Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Alternatives to BRZ, sub $30k (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4945)

zygrene 04-12-2012 09:35 AM

Alternatives to BRZ, sub $30k

So with the possibility that I won't be able to get my pre-ordered BRZ until July or later (I'm near the bottom on the pre-order list), I need a backup plan. I'm relocating from Texas to California in July so I'll need a car by the end of June. Here are my criteria:

1) Manual trans. I "know" how to drive a stickshift, but I've only had about 5 minutes in one. So I will need a couple weeks to practice, but I'm 110% against settling for an Auto at this point. Paddle shifters are lame.
2) Balance of handling and power. No V8 Mustang for me, thanks. But no 140bhp Civic, either.
3) Needs a backseat, even if it's small as hell.
4) Decent fuel economy (gas is damn expensive in Cali), I'd say around 25mpg combined is reasonable.
5) Reliability.
6) Aesthetics. Totally subjective, but I love the looks of the BRZ, S2000, RX7, and similar. I prefer coupes, but sedans and hatches are options.
7) Under $30k and 2010 or newer model.

Options I've considered:

1) Used 328i/335i coupe. Slightly hesitant on this one because of the 2012 model with turbo-charged 2.0L I4 that gets much better gas mileage and still under 6 seconds 0-60, supposedly. Also, everyone and their grandmother drives one in the Silicon Valley area.
2) VW GTI. Hesitant because it's basically just an econobox with a nicer engine. Heard the FWD isn't great for "fun" driving.
3) GenCoupe 2.0T or 3.8. Front is ugly as hell. Almost enough to turn me off entirely, but still an option if there are enough pros to outweigh the cons.
4) Used 128i/135i. Kinda ugly, very small, but I assume it's fun to drive?
5) Used A4 2.0T Quattro. Hard to find in a manual, and not too enthusiastic about luxury sedans. Prefer a lighter, sportier car.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome! :thanks:

ducks 04-12-2012 09:58 AM

i've got a pretty similar list of criteria for my new car. i'm looking for a semi-practical, sporty daily driver and considered most of the cars on your list. try taking a look at the mazdaspeed 3 and vw gli. ms3 kinda conflicts with #2,4 (though driving style will heavily influence this), and maybe 6 (haters gonna hate but at least its not boring). gli seems to be the best compromise between all aspects, but i just can't convince myself that it looks good and will be trouble free.

old greg 04-12-2012 11:47 AM

Keep the civic?

Road trips are a lot more fun than buying a car that you don't really want, and a lot cheaper as well.

powertrip 04-12-2012 12:18 PM

Get the car you want. Dont compromise. If you really decide to settle focus on the attributes you want from the car and find what fits it. I'd suggest also shopping older cars as you can always find great deals on cars that are more than just a couple of years old. Want fun RWD? 350z/older model M3, want fast? Evo 8/9, earlier STI, Used Mustang, V8 S4...

The list is endless. Good luck shopping.

Kimsey47 04-12-2012 12:27 PM

Just keep in mind if you go with BMW/Audi you may have some insane maintenance cost to bear.

Kimsey47 04-12-2012 12:36 PM

I'm going to suggest Subaru WRX... Looks like a 2010 would give you all you want/need, be reliable, and be a blast to rally cross your family around Cali! HAHA

Subie 04-12-2012 12:41 PM

Why not keep the Civic and have your BRZ shipped when it arrives?

iff2mastamatt 04-12-2012 01:17 PM

An '09/'10 nissan maxima might be a possibility for you- EXCEPT for the fact that they're only available in automatic transmissions. Used ones are about $22,000-$30,000 and have plenty of power. If you don't mind spending about $29K, there's always the 370Z for an '09 (maybe '10) model. Just be prepared to pay for premium gas.

zygrene 04-12-2012 01:51 PM

Hmm... lots of good advice here. I like the "don't compromise" suggestion. If I really want the BRZ, then I shouldn't mind waiting for it. And like I said before, I'm not too keen on getting a luxury car right now. How much do you think it would cost to have the dealership ship the BRZ to Cali when it arrives?

I don't really want a 370Z. It looks uglier than the 350Z and its power seems a tad overkill for everyday driving. And I don't really want a sedan either. I'm only 21 and relocating for my first job out of college, so no family to worry about. :)

Kimsey47 04-12-2012 02:05 PM

True, but it is a nice thing to be able to load up friends etc in the sedan. I always enjoyed the IS300, TSX because they were small, sporty, and could lug everyone around in comfort. Owned both and enjoyed both! (But they were UK spec so IS200, and Accord.) Since you're not tied down I say make a list of the suggestions you get, trim em down and go make a weekend or three full of test drives! :)

zygrene 04-12-2012 02:27 PM

Yeah, what I really need to do is take the time to test drive a bunch of cars. It's just that, on paper, the BRZ looks like the best option by far. I'm pretty big on aesthetics, and none of the cars I listed come close to the BRZ, except for the 3 Series coupe, but that's way more expensive to maintain. And, since this is technically a graduation gift from my parents, I have to make sure they're okay with it. That means the car can't be discontinued and should be no more than 3 years old.

I guess what I'm really looking for is suggestions for other cars that might have slipped my mind. But I do plan on test driving just about everything in May.

Capt Canuck 04-12-2012 03:21 PM

OP: I assume you are coming out for post grad school or is it work? If you are moving here proper, to be a resident of California, then I would check the DMV website about the hassle involved in registering an out of state car here.

AFAIK - from talking to fellow relocated coworkers - it is not cheap.

I'd keep your current DD, move out here and then re-evaluate.

Either way an A4 doesn't fullfill this - 2) Balance of handling and power. - unless it has an 'S' in it's title ;-)

bimmerboy 04-12-2012 05:12 PM

what about the WRX??

Cheddar 04-12-2012 05:32 PM

Iv seen some nice Nismo 350Zs around my parts for a nice 22K.