Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toyota GT86 / Scion FR-S Convertible Rumored for Geneva Debut in March 2013 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22871)

IntotheOcean 11-24-2012 09:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This thought always makes me sad.
But people love soft tops... So might as well give them what they want.

Surok 11-24-2012 09:47 PM

whatever they make, ill buy one.

i like to have a complete set of toys

fistpoint 11-24-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raul (Post 573110)
Although I don't support the idea, because typically folks who buy a convertible aren't the type of folks who care much about structural rigidity and weight (a.k.a non-enthusiasts),

Agreed, but it's still an option. Why couldn't a moonroof be an option? I'm not asking for a standard equipment moonroof. And it would still be significantly less ruined than a full convertible.

NetMagi 11-24-2012 10:32 PM

I understand the pic in this thread is just a 'shop', but wow those lines do not work in my opinion.

The rear flares and metal would need to be re-worked for this car's shape to work as a cabrio.

I second what a lot of other folks said. . I'd love to see an option for a hatchback.

-Rich H.

czar07 11-25-2012 12:49 AM

do you think it may just be an aero top rather than a full on cabrio?

Re_Invention 11-25-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin2111 (Post 573149)
For everyone who is saying that convertible buyers are not enthusiasts please keep in mind that that the Miata is the 1# modified and raced car in the history of automobiles.

I have a soft top but I rock a hardtop 75% of the time. I love the idea of a soft top. I would take it off add the sway/struts to keep the rigidity and then get a sexy hard top for it. Most people who hate on convertibles have never driven a Miata. It is not a Mercedes or Lexus which gets sloppy as hell. It is a race car with the sky above your head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas FR-S (Post 573208)
Yup... Although I was very happy owning the MX-5 because it was a pure sports car developed as a convertible from ground up.

Tex got it, the miata is a ground up convertible sports car - and an amazing one at that. Having the option would've been nice but I'm content that Mazda (and the s2000 as well!) decided not to bring over a coupe version of the it, the convertible is simply great as it is. With maybe the exception of some exotics (458 comes to mind) it's very rare, in fact, I can't think of a single one... that a chopped top coupe turns out to be a great sporty convertible meeting or exceeding the coupe version.

An also interesting look would be convertibles that turned into coupes and how they fared. Some that come to mind; BMW Z3/Z4, Pontiac Solstice, Shelby Cobra.. I say it's a mixed bag: some were better for it and some weren't.

Anyways, back to subject - A targa top may actually make some sense, does anyone know how it effects structural rigidity as compared to the standard coupe or a convertible? I know Porsche uses the targa method a lot in their history and I believe it was to retain some of the chassis balance/feel. Pop's Grand Sport Corvette has it and I think it's fantastic, a great balance for a sports car.

FT_Monk 11-25-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re_Invention (Post 572365)
The Cab is a cash cow for the company, they need to recoup some of their investment in this risky project. Also, have you literally read nothing? No turbo for FRS - it's been confirmed many times, hell even in this article :slap:

Cash cow is when they sell a bunch of cars and makes money; when lots of engineering cost going into boutique model like convertible that will not sell it is called money pit.
Read carefully and you will see that I said they should build the turbo version instead of convertible :slap:

dori. 11-25-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistpoint (Post 573346)
Agreed, but it's still an option. Why couldn't a moonroof be an option? I'm not asking for a standard equipment moonroof. And it would still be significantly less ruined than a full convertible.

have you SEEN the roof of the 86?

how the **** could the be able to add a moonroof to that.

a roadster designed from the ground up (as in with reinforced chassis) is less ruined than cutting a fricking hole in the roof of a rigid coupe

whaap 11-25-2012 09:48 AM

I think of cars like the Z, Cayman, the old CRX and how nice the access to the rear was with the hatchback configuration and I would have willingly sacrificed a few dollars or even a few pounds for a hatchback. I guess that's why they make vanilla and chocolate.

Turbowned 11-25-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin2111 (Post 573149)
For everyone who is saying that convertible buyers are not enthusiasts please keep in mind that that the Miata is the 1# modified and raced car in the history of automobiles.

I would not say that a convertible 2 seat roadster is a non-performance vehicle, but I would say that a convertible with any more than 2 seats is nothing more than an overweight wannabe cruiser, no matter what kind of engine, brakes or dampers it's fitted with. I'm looking straight at you, Mustang, Camaro, BMW M3/M6, and Audi S5! That's why I'm hoping if indeed they do make a 'vert 86, that it's a 2-seater.

fistpoint 11-25-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dori. (Post 573730)
have you SEEN the roof of the 86?

how the **** could the be able to add a moonroof to that.

a roadster designed from the ground up (as in with reinforced chassis) is less ruined than cutting a fricking hole in the roof of a rigid coupe

I seriously doubt that. A convertible needs lots of reinforcement in case the car rolls, much more than just a hole in the top.

Also, where the hell do you get this "ground up" concept from? The car was designed to NOT be a convertible. It most certainly was an afterthought, that's why there isn't one already out. The Miata on the other hand is a "ground-up" convertible.

dori. 11-25-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fistpoint (Post 574170)
I seriously doubt that. A convertible needs lots of reinforcement in case the car rolls, much more than just a hole in the top.

Also, where the hell do you get this "ground up" concept from? The car was designed to NOT be a convertible. It most certainly was an afterthought, that's why there isn't one already out. The Miata on the other hand is a "ground-up" convertible.

holy misunderstanding batman

what I mean is, if they design the roadster from the ground up as a roadster and not just chop the top off and call it a day. As in based on the 86 but with a new revised chassis.

I KNOW the car wasn't designed as a vert. everyone knows that :bonk:

Gixxersixxerman 11-26-2012 12:41 AM

these might have been posted on the forum before.. either way, i came across them looking for a FRS high def wallpaper

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...onvertible.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n..._729-420x0.jpg
and a BRZ version
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...onvertible.jpg

fistpoint 11-26-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dori. (Post 574675)
holy misunderstanding batman

what I mean is, if they design the roadster from the ground up as a roadster and not just chop the top off and call it a day. As in based on the 86 but with a new revised chassis.

I KNOW the car wasn't designed as a vert. everyone knows that :bonk:

I understood just fine. But they can't do what you say, the car already exists as a hardtop. Chopping the top is exactly what they have to do otherwise it becomes a different car all together. Is there a DeLorean somewhere in this thread I'm missing?