Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   FT86 Vs. 2020 Corvette C8 Stingray (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136040)

rennlistuser3 07-27-2019 08:19 PM

FT86 Vs. 2020 Corvette C8 Stingray

well somebody had to do it:bellyroll::bellyroll: I sure hope I don't get banned for this!

Power: 495 Vs. 205 HP & Torque 470 Vs. 151, slight advantage C8 :cheers:

Acceleration: 0-60: approx. 3 Vs. 6 seconds. slight advantage C8 :cheers:

Speeding ticket Prone: hell yeah for the C8

Transmission: no manual option for C8 so bummer. But DCT of C8 seems to be really good.

Sound: NA V8 Vs. flat 4 subby rumble, subjective here but I personally will want both in my life if I could get away with it

Practicality: usable small rear seats for FT86 gets it here :thumbsup:

Fuel economy: for the lead footed, FT86

Tires: Just checked at the local Discount tires, expect around 400 USD per tire and the rear look to need changing every year if you have fun with it.

Price: approx.. 22k Vs. 60k USD. both are bargains for what you get so tie :bonk: obiously one will need deeper pockets.

Removable top: yes and even transparent option for C8 Vs. nothing for FT86. Big advantage here.

Reliability: FT86 proven C8 not expected to be class leading

Looks: too subjective :(:( I personally want to wait until I see it in the flesh but from online images I think it looks ugly from the rear and side rears but I can live with it. Maybe if I see it in person I'll change my mind like I did with the Mazda ND RF.

Handling: toss up, the FT86 will have the advantage of being lighter and therefor more nimble while the C8 will have the advantage of a way more serious performance vehicle with a mid engine layout. For me personally, I will choose the FT86 cause I like numble but I'm sure the majority will say C8 because numbers are everything.

Take it away boys, this is just an excuse to talk about the C8 :bellyroll:

Take it lightly, if you can't tell already, this is not meant to be a very serious thread.

Will BRZ 07-27-2019 10:22 PM

Yeah totally not fair lol American beast vs a cute little 4 pot. The C8 isn't a traditional muscle car, obviously. It's a breed on it's own. Really not much to compare it too in it's price range. I'm exited to start seeing track videos of it and the later editions. I do agree with you on the nimbleness of the BRZ though. Nothing like throwing around 2,700 pound car around :burnrubber: Other than that, the C8 wins everything easy. I like it and would take it 10 out of 10 times over a Supra. Which will sell better in 2020?

rennlistuser3 07-27-2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will BRZ (Post 3241755)
Yeah totally not fair lol American beast vs a cute little 4 pot. The C8 isn't a traditional muscle car, obviously. It's a breed on it's own. Really not much to compare it too in it's price range. I'm exited to start seeing track videos of it and the later editions. I do agree with you on the nimbleness of the BRZ though. Nothing like throwing around 2,700 pound car around :burnrubber: Other than that, the C8 wins everything easy. I like it and would take it 10 out of 10 times over a Supra. Which will sell better in 2020?

Never ever liked the 2020 Supra. Hands down would take the FT86 over it. It wouldn't even be considered.

Will BRZ 07-27-2019 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 (Post 3241756)
Never ever liked the 2020 Supra. Hands down would take the FT86 over it. It wouldn't even be considered.

I don’t mind it honestly. It’s grown on me and I can’t wait to see them modified, but that price tag throws me off. For a few grand more, you can get the C8, maybe a ZL1, and perhaps a C7 Z06. I think that’s really going to affect how well it sells. Either way, I’d take the BRZ too.

rennlistuser3 07-27-2019 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will BRZ (Post 3241759)
I don’t mind it honestly. It’s grown on me and I can’t wait to see them modified, but that price tag throws me off. For a few grand more, you can get the C8, maybe a ZL1, and perhaps a C7 Z06. I think that’s really going to affect how well it sells. Either way, I’d take the BRZ too.

My main issue with the Supra is lack of agility. It's a very heavy car and unlike the C8 it's FR so the responses are dulled compared to the FT86. I read this from multiple sources.

The C8 on the ohter hand is MR and I would hope it's very agile despite the extra weight.

I had a Porsche Boxster and despite it's heavier weight than the FT86 (which can definitely be felt) it was still very agile thanks to MR setup.

Honestly the Supra is a competitor to the Mustang GT

Will BRZ 07-27-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 (Post 3241763)
My main issue with the Supra is lack of agility. It's a very heavy car and unlike the C8 it's FR so the responses are dulled compared to the FT86. I read this from multiple sources.

The C8 on the ohter hand is MR and I would hope it's very agile despite the extra weight.

I had a Porsche Boxster and despite it's heavier weight than the FT86 (which can definitely be felt) it was still very agile thanks to MR setup.

Honestly the Supra is a competitor to the Mustang GT

Don’t they weigh around the same though (just under 3,400 pounds I think)? I’ve read that the Supra has 50:50 weight distribution as well. I’m not really one to go strictly off of numbers, but I doubt I’m ever driving either :(

I love the Supra interior. It’s bit of luxury in a Toyota sports car, but I’m sure the whole BMW thing is why the price is so high. The C8 Corvette interior is really something though haha I really like it. I’ve gotten used to the BRZ interior and it’s acceptable for the price of the car lol

Why do you think the Supra is more comparable to the Mustang though? Not to beat a dead horse, but the Z4 seems like it’s closest “competitor”.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 07-28-2019 12:29 AM

The C8 is ugly as sin and automatic, I’d take the 86 and extra cash.

Will BRZ 07-28-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3241782)
The C8 is ugly as sin and automatic, I’d take the 86 and extra cash.

Damn that ugly? Lol i love the fact that “automatic” is an insult now. Only thing I don’t like is the front bumper. Looks kinda weird. Other than that, it looks pretty sweet to me. All subjective.

EAGLE5 07-28-2019 01:26 AM

First they released the Supra. But I did not buy one.
Because I am not a douche bag.

Then they released the C8. But I did not buy one.
Because I am not a hairy-chested, balding, middle-aged man.

Oh, wait...

humfrz 07-28-2019 02:35 AM

I'd buy a C8, but, then people would say "there is another old man driving a Corvette".

When I get out of my FR-S, people say "there is an old man driving his son's car".

I get no respect either way.

:sigh:

humfrz

new2subaru 07-28-2019 07:40 AM

3,300lbs IS the new skinny.

While I like both I’d be more likely to buy a BRZ in the future and have a second twin.

Dirty Harry 07-28-2019 08:39 AM

I’ll give it a go: Bang for buck...hp/$$$

495/60k = 8.25

205/22K = 9.32(rounded)

You get a little more bang for your buck with the 86/BRZ vs Corvette.

But these numbers don’t tell the story, right? Math doesn’t explain it. It’s emotion, how you feel about a particular model, your vehicle preference and $$$. Completely different cars and markets and how they drive. It really is apples vs oranges (more like an apple vs a steak dinner) how do we compare these two? I give up already lol. C8 is the first Corvette available in RHD in OZ markets too, interesting...

Rampage 07-28-2019 09:27 AM

Where can you buy a brand new 86 or BRZ for $22K USD?

why? 07-28-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry (Post 3241839)
I’ll give it a go: Bang for buck...hp/$$$

495/60k = 8.25

205/22K = 9.32(rounded)

You get a little more bang for your buck with the 86/BRZ vs Corvette.

But these numbers don’t tell the story, right? Math doesn’t explain it. It’s emotion, how you feel about a particular model, your vehicle preference and $$$. Completely different cars and markets and how they drive. It really is apples vs oranges (more like an apple vs a steak dinner) how do we compare these two? I give up already lol. C8 is the first Corvette available in RHD in OZ markets too, interesting...

problem is the twins are more like $26k. If they were the $20k they were supposed to be there would be far less issues with them and far more people buying them.