Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can you find a perfect driving position in 86BRZ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133931)

Andyxin 04-07-2019 01:44 AM

Can you find a perfect driving position in 86BRZ?

I have owned BRZ for almost two years and I'm still excited to drive it everyday. The steering feel is perfect. The only complaint I have is the sitting position, especially after sitting in other cars. I drove my friend’s 911 last week and I got the perfect driving position that I have never gotten in BRZ in less than one minute. I'm 6’ and have a normal body shape. The steering wheel in BRZ is too close to dash even at the furthest setting. My legs are crashed into the dash if I get my arms comfortable. Now my seat is in the middle position between these two and I can't put my back comfortably on the seat back without stretching my arm. The seat is also not low enough for me. Overall, It is not the type of giving you back pain in 20 minutes driving bad, but it is just not comfortable. I have read and watched many tutorials about correct driving positions for daily and track. I can also find a great driving position in M3 and even in an AMG GT.

humfrz 04-07-2019 02:26 AM

Yep, I did about 5 years ago and the seat position hasn't been changed a bit since (unless I put the back of the seat all the way back to take a nap - ;)).

Oh yes, I'm 5'9", if I stand up straight, weigh 175 lbs. and have an old standard build.

Have you tried Prozac ??

:iono:

humfrz

ToySub1946 04-07-2019 02:33 AM

For most people the seating in this car fits better than most other vehicles on the road.

One of the main reasons I bought this car is due to the fact that it fit my body perfectly before I even drove off the lot for a test drive.

I think it's the very tall people who just don't fit the car. You being just 6' tall, it should fit.

Well me, I'm short, 5'7" tall. I've owned over 60 vehicles in my lifetime. This one fits best overall, other than my 1985 Toyota Pickup, SR5 model with totally worn out bucket seats...that one being my benchmark for total comfort.

Normally it's the Miata which people complain about it's seating.

If Prozac not for you, try weed.

86MLR 04-07-2019 02:59 AM

Yeap, everytime I get in after the Mrs or the kids have been driving it.

Muscle memory the up/down, forward/back, recline/??incline it for about 5 second then :burnrubber:

Andyxin 04-07-2019 03:53 AM

Can you find a perfect driving position in 86BRZ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToySub1946 (Post 3204628)
For most people the seating in this car fits better than most other vehicles on the road.

One of the main reasons I bought this car is due to the fact that it fit my body perfectly before I even drove off the lot for a test drive.

I think it's the very tall people who just don't fit the car. You being just 6' tall, it should fit.

Well me, I'm short, 5'7" tall. I've owned over 60 vehicles in my lifetime. This one fits best overall, other than my 1985 Toyota Pickup, SR5 model with totally worn out bucket seats...that one being my benchmark for total comfort.

Normally it's the Miata which people complain about it's seating.

If Prozac not for you, try weed.

This is actually the reason why I made this post. I haven't seen many people complaining about seating position in 86brz and I tried to convince myself this car should fit me well, but it just doesn't. I have basically tried every possibility since the seat in our car doesn't have a lot of adjustability.

86MLR 04-07-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyxin (Post 3204635)
This is actually the reason why I made this post. I haven't seen many people complaining about seating position in 86brz and I tried to convince myself this car should fit me well, but it just doesn't. I have basically tried every possibility since the seat in our car doesn't have a lot of adjustability.

First adjust the forward back position, slight bend in clutch leg with clutch disengaged, then height, then set the recline so your wrists are on the top of the wheel with your arms straight.

Then test and adjust.

Which part are you uncomfortable with, leg, body or arm?

Joyride86 04-07-2019 06:22 AM

You must be all legs or have t-rex arms. Jk.

My seating position in this car is different than my other cars. I sit a little more upright bringing my torso closer to the wheel. I feel more engaged and comfortable this way. The seats themselves are very supportive, just wished it had slightly more lumbar support for my lower back.

Regarding the pedal positioning. I have the clutch where I like it, but feel the gas pedal is just a touch close. Very minor though. Overall, I'm pretty comfortable in this car, but I totally hear you on the lack of adjustability.

gravitylover 04-07-2019 06:22 AM

I think this is the easiest out of 25 cars that I've owned to find the right seating position. I'm also short at 5'6" and have no problem. I would like it though if the clutch pedal wasn't such a stretch when pushed in, I'd like to be a bit further back but that's just nit picking.

Spuds 04-07-2019 09:46 AM

I'm 5'11". I do wish the steering wheel could be set about an inch closer, but I've found a comfortable position that works for long drives. Seat bottom as low as it will go, one click closer to the pedals than perfect for legs, seat back winds up fairly upright to get arms in a good position. I found that the right tilt angle on the steering wheel is surprisingly important as well. Mines about 80% of the tilt range to the top (top being 100%).

bhmax 04-07-2019 01:45 PM

I was amazed how great the seating position felt for me on the first test drive after getting out of an Evo9. I make some slight adjustments depending on curvy roads vs highway, but otherwise it’s been great. I think someone here is coming up with some extenders to get the wheel closer though.

extrashaky 04-07-2019 01:56 PM

Quote:

This is actually the reason why I made this post. I haven't seen many people complaining about seating position in 86brz and I tried to convince myself this car should fit me well, but it just doesn't.

It has been discussed here. I know, because I share the same problem and have discussed it. I've been driving this car long distances for work since 2014 (average 25K miles per year) and still am not 100% comfortable with the driving position.

It doesn't completely solve the problem, but it helped me a little bit to install a deeper ATC steering wheel that moves the wheel 20mm closer. Unfortunately it's also a smaller diameter, so some of what I gain in one direction is lost in another.

There are steering wheel setups that get the wheel even closer, but they require losing the airbag. I was reluctant to do that, but one day when I'm more annoyed than usual I may change my mind and order one.

Ultramaroon 04-07-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

You've described exactly my struggle but I'm 6'5". I keep studying the exploded diagrams of the steering column thinking of ways to extend it about 6".

Still by a long shot, it's the most comfortable seating position I've personally experienced. And my wife still comments on how comfortable it is, especially for long trips.

Tcoat 04-07-2019 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3204704)
You've described exactly my struggle but I'm 6'5". I keep studying the exploded diagrams of the steering column thinking of ways to extend it about 6".

Still by a long shot, it's the most comfortable seating position I've personally experienced. And my wife still comments on how comfortable it is, especially for long trips.

Could be worse.

Ultramaroon 04-07-2019 03:00 PM

Awww... there's my wedding band. :(