Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speeding ticket by pacing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89648)

slyphen 06-07-2015 02:07 AM

Speeding ticket by pacing

Hey guys, not sure if this is off topic. but since i recently moved here from NY, i've never heard a pace speeding ticket(but then again, i've only gotten 1 speeding ticket since i started driving back in 08 and that was almost 6 years ago).

I'm not going to state if I was speeding or not(it was a bit ridiculous is all i'm going to say.) But from some research i've been doing online, some say i have a good chance of fighting this off because the police officer on the motorbike used pacing as a gauge for speed. Just want to get some advice and hear some different opinions. First time ever being pulled over in WA.

Thanks!

P.S. this happened on the freeway just before broadway in everett. I was just going for a car wash. =.=

Chen 06-07-2015 03:49 AM

I'm not entirely sure how a pacing ticket works. But from what I guess is a cop spotted you then followed you and matched your speed? Only thing I can think of to prove him wrong was saying your passing other cars as he was pacing.

ZionsWrath 06-07-2015 04:27 AM

I currently waiting on my court date for same type of thing. Ticket says pace then radar in another spot. Interested to hear input on this as well.

Im in ny though

jblmr2 06-07-2015 10:48 AM

Before the advent of radar being used by police, pacing was only method they used for speeding. Unless you have some very compelling evidence to dispute the cop it will be your word against his/hers. I think you know how that's going to play out in front of a judge.

slyphen 06-07-2015 11:22 AM

this is one thing i was reading about that i might use in my defense before we even get to the speed. http://pacespeedingtickets.com/ there are a few other forums i seen used this exact defense.

Cooperdh 06-07-2015 01:07 PM

The burden of proof for traffic tickets is very low. It really depends on the speed one was driving. If it was excessive (over 20 MPH over limit), then it isn't hard for the officer to prove more likely than not that one was speeding. So in other words, you may be screwed.

slyphen 06-07-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooperdh (Post 2278102)
The burden of proof for traffic tickets is very low. It really depends on the speed one was driving. If it was excessive (over 20 MPH over limit), then it isn't hard for the officer to prove more likely than not that one was speeding. So in other words, you may be screwed.

oh it was not even close to over 20MPH over the limit. like i said it was ridiculous

2PINOY1 06-07-2015 08:12 PM

Get a traffic lawyer he can get you off just paying his fee. This will not show on your record and your insurance will not go up. It will save u money in the long run...

slyphen 06-08-2015 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PINOY1 (Post 2278481)
Get a traffic lawyer he can get you off just paying his fee. This will not show on your record and your insurance will not go up. It will save u money in the long run...

how much do those usually go for?

RobertPaulson 06-08-2015 12:44 PM

https://www.mucklestone.com/ she came highly recommended to me by a lot of people at microsoft. i've used her twice and she's gotten both tickets thrown out.

bboyclo 06-08-2015 03:12 PM

if it's your 1st one just defer it

slyphen 06-08-2015 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboyclo (Post 2279349)

as in just pay it?

RobertPaulson 06-08-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bboyclo (Post 2279349)

you need to make sure the court house in question even offers defferal. I found out the hard way several years ago that Arlington with some crusty old fucker does not. Watched him shut down 3 people who asked for it. I then tried to get the fine reduced by admitting to doing 78, which was true, i had my cruise on, was passed by a black dodge nitro, cop tags nitro, pulls me over and gave me a ticket for 84. Judge told me he'd mail me his decision in 2 weeks. he stuck me with a ticket for doing 84.

so between the time spent in the courthouse, driving to the courthouse and the fine, i'd have paid less to pay a traffic attorney.

edit: just looked it up, arlington does offer defferals, fucking asshole judge.

continuecrushing 06-08-2015 04:43 PM

sell everything for cash and move out of the country.

but, were you speeding? If so, easier to just pay the fine and get on with it! And make sure you aren't followed lol