Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Review || Blitz SUS Power Core intake kit, install/review (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103767)

mav1178 03-31-2016 02:04 AM

Review || Blitz SUS Power Core intake kit, install/review

Installed this and testing it out over the next month. There's not much more to this versus other types of intake kits on the market, but there's something nice about a quality kit...

Will be posting driving impression, as well as long distance review as well as testing at several track events (including Circuit of the Americas)

Complete kit info: http://www.blitzna.com/air-cleaner-s...20-86-brz.html

http://i.imgur.com/LNFIG5w.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FkfrCyI.jpg

Review:
Quote:

So after driving the car with the filter for a while, here's what I think about the kit:

This intake kit is designed to replace everything in front of the factory intake tube. Blitz sells a separate intake tube that (functionally speaking) is the same as other intake tubes available on the market (from the likes of Perrin, etc) but is stainless steel w/ blue couplers.

Everything bolted up perfectly fine. There's no fitment issues, and everything that you would need to install is included with the kit.

A few things to note:
  • The kit includes a heat shield that is bolted at two points on the car: 1) stock airbox bolt, and 2) zip ties in "x" formation across one of the factory radiator fan supports.
  • Intake kit comes with brackets for a secure mount. Instructions are in Japanese but it's pretty self explanatory...
  • This is not a cold air intake, but (as many of you know) intake air charge isn't super critical unless you are heatsoaking the engine massively.
  • The stainless steel mesh element is very high quality and adds a nice look/feel to the engine bay. I have taken the filter off and the intake tubing doesn't look any dirtier after ~5000 miles.
  • The sound generator (tube that plumbs noise into the cabin) is removed with this intake kit. The Blitz kit includes a rubber cap that allows you to cap the sound generator by the plastic connector below the battery.
  • Intake noise is aggressive, especially if you have a tune that has changed cam timing. When paired with a quiet exhaust like the Blitz Nur-Spec VS, the intake will be all that you hear under WOT.
  • I have not noticed any major change in mileage. I recently averaged 30.5-31.5MPG highway over close to 4000 miles on 245/40-17 tires.

Blitz also has 3 other versions of this kit, two use the same filter element but are (respectively) blue or red, and another one uses their Advance Cleaner intake element w/ a heat shield funnel intake.

All in all, pretty satisfied with this kit. YMMV.

Mr.Impreza 03-31-2016 09:40 AM

Nice, looking forward to the reviews :)

chaoskaze 06-25-2016 03:59 AM

Review soon || Blitz SUS Power Core intake kit, install/review

O.O What happened to the review?

Is this basically like Blitz Advance Power Intake without the the shiny bits & amazing noise?

mav1178 06-25-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaoskaze (Post 2688839)
O.O What happened to the review?

Is this basically like Blitz Advance Power Intake with out the the shiny bits & amazing noise?

Sorry got sidetracked w/ other projects.

I'll put together something early next week. The intake kits are same with filter elements being different.

-alex

mav1178 07-05-2016 03:16 PM

So after driving the car with the filter for a while, here's what I think about the kit:

This intake kit is designed to replace everything in front of the factory intake tube. Blitz sells a separate intake tube that (functionally speaking) is the same as other intake tubes available on the market (from the likes of Perrin, etc) but is stainless steel w/ blue couplers.

Everything bolted up perfectly fine. There's no fitment issues, and everything that you would need to install is included with the kit.

A few things to note:
  • The kit includes a heat shield that is bolted at two points on the car: 1) stock airbox bolt, and 2) zip ties in "x" formation across one of the factory radiator fan supports.
  • Intake kit comes with brackets for a secure mount. Instructions are in Japanese but it's pretty self explanatory...
  • This is not a cold air intake, but (as many of you know) intake air charge isn't super critical unless you are heatsoaking the engine massively.
  • The stainless steel mesh element is very high quality and adds a nice look/feel to the engine bay. I have taken the filter off and the intake tubing doesn't look any dirtier after ~5000 miles.
  • The sound generator (tube that plumbs noise into the cabin) is removed with this intake kit. The Blitz kit includes a rubber cap that allows you to cap the sound generator by the plastic connector below the battery.
  • Intake noise is aggressive, especially if you have a tune that has changed cam timing. When paired with a quiet exhaust like the Blitz Nur-Spec VS, the intake will be all that you hear under WOT.
  • I have not noticed any major change in mileage. I recently averaged 30.5-31.5MPG highway over close to 4000 miles on 245/40-17 tires.

Blitz also has 3 other versions of this kit, two use the same filter element but are (respectively) blue or red, and another one uses their Advance Cleaner intake element w/ a heat shield funnel intake.

All in all, pretty satisfied with this kit. YMMV.

I'll add some better pics in the near future.

-alex