Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best Selling Exhaust among Italian GT86 community (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129532)

Faber86 08-11-2018 10:15 AM

Best Selling Exhaust among Italian GT86 community

Hi Guys!

I recently made a video about the above mentioned topic, and since it quite a good sounding, cost/weight effective option, I thought that you guys might have been interested in it.

There we go:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8SoGtf2YI&t=[/ame]

I tried to be as neutral and transparent as possible, I'm not getting any money from Aros, in fact I'm still experimenting among other configurations with the HKS legamax premium that I've got and I do prefer the latter in some of them.

Let me know what you guys think :)

GrantedTaken 08-11-2018 10:23 AM

I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore kind of thing.

EdBoy 08-11-2018 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantedTaken (Post 3120411)
I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore kind of thing.

Haha I was thinking the same.

RJasonKlein 08-12-2018 12:13 AM

Pretty cool - thanks for sharing something we don’t see here often in the United States.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-12-2018 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJasonKlein (Post 3120617)
Pretty cool - thanks for sharing something we don’t see here often in the United States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faber86 (Post 3120409)
Hi Guys!

I recently made a video about the above mentioned topic, and since it quite a good sounding, cost/weight effective option, I thought that you guys might have been interested in it.

I tried to be as neutral and transparent as possible, I'm not getting any money from Aros, in fact I'm still experimenting among other configurations with the HKS legamax premium that I've got and I do prefer the latter in some of them.

Let me know what you guys think :)

I'm kind of curious, why does the italian community need a different exhaust than other vendors?

Is it just shipping cost, or a emissions/decibel issue that other products don't provide?

Or is this just a review for the italian community to consider?

RJasonKlein 08-12-2018 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3120626)
I'm kind of curious, why does the italian community need a different exhaust than other vendors?

Is it just shipping cost, or a emissions/decibel issue that other products don't provide?

@Faber86 will certainly know more about his home market than me, but I assume that it has more to do with an Italian company simply selling locally than the exhaust meeting any specific or unique requirements for the Italian market. Manufacturing and selling locally means that the manufacturer may have a competitive advantage by having reduced shipping costs on a heavy item, national brand recognition, customers that prefer to support their home country, and the avoidance of currency exchange fluctuations that may adversely affect price. @Faber86, does the Italian market share EU noise and other legal requirements, or are they unique to Italy?

RIĐO 08-12-2018 03:38 AM

@FRSBRZGT86FAN

In most EU you need approved parts if you want to modify your car. You can't just put different wheels or exhaust on your car without a certificate. It is A LOT more difficult to mod your car. Spoilers, body kits, wide rims, forced induction is almost mission impossible. I have spent abou 10k eur just to get my AVO kit legal for example. It is hard and expensive. There are countries like UK or Bulgaria that have looser laws but most of the other countries are realy strict when it comes to modification. Everything is based on TUV, ABE or ECE approvals. If you try to find parts with this certificates you go crazy.

Kodename47 08-12-2018 05:30 AM

Quote:

FWIW here in the UK the most common exhausts at the moment are Cobra and Tuning Developments. Then that is usually followed by any of the JDM offerings. US made stuff is rarely chosen, primarily as the UK made stuff is cheaper and then the JDM fanbois lap up those others.

I would assume that the 2 I mentioned from the UK are rarely, if at all, bought in the US ;)

why? 08-12-2018 07:15 AM

Also note Italy is usually one of the most strict when it comes to mods, as there seems to be regular stories about bunches of cops just randomly stopping everyone and checking everything for illegal aftermarket parts on cars, and then if they find something they tow the car immediately.

Ernest72 08-12-2018 09:47 AM

Sort of like California and CARB. Glad I live in a free country.

Faber86 08-12-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Well the reason of this exhaust's success for us here is primarily it's price point, for less than 1K for a resonated catback+front pipe, there's pretty much no other option for us, and keep in mind Italian forum's users do get an additional 8% to 15% discount depending on the amount of users who buy together. (The Hks costed me 300€ just for shipping from uk)

Regulation wise it's quite messy in Italy, the Aros exhaust (with dekat front pipe) is 100% illegal, emission and soundwise, but it has been engineered in a way that is very cop-friendly, which means unless you find a very picky and angry cop who stops you, they won't go as far as check the sound emission volume or bump your hood (which happens very rarerly), and if we need to pass the state's emission test, either we go to a friend, or we just reinstall the oem pieces to pass the test and we're good ;)

Faber86 08-12-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJasonKlein (Post 3120643)
@Faber86 will certainly know more about his home market than me, but I assume that it has more to do with an Italian company simply selling locally than the exhaust meeting any specific or unique requirements for the Italian market. Manufacturing and selling locally means that the manufacturer may have a competitive advantage by having reduced shipping costs on a heavy item, national brand recognition, customers that prefer to support their home country, and the avoidance of currency exchange fluctuations that may adversely affect price. @Faber86, does the Italian market share EU noise and other legal requirements, or are they unique to Italy?

Yes pretty much all you said,
And yes we do need to align to Eu emission regulation,
my 86 is (was) a euro 6.2

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIĐO (Post 3120644)
@FRSBRZGT86FAN

In most EU you need approved parts if you want to modify your car. You can't just put different wheels or exhaust on your car without a certificate. It is A LOT more difficult to mod your car. Spoilers, body kits, wide rims, forced induction is almost mission impossible. I have spent abou 10k eur just to get my AVO kit legal for example. It is hard and expensive. There are countries like UK or Bulgaria that have looser laws but most of the other countries are realy strict when it comes to modification. Everything is based on TUV, ABE or ECE approvals. If you try to find parts with this certificates you go crazy.

Much true as well,
Though fun fact: TUV certification is not valid here in Italy

RIĐO 08-12-2018 11:26 AM

@Faber86

Porco dio no TUV!? Are police afraid your tuned JDM might outrun their lamborghini cop cars? :D well you can't have both a nice country and cool tuning laws I guess :)

nikitopo 08-12-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faber86 (Post 3120690)
Regulation wise it's quite messy in Italy, the Aros exhaust (with dekat front pipe) is 100% illegal, emission and soundwise, but it has been engineered in a way that is very cop-friendly, which means unless you find a very picky and angry cop who stops you, they won't go as far as check the sound emission volume or bump your hood (which happens very rarerly), and if we need to pass the state's emission test, either we go to a friend, or we just reinstall the oem pieces to pass the test and we're good ;)

Greetings from Germany :). I was quite sure that the exhaust is illegal. The sound level is high.