Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Frs vs s2000 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18696)

veuxx 10-01-2012 03:41 PM

Frs vs s2000

Hello I am looking at buying a new car. I love the FRS but wondering if the 200hp is underwhelming? It seems like a used S2000 might be a better car overall. Is there anyone that has driven both that could give any comments?

Thanks

RedRocket 10-01-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by veuxx (Post 470361)
Hello I am looking at buying a new car. I love the FRS but wondering if the 200hp is underwhelming? It seems like a used S2000 might be a better car overall. Is there anyone that has driven both that could give any comments?

Thanks

Well the S2000 is a much more expensive car. Buying a used car that retails for Around $37,000 vs $25,000 HUGE difference.

Is the Honda S2000 more powerful? YES. Is it the better Deal? NO.

jadewbj 10-01-2012 03:54 PM

I think you will get some quite biased answers here.

A clean S2000 with less than 15,000 miles is still around $27,000 and a 2008. That means the FRS is cheaper, 5 years newer, under warranty, has back seats and would cost less to insure.

All this for a car that is only slightly faster than the FRS????

veuxx 10-01-2012 03:55 PM

A few S's I'm looking at are around $19k with 20-35k miles vs FRS just for reference.

Zaggeron 10-01-2012 03:57 PM

I don't think the s2000 retails used for 37k. A quick check on my local Craigslist netted a dozen or so modest mileage examples around 5-7 years old for under 15K. Likely be at or around 25k for a 2008-9 model with low miles -- more for the CR.

DarkSunrise 10-01-2012 03:59 PM

Test drive both. The S2000 is a fun car to drive. With the top down, I think it's more fun than the FR-S. Both cars sit low and handle well, but the S2000 has more power and has a retractable top. It's also reliable and gets decent gas mileage. Especially living in a dry climate like Arizona, it'd probably be a good choice.

Just be sure you're ready to deal with the hassles of owning a 2-seat convertible (highway noise, possibility of theft/slashed top, lack of interior and storage space). Also make sure you do your homework and find a well-maintained car.

Sonolin 10-01-2012 03:59 PM

IMO, the power of the FR-S is not underwhelming. I never liked s2000 that much, so to me I'd definitely say FR-S but it all depends on what you want more.

Personally, when I'm actually driving my FR-S (using the M mode to keep the revs high), I have just enough power to satisfy my appetite. And I'm a v8 lover ;)

veuxx 10-01-2012 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=DarkSunrise;470400]Test drive both. The S2000 is a fun car to drive. With the top down, I think it's more fun than the FR-S. Both cars sit low and handle well, but the S2000 has more power and has a retractable top. It's also reliable and gets decent gas mileage. Especially living in a dry climate like Arizona, it'd probably be a good choice.

Just be sure you're ready to deal with the hassles of owning a 2-seat convertible (highway noise, possibility of theft/slashed top, lack of interior and storage space). Also make sure you do your homework and find a well-maintained car.[/QUOTE
Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the S slashed tops is a huge problem in Arizona. Insurance practically totals the car after they cut the gauge cluster and part out seats. I really like the FRS BRZ just need to test drive one. 200hp plus the 3.5-5 rev drop scares me a little bit.

Turbowned 10-01-2012 04:06 PM

I don't care for convertibles and the S2000 gets significantly worse mileage than the BRZ/FR-S (18/25 vs 22/30). Also, the BRZ/FR-S is a brand new design whereas the S2000 was designed in the late 90's. Annd the fact that it has more equipment standard (well, at least the BRZ does) and a decent trunk with folding rear seats makes it that much sweeter. I do like the S2000 but comparing the two I'd take the BRZ/FR-S.

One thing I will say though, is you could buy an S2000 for under $20k and use the extra $$ to buy a supercharger kit, which would get you around 350hp easily. That's pretty compelling!

jadewbj 10-01-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaggeron (Post 470394)
I don't think the s2000 retails used for 37k. A quick check on my local Craigslist netted a dozen or so modest mileage examples around 5-7 years old for under 15K. Likely be at or around 25k for a 2008-9 model with low miles -- more for the CR.

I pulled a quick search on autotrader for any S2000 with less than 15,000 miles and 24 was the cheapest was 25,000 unless you go to a 2002 or older car. That was in the entire US.

The 04 and up would be a minimum requirement since that is when they switched to the glass headlights, LED tails and the larger motor.

BioRage 10-01-2012 04:28 PM

I love S2000's.

But honestly I'm sure 99% of them are beaten to hell.

I'd be very heisitant to buy a used car that I know was most likely beaten on to a brand new car with warranty.

Unless you buy a 09, but I'm sure those are $$.

SpeedR 10-01-2012 05:32 PM

I have driven both on track I will take the FR-S any day for serious driving. S2000 is much less forgiving and there for slower most of the time despite the small power advantage.

Bu-Tang 10-01-2012 06:04 PM

Yea my buddy has an S2k, ive driven both, overall id take the FRS for the fact of more room, S2000 are tiny inside and you feel it from the moment you sit in it. I will say this, every time we swap cars I find it very hard to believe the S2000 is powered by A 2.0 Inline 4. VS Frs you know its a 2.0 and feels that way.
lets remember the S2000 was built to be a high priced car, Honda built one hell of a motor there. Everytime I drive that car it gives me the satisfaction I want from a car, but so does the FRS in a different way. Frs really challenges you to drive and drive well.

I find the FRS is much more enjoyable on a day to day basis as well, and with just the intake and Srt exhaust im already satisfied with the extra power. My re-flash is on the way as well and the flash alone seems to win a lot of ppl in terms of feel of power from the car.

I was in your same shoes prior to buying the FRS. I was in the market for an S2000. Im completely happy with my choice mainly cause all around the car works for me, I can do everyday stuff like hockey, or carry 2 extra passengers if needed. My buddy on the other hand often can barely fit anything, but its all about what you want out of a car!
certain ppl will sacrifice certain things to have what they want.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Dezoris 10-01-2012 06:26 PM

Owned two S2000s and now the FR-S.
As mirrored, the S2000 is much more edgy and tail happy and much less forgiving. You don't drift the S2000 it just spins. To drive it fast you have to be a good driver.

It is faster and in many ways feels more hard core. But...
It's a convertible, if you have winters it sucks, it's also a tight fit, uncomfortable for daily driving if you actually put on more than 12k a year. No storage.

The FR-S feels more composed, easier to drive and is more comfortable to drive all the time. And in many ways, despite it being slower, I personally think out of the box it can be driven faster with much less skill. The S2000 to me would be a good weekend project car, not so much a daily driver.