Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Dangers of Keyless Ignitions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101444)

White64Goat 02-12-2016 10:30 AM

The Dangers of Keyless Ignitions

If you are in the D.C. area and get WUSA Channel 9, they have a report on there tonight (2/12) about keyless ignitions (push button start) at 11:00 p.m.

mdm 02-12-2016 10:35 AM

Was it about the signal amplifiers which make the car think that the keyfob is next to the car, while it is 100 ft away in the owner's house?

I saw a security paper on this, but can't find the link now. Apparently, this is another instance of car manufacturers being cheap (like GM ignition switches) because there are a few inexpensive solutions that might have prevented this. Now owners are advised to keep their keyfobs in the fridge (for electric shielding)

White64Goat 02-12-2016 10:39 AM

Since the show airs tonight at 11:00, I have no idea what it might entail. Will have to tune in ..........:popcorn:

jawn 02-12-2016 11:12 AM

Go to Home Depot, buy a bunch of wire mesh, and make a Faraday cage. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

mdm 02-12-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White64Goat (Post 2545268)
Since the show airs tonight at 11:00, I have no idea what it might entail. Will have to tune in ..........:popcorn:

Sorry, I did not register the date. I normally don't watch TV, but I was in a room with a TV on yesterday, they announced the show but somehow I thought it was for the same day, that is yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2545324)
Go to Home Depot, buy a bunch of wire mesh, and make a Faraday cage. Problem solved, problem staying solved.

Maybe a metal tea can would suffice.

mdm 02-12-2016 11:38 AM

Here is that paper, by the way
http://www.syssec.ethz.ch/content/da...h/spot/332.pdf

and a NYT article
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/st...eves.html?_r=1

both probably much more accurate and substantial than a TV show.

PandaSPUR 02-12-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdm (Post 2545261)
Was it about the signal amplifiers which make the car think that the keyfob is next to the car, while it is 100 ft away in the owner's house?

I saw a security paper on this, but can't find the link now. Apparently, this is another instance of car manufacturers being cheap (like GM ignition switches) because there are a few inexpensive solutions that might have prevented this. Now owners are advised to keep their keyfobs in the fridge (for electric shielding)

I could be wrong, but doesnt our car have sensors both on the inside and outside so that certain features are locked depending on where the car thinks the key is at?

So a signal amplifier attack like that could allow a person to unlock your car, but you shouldn't be able to start it. I needa double check the manual later, but I think thats how it works.

White64Goat 02-12-2016 11:30 PM

Well,...........much ado about nothing on this one. Seems that an older man drove his car into his garage (under a townhouse) and forgot to hit the button to turn the car off and it ran until the gas tank ran dry and the carbon monoxide killed him.

Now his kids are pushing for manufacturers to install some type of software in the car to shut it off after xx minutes of inactivity. The NHTSA is looking into the problem, but has not made any type of ruling on it yet.

Ultramaroon 02-12-2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jawn (Post 2545324)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...wL._SX342_.jpg

edit: Oh well. This won't help shut off the engine but still...

Irace86 02-13-2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White64Goat (Post 2546364)
Well,...........much ado about nothing on this one. Seems that an older man drove his car into his garage (under a townhouse) and forgot to hit the button to turn the car off and it ran until the gas tank ran dry and the carbon monoxide killed him.

Now his kids are pushing for manufacturers to install some type of software in the car to shut it off after xx minutes of inactivity. The NHTSA is looking into the problem, but has not made any type of ruling on it yet.

This is old news right? And I dont get the problem. I am guilty of leaving my car running and/or leaving the keys in the ignition. I have motorcycle keys that dont have a house key and on my first car I had no house key on the car keys--classic car with aluminum keys i kept apart. Just saying, keys arent perfect either. Its cool if they can make a timer for stock cars but there are timers out there for cars (turbo timers) if someone needs them.

Tcoat 02-13-2016 01:03 AM

Geeeez the things people come up with to worry about.
I could be in your old keyed car and away in about 30 seconds with a dent puller and a flat screwdriver. For any security measure ever made there is a counter measure. After reading the articles that mdm linked I don't think there is much to panic over. If anybody has the skills to build and use the equipment they speak to then they are not going to be running around scooping Twins. The vast majority of car thefts are crimes of opportunity anyway so just don't leave the fob/key in it and you will probably be safe.

Joyride86 02-13-2016 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White64Goat (Post 2546364)

I don't know about the keyless feature in the twins, but my other car that has a keyless feature. It will start making an audible and annoying alarm when I leave the car while it is still running. There are some preventative measures, but everyone just expects everything to be done for them nowadays. I hate to be cynical since a man lost his life, but maybe a car without this feature would've better suited him.

AznBRZer 02-13-2016 06:54 AM

Forgetting to turn off a twin or new WRX will never be a problem because you'll either have loud crickets or a loud rumbling exhaust to remind you that the car is on. You can hear both from over 50 ft away.

I'd actually be surprised if there were cars that didn't alert the driver that the engine was still on when exiting.

Scottemad123 02-13-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2546412)
Geeeez the things people come up with to worry about.
I could be in your old keyed car and away in about 30 seconds with a dent puller and a flat screwdriver. For any security measure ever made there is a counter measure. After reading the articles that mdm linked I don't think there is much to panic over. If anybody has the skills to build and use the equipment they speak to then they are not going to be running around scooping Twins. The vast majority of car thefts are crimes of opportunity anyway so just don't leave the fob/key in it and you will probably be safe.

This, and remember if a thief really wants your car they WILL find a way to get it.