Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   FR-S/BRZ vs. Genesis Coupe (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2161)

Snoopyalien24 01-17-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miata (Post 115949)
I am starting to like GC 2.0T. IMO it is a lot of car for the money at about $23K. I only wish it was lighter so it could get 35mpg on hwy. and it would be extremely fun also if it weighed under 2900 lb.

Same here.

I feel like the FRS/BRZ will beat a GC 2.0T due to so much more weight and only 10 hp more. (older generation)

e30kawi 01-17-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbxgz (Post 116059)
My plan as well. 13 GC is my back up plan if the BRZ comes in over 26k. However I'm a little upset about the standard/optional features. I really like having HIDs which aren't even an option until u go to the 3.8 model.. not that big of a deal though, the 2.0T will be a great buy if it comes in at 23k

My plan exactly, I really want the 3.8, still may get it, but the 2.0 may be the better buy. Never had a turbo'd car before, and I do have a heavy foot so running boost all the time may be hazardous to my wallet.

Max Schnell 01-17-2012 09:35 PM

I think Hyundai screwed up with enthusiasts with the 2.0 GC when they released it with 210hp. When that car was released Hyundai did pitch the fact that it is the same shared motor as the one in the Evo X just detuned. Problem is that aftermarket did not come to the rescue like Hyundai expected in the US. Hyundai also did not make the ECU easy to work with apparently.

The turbo motor in the 2.0 GC (if it is indeed the "same" as the Evo X) can be tuned to easy 400+hp. Evo Xs with bolt-on and tunes are running in that hp range. Problem is getting the aftermarket stuff that will work with the Hyundai is difficult up to this point.

I would not take the 3.8 over the 2.0 if there was aftermarket support like the EVO has. The 2.0 is lighter and with factory turbo engine "should" have been easy to get over the 3.8's power levels. Sadly this is not true at least for now.

Tbxgz 01-17-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30kawi (Post 116076)
My plan exactly, I really want the 3.8, still may get it, but the 2.0 may be the better buy. Never had a turbo'd car before, and I do have a heavy foot so running boost all the time may be hazardous to my wallet.

Hopefully subaru/scion will recognize the large amount of buyers considering the GC and keep it below 25k :happy0180:

kmbkk 01-17-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e30kawi (Post 116076)

I've had 3 turbo cars in the past and they are a blast to drive. Of course they were awd, so its a little difference. It's a lot easier to make power with the same amount of money on a turboed car than an n/a car, but the GC weighs considerably more than the FR-S. If I was going to choose between the 2.0T and 3.8 I'd go with the 2.0T RSpec.

cassidy0998 01-17-2012 10:35 PM

The 275hp 2.0T coming in at $22-$23k sounds so appealing. As much as I've been debating over the FR-S/BRZ and the GC, a nice modern fun CHEAP rwd turbo car sounds like a blast.

This decision is going to be tough...

glorydays 01-17-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 114986)
You're right, I shouldn't have said anything. I was just trying to point out you shouldn't sterotype all drivers of a particular car.

sarcasm.

ryude 01-17-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassidy0998 (Post 116131)
The 275hp 2.0T coming in at $22-$23k sounds so appealing. As much as I've been debating over the FR-S/BRZ and the GC, a nice modern fun CHEAP rwd turbo car sounds like a blast.

This decision is going to be tough...

As much as Hyundai has progressed, they still can't make a manual transmission for shit. The ECU is a nightmare so tuning isn't quite there yet. I heavily researched the GC, lurked on their forums, etc. It's an ok car, but don't expect it to be anything like what the fr-s/brz will be.

kmbkk 01-17-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glorydays (Post 116153)
sarcasm.

My mistake, I apologize to you. I should have known better.

Capt Canuck 01-18-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmbkk (Post 114986)
You're right, I shouldn't have said anything. I was just trying to point out you shouldn't sterotype all drivers of a particular car.

No worries :thumbsup:
I just couldn't pass up that opportunity. I'm an old sob like you and like yourself I've driven cars that maybe some people would think are more geared towards boyracers than 'adults', so I completely get where you're coming from.

KeepGuessing 01-18-2012 02:03 AM

The funniest thing to hear from tuners in my opinion, is the complaint about a locked ECU..

Tuners spend thousands of dollars buying ugly as sin offset wheels and undersized tires to stand out in traffic, they spend money on track-bred suspension components without ANY knowledge on suspension setups and end up with a lowered crappy handling poor ride quality brand new car..

But yet they complain that they can't go buy a 50 dollar piggyback and gain 50 horses...

IF you're serious about modifying the engine, go buy a stand alone..Problem solved...ECU is now in your control and you have no reason to complain about how difficult Hyundai made the car for the 27 year old asian UTI graduate to run without backfiring....

Build the car correctly and you won't run into a problem..Complaining that a 2010-2011-2012-2013 car isn't built to the same retardo-Engine Management Unit that'll let you boost your car till it explodes because they were so cool in the 90's needs to stop..

You can't sit here and praise the efficiency you've gained from direct injection and then complain that the company won't let you mess and fiddle with the quantities they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D money to perfect...

What happens when you leave a ECU unlocked? Some idiot ruins their car and tries to blame the company, starts a thread on EVERY car web site about how they got ripped off and negative publicity spreads like AIDS.

e30kawi 01-18-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepGuessing (Post 116278)
What happens when you leave a ECU unlocked? Some idiot ruins their car and tries to blame the company, starts a thread on EVERY car web site about how they got ripped off and negative publicity spreads like AIDS.

Thats the truth, and kind of sad about today's society, no one is to blame for their own mistakes. What ever new car I buy I won't be modding it like crazy, which is why I am wanting a NA motor, but 275 from a 2.0 is nothing to scoff at.

ryude 01-18-2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepGuessing (Post 116278)
The funniest thing to hear from tuners in my opinion, is the complaint about a locked ECU..

Tuners spend thousands of dollars buying ugly as sin offset wheels and undersized tires to stand out in traffic, they spend money on track-bred suspension components without ANY knowledge on suspension setups and end up with a lowered crappy handling poor ride quality brand new car..

But yet they complain that they can't go buy a 50 dollar piggyback and gain 50 horses...

IF you're serious about modifying the engine, go buy a stand alone..Problem solved...ECU is now in your control and you have no reason to complain about how difficult Hyundai made the car for the 27 year old asian UTI graduate to run without backfiring....

Build the car correctly and you won't run into a problem..Complaining that a 2010-2011-2012-2013 car isn't built to the same retardo-Engine Management Unit that'll let you boost your car till it explodes because they were so cool in the 90's needs to stop..

You can't sit here and praise the efficiency you've gained from direct injection and then complain that the company won't let you mess and fiddle with the quantities they spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in R&D money to perfect...

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anyone ever post a thread about an ECU tune messing up their car. Stand-alone ECU's are a solution to the past, every large aftermarket car in the past 10 years has some type of flash giving you every bit of tuning you need. If anything, flashing a stock ECU is safer than using stand alone.

Max Schnell 01-18-2012 08:00 AM

Standalone also cost alot if you want to do it right. Tuners have no problem tuning any car if you go standalone, but at $1500 plus tuning cost/installation they will make no money from that setup except for a few race guys.

Average 23k car owners will not have $2-3k to dump on a tune. $500 dollar flash? I guess a few month of eating nothing but oatmeals and rice will help get you there.

Its the same motor structure as the EVO. Mitsu tuners are flashing ECUs left and right with great results at an affordable price. Hyundai needs to figure that part out if they want the GC 2.0 to be more popular. The hp increase will draw buyers but if the aftermarket cannot mod it its not going to be a top choice to enthusiasts who are financially limited.

The BRZ/FRS will have huge aftermarket support simply because japanese tuning companies usually get access pretty quickly to japanese cars and the aftermarket is part of the car culture it seems. Being a small displacement NA/High comp/DI motor the hp tuning limit will probably be limited compared to the GC 2.0 motor.