Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would the FR-S be a good first car? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28610)

alexb99 02-09-2013 11:36 PM

Would the FR-S be a good first car?

Hi everyone. I've been wondering if the Scion would be a good first car. My concerns are that the rear legroom isn't good, and cost to run. Any thoughts?

Splat 02-09-2013 11:40 PM

It is a great first car. Leg room? forget it unless your under 5'6" in driver seat. Any new car would be a great first car, and your thinking about getting the hottest new car in market? cost of ownership, insurance and then same as everything else, maybe more tire money if you don't treat them well. Have you driven one ? Now, what is the question ?

RT87 02-09-2013 11:42 PM

I drove the family car before i got my frs so this is my first real car. It's perfectly fine as long as you don't have to drive more than two people around all the time.

BlaineWasHere 02-09-2013 11:45 PM

Inexperienced drivers should NOT drive nice cars. I'm glad my first car wasn't that nice.

ScionFamily 02-09-2013 11:47 PM

^ I second that statement.

jflogerzi 02-09-2013 11:48 PM

I am going to have to say no. Only Midgets and kids can fit in the back. It costs 25K so unless you have money( via parents ) or have a substantial down payment, your monthly will be high. Then you have insurance which will very high being you are a new driver. Then you have gas costs. For your first car, get a beater or nice cheap used 4 door economy car. If you want something fun thats like an FR-S, MX-5's or other older sports cars might be a better fit. If you do wreck the car, its better that its a cheap car and not the FR-S. BTW my First car was a 72 VW super beetle.

husker741 02-09-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere (Post 724685)
Inexperienced drivers should NOT drive nice cars. I'm glad my first car wasn't that nice.

First car was a Lexus GS400, second was an SC430. I think it helped me appreciate my car having a nice car. Just sayin..

boredom.is.me 02-09-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexb99 (Post 724668)
Hi everyone. I've been wondering if the Scion would be a good first car. My concerns are that the rear legroom isn't good, and cost to run. Any thoughts?

Tell me, why do you want rear legroom? You sound like you want to kill yourself and three friends. You do not need to carry all your friends around. It will only bring trouble. Trust me there.

Occasionally carrying more than one friend is ok, but legroom is not something you think about when that is the case. (It is also illegal if you are under 25.)

(I'm 19 btw and I only keep a handful of friends.)

campy 02-10-2013 12:03 AM

Cost to run is relatively cheap compared to other new cars on the market, but keep in mind it takes premium fuel. The car itself is comfortable and easy to drive, with good visibility and a good amount of power, not too much to get yourself into too much trouble but still enough to learn the characteristics of a RWD car and have fun.

I have fit 4 people into my FRS on a couple occasions, including a 20ish minute trip with a bunch of other guys who are around 6ft tall. They survived the trip, but my knees were up against the console. It's not comfortable (or safe) but definitely do-able when you need to haul people. If you're one of those people who needs to drive with the seat far back, forget about putting someone behind you.

I'd be willing to say the FRS/BRZ is one of the best choices for an auto-enthusiast's first car. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea to check out the used market too. If you have a $25k budget, there's lots of other cool cars out there. The FRS is one of those "specialty cars", like the S2000 or RX7. You buy one because you really want one, not because it's the most reasonable :lol:

Porsche 02-10-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexb99 (Post 724668)

Speaking strictly about the CAR?

Heavens yes!

I recommend the manual transmission for best enjoyment. You can quickly learn the manual with decent instruction and not ruin your fine new car.

Back seat? Not meant for human habitation. Infants only, but otherwise for carrying things, but not people, no, apart from emergencies. It barely holds my photo gear. This car is what used to be called a 2+2.

No reason to think that running costs would differ from any other car. It is a new model, however, and we “early adopters” may need to pay some extra dues. This will likely only “cost” in annoyance, time, and inconvenience. The car has the typical warranty.

You’ll want to confirm your insurance costs before buying.

May I ask how old you are?

husker741 02-10-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredom.is.me (Post 724697)
Tell me, why do you want rear legroom? You sound like you want to kill yourself and three friends. You do not need to carry all your friends around. It will only bring trouble. Trust me there.

Occasionally carrying more than one friend is ok, but legroom is not something you think about when that is the case. (It is also illegal if you are under 25.)

(I'm 19 btw and I only keep a handful of friends.)

Where is it illegal? In Nebraska, it's only illegal like your first or second year of driving. I think that sounds way off for being 25 and not being able to have more than one person.

chenshuo 02-10-2013 12:22 AM

it's a great car if it fits your budget and YOU'RE paying for it, not mommy or daddy.

boredom.is.me 02-10-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker741 (Post 724725)
Where is it illegal? In Nebraska, it's only illegal like your first or second year of driving. I think that sounds way off for being 25 and not being able to have more than one person.

I looked it up a little more as I wasn't sure. I meant to put "think" in my statement.

I'm still not sure and I'm pretty sure that it varies from state to state. But they all say something along the lines of no more than a certain amount of under-21 passengers. New drivers are much more restricted at only having over-21 or family within the first few months. Again, it depends on the location.

ExWhyZer0 02-10-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenshuo (Post 724733)
it's a great car if it fits your budget and YOU'RE paying for it, not mommy or daddy.

I always feel that what I work my ass off to earn is slightly cheapened when a kid goes and gets the same thing from mommy and daddy. :bs: