Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   DIY - Gauge Cluster LED swap (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58207)

sirisvirus 03-25-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackrsx (Post 1609875)
They look like the correct ones.

Now where can I find the bulbs for the hvac in blue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RacerX 03-29-2014 01:26 AM

You guys do know that the voltage drop for red LEDs is usually around 1.7V and White LEDs are around 3.3V! That could be why the BRZ and FRS LED clusters have different numbers of LEDs.

Depending on how their wired, doing this might cause damage. I guess nobody has had any issues, but I would definitely have probed the voltage rail and included resistors for proper current limiting. You don't want to overload any LEDs or voltage regulators.

BTW, my speedo is off by +1mph when compared to the digital. Never messed with my cluster so thats from the factory.

Acree 03-29-2014 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 1634320)
You guys do know that the voltage drop for red LEDs is usually around 1.7V and White LEDs are around 3.3V! That could be why the BRZ and FRS LED clusters have different numbers of LEDs.

Depending on how their wired, doing this might cause damage. I guess nobody has had any issues, but I would definitely have probed the voltage rail and included resistors for proper current limiting. You don't want to overload any LEDs or voltage regulators.

BTW, my speedo is off by +1mph when compared to the digital. Never messed with my cluster so thats from the factory.

I can speak with some authority on this subject. Swapping blue LEDs for red is not a problem.

RacerX 03-29-2014 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acree (Post 1634365)
I can speak with some authority on this subject. Swapping blue LEDs for red is not a problem.

That is good to know. Must be a constant current source then.

sshole 03-29-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 1634320)

I didn't pay much attention during my circuits course for my mechanical engineering degree.

RacerX 03-30-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sshole (Post 1634692)
I didn't pay much attention during my circuits course for my mechanical engineering degree.

LOL. My EE professors like to make fun of MEs.

Acree 03-30-2014 02:27 PM

I would recommend staying far away from eBay when sourcing electronic components.

Try these: Link

Acree 03-30-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RacerX (Post 1634369)
That is good to know. Must be a constant current source then.

And nope, it's just a simple resistor LED series string. But the LEDs draw enough current to put out plenty of light. There's no reason to change the resistor in this particular application when going from red to blue. If you were going from blue to red, I would recommend changing resistors.

Mooseknuckle44 04-03-2014 07:47 AM

Great DIY!! I like the look of the darker red for the end result.

Off topic question-sort of.

Never soldered anything before. Any recommendations for a good place to learn besides trial and error?

sshole 04-03-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 (Post 1646024)
Great DIY!! I like the look of the darker red for the end result.

Off topic question-sort of.

Never soldered anything before. Any recommendations for a good place to learn besides trial and error?

Find something that has surface mounted components and start soldering away. Learn how to desolder components - this is especially useful when working in the gauge cluster.

sshole 04-03-2014 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acree (Post 1636544)
I would recommend staying far away from eBay when sourcing electronic components.

Try these: Link

My ebay LEDs, while not the best quality, have been working 100% since however many years ago that I ordered them. I think it was 3 or 4 years ago.

But yes. Agreed. Don't buy ebay electronic components. They're terrible and you'll have at least 10% dead on arrival.

Mooseknuckle44 04-03-2014 08:10 AM

I'm assuming one soldering tool is just as good as the next? Or is there a Walmart version and a Snap On version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sshole 04-03-2014 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 (Post 1646040)
I'm assuming one soldering tool is just as good as the next?

Sort of, not really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 (Post 1646040)
Or is there a Walmart version and a Snap On version?

Yes.

I've been getting by with crappy throw-away $10 RadioShack soldering irons for the past 10+ years. I've seen no need to upgrade to the $50+ units from the "Snap-On" brands.