Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Dealership Accuses Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Ajustment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53724)

shiro 12-17-2013 10:01 AM

Dealership Accuses Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Ajustment

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to see if I can get some input on this issue and to help deliver a response to Corporate. Any input is good especially from engine mechanics, tuners and any engine enthusiasts.

Here's the scoope:

I have my FR-S at a dealership to be looked it for a blown engine. Originally, I had a turbo on the engine (GReddy) but did not do any modifications to the engine block itself. I reversed the add-ons (from what corporate requested) putting the car back to stock for Toyota to do a diagnostics. I dropped it off at the dealership and a couple days later received a phone call from them. The dealership's Service Manager accused me (and/or my tuner) of adjusting my Variable Vavle Timing (VVT) because of the turbo install. He stated the "Cover was on upside down and the timing was adjusted."

Now why would I or my tuner adjust that if no engine work was done? So my question for you all is:

1. Would you have to remove the engine (or a part of the engine) to see/adjust the VVT?

2. Can you tell the VVT has been adjusted if a diagnostics was not completed?

3. Has anyone adjusted the VVT before without doing engine work?

Please advise. Any imput would really help. Thanks all and Happy Holidays!! :)

FR-S Matt 12-17-2013 10:44 AM

I just faxed this thread over to your dealer.

s2d4 12-17-2013 10:54 AM

So, you put a turbo kit on.
Engine go kaboom, what do you expect the dealer to do? give you a new engine?

husker741 12-17-2013 11:01 AM

Which dealer? I'm from Omaha. WHO ARE YOU?

Ralph Spoilsport 12-17-2013 11:04 AM

Why are you even at the dealer? I don't see how this goes well.

shiro 12-17-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2d4 (Post 1395391)
So, you put a turbo kit on. Engine go kaboom, what do you expect the dealer to do? give you a new engine?

It’s a little more complicated than what I had posted. But thanks for your input…
Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 1395402)
Which dealer? I'm from Omaha. WHO ARE YOU?

My car is not at an Omaha dealership and it would be wise not to talk about the dealership’s name. I am only looking for guidance on the main questions.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport (Post 1395408)
Why are you even at the dealer? I don't see how this goes well.

Thanks for asking; it’s not going too well as you and I both know. However, the dealership I bought my car from never noted or repaired any of the issues I brought to their attention over several months. They claimed everything was normal. This was prior to the turbo installation. The turbo didn’t do any engine damage (it was on for under 600miles). The issues were a direct result of Toyota miss-timing the VVT. Overall, I want to know if it is possible for the dealership to sell a new car with a flipped VVT cover and if anyone has seen this. It’s kind of interesting to buy a faulty car from the get-go.
Also, would a dealership intentionally mess with the VVT and blame it on the customer? Thanks

1086 12-17-2013 01:33 PM

you admitted to the dealership that you put a turbo in the car? big mistake.

vhx1 12-17-2013 01:37 PM

I think all bets are off here in regards to getting your motor fixed under warranty since you had a turbo kit installed and proceeded to blow up the engine. I am not sure which specific part of the FA20 AVCS cover could be flipped. Can you ask for pics from the dealer.

SloS14 12-17-2013 01:38 PM

http://memedad.com/memes/75656.jpg

CSG Mike 12-17-2013 01:43 PM

Once you put the turbo on, you forfeit your warranty on the drivetrain, regardless of defects, UNLESS you can prove the defect caused the failure. The burdon of evidence will fall on you.

In this case, if the timing was indeed altered, then you need to take it up with the shop that did the install/tuning.

shiro 12-17-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vhx1 (Post 1395790)
I think all bets are off here in regards to getting your motor fixed under warranty since you had a turbo kit installed and proceeded to blow up the engine. I am not sure which specific part of the FA20 AVCS cover could be flipped. Can you ask for pics from the dealer.

Pictures from the dealership would be a good idea. I will ask them. Thanks :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 1395809)
Once you put the turbo on, you forfeit your warranty on the drivetrain, regardless of defects, UNLESS you can prove the defect caused the failure. The burdon of evidence will fall on you.

In this case, if the timing was indeed altered, then you need to take it up with the shop that did the install/tuning.

True, I'm well aware of that. I actually do have pictures, metrics and data logging, an extensive detail of what specifically was moded, etc. None of my mods should have caused this big of an issue.

I did verify with my tuner (which is one of the top tuners on this forum--name intentionlly left out for now) and they've never touched the VVT. There was no reason for me to adjust that for the small direct bolt on kit I had.

Thanks for some guidance! :)

CSG Mike 12-17-2013 01:57 PM

Best of luck! Keep us updated.

Ralph Spoilsport 12-17-2013 02:10 PM

If your car got messed up by the dealer service dept, your best bet here is establishing some sort of paper trail that shows that your dealer had a reason (think TSB) to be mucking around with the AVCS. There are a couple of AVCS related TSBs. Start there.

What were you doing when it failed?

BunnyRZed 12-17-2013 02:47 PM

There's not much the dealership can do. Once you install the turbo your warranty is already voided so if anything goes wrong they won't cover it.