Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Clutch during valve spring recall $1100? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132808)

Four_wheel_drifts 02-05-2019 11:57 AM

Clutch during valve spring recall $1100?

Beaverton Toyota is suggesting I replace the clutch while they have the motor out for the recall. It’s “only” around $1100 including a flywheel while they are in there anyway. Seems excessive to me since the motor is already out.

What do you all think?

Sergeb96 02-05-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts (Post 3182300)
Beaverton Toyota is suggesting I replace the clutch while they have the motor out for the recall. It’s “only” around $1100 including a flywheel while they are in there anyway. Seems excessive to me since the motor is already out.

What do you all think?

Seems a bit much. Others I read got quoted about half less with the clutch job. This dealership is trying to milk money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butterballz 02-05-2019 12:05 PM

I swear dealerships are trying to recoup money by suggesting work that isn't needed. When I got my TOB done, they said I should replace my clutch and resurface the flywheel even though I only had 36k miles on it. Have no issues with slipping so far. But not know your clutch condition, you may need it.

DarkPira7e 02-05-2019 12:42 PM

Are they providing the clutch? Also, the service writer may not know, I was quoted an additional 2 hours of labor ( I provided the parts) but only ended up paying for half an hour of labor.

If their quote includes clutch, this makes much more sense. Tell them you'll provide the parts and see what the labor charge becomes. Honestly, even if they charge 2 or 3 hours of labor, you may as well get it done - 3 hours of labor is still cheaper than book (~8 if I recall)

Four_wheel_drifts 02-05-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3182332)
Are they providing the clutch? Also, the service writer may not know, I was quoted an additional 2 hours of labor ( I provided the parts) but only ended up paying for half an hour of labor.

If their quote includes clutch, this makes much more sense. Tell them you'll provide the parts and see what the labor charge becomes. Honestly, even if they charge 2 or 3 hours of labor, you may as well get it done - 3 hours of labor is still cheaper than book (~8 if I recall)

There is only 1 hour of labor in their price. The rest is parts which includes clutch, flywheel, tob, etc.

They haven’t gotten the motor out or seen anything yet. It felt excellent when I drove it in and it only has 38k on it, so I don’t think any of that is necessary.

It should be apart for me to look at tomorrow morning or afternoon. Initially their message sounded like it was all apart and I needed a clutch. But that’s not the case yet.

DarkPira7e 02-05-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four_wheel_drifts (Post 3182398)
There is only 1 hour of labor in their price. The rest is parts which includes clutch, flywheel, tob, etc.

They haven’t gotten the motor out or seen anything yet. It felt excellent when I drove it in and it only has 38k on it, so I don’t think any of that is necessary.

It should be apart for me to look at tomorrow morning or afternoon. Initially their message sounded like it was all apart and I needed a clutch. But that’s not the case yet.

I think they're genuinely offering it as a service since the engine is out. I'd respectfully decline if it's not something you feel you have need to replace. At 55k, my clutch still looked perfect. I replaced mine because I am going turbo, so it made sense in my case.

bcj 02-05-2019 02:28 PM

Replacing the flywheel at 38k is a reach.

Nope. Nope nope nope.

EAGLE5 02-05-2019 02:41 PM

I was quoted less and told not to bother.

rice_classic 02-05-2019 02:52 PM

I would have the tech facetime with me and show me exactly why replacement is recommended. Then after that I'd be very suspicious on why the flywheel and clutch would be in a condition such that replacement is necessary, assuming you don't have 200k miles on the car and abused the clutch.

johan 02-05-2019 03:25 PM

Well, obviously they should perform the TOB TSB for free while they are in there...

Tokay444 02-05-2019 04:18 PM

Tell them, "For that price, I'll wait 'till you have it back together and get it done the week after."

RToyo86 02-05-2019 05:07 PM

Clutch is reasonable, I see no need to replace the flywheel. If anything I would upgrade to a lightweight flywheel over OEM if it was on the table.

Mr.ac 02-05-2019 08:04 PM

Tell them to duck off.
Just replace the TOB, and you'll be good.
$1100 is a complete and total ripoff.

I did my own clutch job with a bad back, a beer in one hand, in my own garage with no air tools or lift. It took 5 hours, if you have a buddy it would take less.

Just to be far my local dealership quoted me $850. Parts and fluid included

Four_wheel_drifts 02-06-2019 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johan (Post 3182455)
Well, obviously they should perform the TOB TSB for free while they are in there...

There's a free throw out bearing recall? They didn't mention it and I'll tell them tomorrow. Thanks!