Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   My track day video at Willow Springs 1-19-13 vs S2000/FR-S/RX8 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27807)

Mark Slide Squad 01-31-2013 03:11 AM

My track day video at Willow Springs 1-19-13 vs S2000/FR-S/RX8

This event was a blast. It was the first FT86 cup event (results don't count toward championship) and I was happy to place 2nd place in the Under Class :)
There is some good footage of @robispec behind me as well! My best lap is a 1:27.3, but I know I have room for improvement.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecaW8fZvJCM"]Scion FR-S at Streets of Willow Extreme Speed 1-19-2013 track day compilation - YouTube[/ame]

robispec 01-31-2013 05:31 AM

nice!

ft86Fan 01-31-2013 08:09 AM

Why is your car so loose? What is your alignment?

Mark Slide Squad 01-31-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft86Fan (Post 701675)
Why is your car so loose? What is your alignment?

Alignment is a factor as it it set to zero degrees all the way around, but a big reason for it being very loose that day is because the temps were extremely cold at around 40 degrees. Once the tires got to temp after several laps, it was much, much better. Most of the footage of me getting sideways is because it was the first few laps and the tires were still cold :)

CSG Mike 01-31-2013 12:46 PM

Have you ever measured tire temps and pressures mid session? I think the looseness may be a result of your driving style and the spring rates. Based on the video, it seems you use the front tires more than the rears (partially style, possibly as a result of spring rates), causing them to warm up faster.

Just some speculation...

Mark Slide Squad 01-31-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 702150)
Have you ever measured tire temps and pressures mid session? I think the looseness may be a result of your driving style and the spring rates. Based on the video, it seems you use the front tires more than the rears (partially style, possibly as a result of spring rates), causing them to warm up faster.

Just some speculation...

I think that also plays a factor into it, I didn't measure temps of the tires, but I did check pressure. When cold, all four tires were set to 33 psi. After about 6 laps, I checked and the left side front and rear were about 42 psi, and the right front and rear were 38 psi. That told me that the track is much more abusive of the left side of the car, and while I didn't monitor temps, the left side is getting much hotter than the right side. I dropped the hot pressure down to 37psi on all four and went back out. The definitely felt more stable after that. It's something I've got to keep a closer eye on for sure. The spring rates also attribute to the looseness, being 9kg front and 7kg rear. Coming from years of drifting though, I like it loose (eerr, cars that is!) haha. :thumbsup:

CSG Mike 01-31-2013 01:50 PM

9k front 7k rear? Did I read that right? That sounds like it would be massively understeery unless you're compensating with damping or sways.

Do you have sways?

We're on 10/12 f/r, and I think its pushy :p

Mark Slide Squad 01-31-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 702298)
9k front 7k rear? Did I read that right? That sounds like it would be massively understeery unless you're compensating with damping or sways.

Do you have sways?

We're on 10/12 f/r, and I think its pushy :p

Yup, 9kg front and 7kg rear, which are the stock springs in the Buddy Club Racing Spec Dampers. These dampers are the same as the D1 spec dampers they sell, except the Racing Spec come with camber plates. I think the valving plays into it, as it tends to be a little softer in the front than rear, I'm still not 100% dialed in on the damping settings though, and need to fine-tune more.

I have stock sway bars, just have the Perrin adjustable end links on the rear bar to compensate for the binding issue with the stock rear end links.

I'm going to try different spring rates eventually, just want to see what I can get out of the factory Buddy Club set up :D

Xdragonxb0i 01-31-2013 02:21 PM

nice video. Wish i had a track to play on!

RYU 01-31-2013 02:30 PM

1:27 is pretty quick. What tires were you on?

btw... saw you waived by Willem in his NSX. He did a 1:23 that day.

here's a vid you might enjoy (different perspective, same day)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fnro2kQnb3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mark Slide Squad 01-31-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 702399)
1:27 is pretty quick. What tires were you on?

btw... saw you waived by Willem in his NSX. He did a 1:23 that day.

here's a vid you might enjoy (different perspective, same day)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fnro2kQnb3Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was on Hankook RS3 245/40/17.

You know Will? He's one of my best friends for the past 10 years. His NSX is so awesome, I'm very envious! It's a quick car, very well balanced/tuned :D

sw20kosh 02-01-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Slide Squad (Post 702322)

I have stock sway bars, just have the Perrin adjustable end links on the rear bar to compensate for the binding issue with the stock rear end links.

:D

Nice video! Good driving, fun to see tail end get loose!

Can you elaborate more on this binding issue? Does this happen in stock config too?

AlvinT@Borla 02-01-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robispec (Post 701571)
nice!

Enjoyed video @3:40 with Robi... Thanks for posting!

ft86Fan 02-01-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Slide Squad (Post 702069)
Alignment is a factor as it it set to zero degrees all the way around, but a big reason for it being very loose that day is because the temps were extremely cold at around 40 degrees. Once the tires got to temp after several laps, it was much, much better. Most of the footage of me getting sideways is because it was the first few laps and the tires were still cold :)

Loose or not, it looked like you had fun and always in control. Good job. :thumbsup: