around it, but would Toyota really make changes just for the small Canadian market? Doubt it.

colHolm 04-15-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Canuck (Post 183666)
Spot on! When I got my Civic Si back in '07, it came with rubbish Michelin MXM4

Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.

CoryUyede 04-15-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colHolm (Post 183683)
Michelin MX4s, Honda used those tires a lot. I remember picking up a set of SiR wheels back in the day, and I couldn't wait to get em off. I replaced them with Pirelli P6000s.

If you wanna pay the high price tag, michelin makes some great tires..those are not one of them;)

Capt Canuck 04-15-2012 02:37 PM

^That's it. In the US the optional 'summer tires' were the Exalto PS2s.
I had those on my Clio and they were flippin great :-)

Funnily enough the price difference between Exaltos and the MXM4s was/is pretty small.

Sasquachulator 04-15-2012 05:50 PM

I dont the tire choice is any different between US and Canada.

My Corolla XRS came with Michelin Pilot Primacy stock so i had to buy a separate set of winters.

Ive seen Primacy's on all the SE trim of their various models.

bneale 04-16-2012 02:31 PM

I wonder if you are asking about the tires because your debating if you should change tires once the snow hits Toronoto this winter? Because if thats the case, I would definatly switch to a proper snow tire. I wouldn't dare use the stock tires for winter driving in Toronto.

That being said, I would invest in a proper winter set and think about buying something for summer driving. I've personally got a set of rims and tires picked out for summer driving and I'll be picking up a set of tires for heavy rain / winter months. We see more rain in Vancouver then snow so the rain tires should keep me planted.

In the end, my winter/rain tires will be on my stock rims and my sticky summer tires will be on a lightweight set of 16inch rims. Once the stock tires are gone, it's either summers or winters / rain for me.

bneale

Sport-Tech 04-16-2012 02:35 PM

^Not having to commute for work I can pretty well avoid driving when there is significant snow on the road, so the all-seasons on my current car have been fine. But it looks like we are getting HP summer tires so I don't think they will cut it in winter.

Sasquachulator 04-16-2012 02:37 PM

yeahh.....do not try driving in the winter with summer tires.

Its both scary and you have very little grip.