Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Weird Smog Check Failure (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153869)

gepeyo 08-15-2023 04:07 PM

Weird Smog Check Failure

Hey Everyone, its been a while since I've posted in the forum.

I gotten notice that I had to take my car into a shop to have it Smog checked as a Star station, so I took in my car today to have it checked. My car was running perfectly fine and there was no check engine lights or anything prior to driving my car into the shop.

When I arrived at the shop, the guy took my car in and after 10 minutes he told me that my car's OBDII reader was not getting communication with their system whatsoever. After 3 tries though, he was able to get it to connect into their database but the Smog apparently failed due to an OBDII error with low communication. (Code U0155). After they returned my car to me, my car suddenly had a check engine light and it went into limp mode, which made me panic at first but I assume the smog checker caused this when it accessed my OBDII. Looking at the paper he gave me on return everything else passed besides the OBDII.

I was wondering if anyone experienced this when they had their car smogged?

The extra details:
Car had a UEL tuned with a open flash tablet in the past, but since then has been removed/untuned. It also passed smog 2 years ago after having the UEL and OFT taken off.

About 4 years back, my car has a CEL due to a solenoid valve breaking, its since then been fixed by a shop and hasnt been a problem since.

Clipdat 08-15-2023 04:31 PM

What's the new code it's throwing? Were you able to pull it?

finch1750 08-16-2023 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gepeyo (Post 3589891)
Hey Everyone, its been a while since I've posted in the forum.

I gotten notice that I had to take my car into a shop to have it Smog checked as a Star station, so I took in my car today to have it checked. My car was running perfectly fine and there was no check engine lights or anything prior to driving my car into the shop.

When I arrived at the shop, the guy took my car in and after 10 minutes he told me that my car's OBDII reader was not getting communication with their system whatsoever. After 3 tries though, he was able to get it to connect into their database but the Smog apparently failed due to an OBDII error with low communication. (Code U0155). After they returned my car to me, my car suddenly had a check engine light and it went into limp mode, which made me panic at first but I assume the smog checker caused this when it accessed my OBDII. Looking at the paper he gave me on return everything else passed besides the OBDII.

I was wondering if anyone experienced this when they had their car smogged?

The extra details:
Car had a UEL tuned with a open flash tablet in the past, but since then has been removed/untuned. It also passed smog 2 years ago after having the UEL and OFT taken off.

About 4 years back, my car has a CEL due to a solenoid valve breaking, its since then been fixed by a shop and hasnt been a problem since.

Same thing happened to me. Should be a simple fix with the right smog guy. Ill post my ordeal/fix in the morning for you

finch1750 08-16-2023 01:00 PM

@gepeyo So I had the same thing happen with my car not reading on the machine, but when the tech went to try and push the connection better my dash through every light it could. Turning the car off and on cleared everything except the CEL. While not in limp mode, it did drive like total shit for a while while relearning.

https://i.imgur.com/SZrRUoP.jpg

I took the car to Neal's new shop and luckily he was there and helped get me squared away pretty easily.
The OBD on the early years get bad connections and don't read. He loaned me an obd extension and sent me to his smog guy around the corner and it passed no problem.

So try an extension and find a smog shop that will allow it. If that doesn't work the OBD port itself may need to be replaced.

strat61caster 08-16-2023 06:34 PM

+1 real fix is fixing/swapping the obd2 port so the pins engage properly. If you’re really skilled you can repin the original connector, I’m a monkey so I immediately broke it. Easiest I found is splicing in a pigtail I got from iwireusa.

Ultramaroon 08-16-2023 08:15 PM

That's it. OP, you know how a wall socket wears out so we bend the prongs on the vacuum cleaner plug to make it work? Same thing, only now the plug has sixteen prongs/pins.

villainous_frx 08-16-2023 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3590022)
That's it. OP, you know how a wall socket wears out so we bend the prongs on the vacuum cleaner plug to make it work? Same thing, only now the plug has sixteen prongs/pins.

This is an excellent analogy. :thumbup:

jflogerzi 08-17-2023 05:54 PM

I have seen this when the port disconnects during my track days. I just used zip ties to make my reader very secure and its mostly not an issues now.

finch1750 09-12-2023 11:54 AM

@gepeyo did you ever get this squared away?