Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   phantom tire pressure warning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7611)

eikond 06-03-2012 12:31 AM

phantom tire pressure warning

Was on the highway tonight and noticed the low tire pressure light go on.. It flashed for 10 seconds and then stayed on solid. I pulled off into a McDonalds parking lot.. after talking to 6 different people about the car, I walked around and checked the tires visually. I don't have a tire gauge in the car yet.. Everything looked just fine, so I turned the car back on and started driving.. it blinked for a little while longer and then turned off.

Anyone else have a phantom tire pressure light go on?

ashtray 06-03-2012 12:50 AM

You may have a tire at 27psi instead of 32, or whatever your dealer set it at. Im not sure at what point it comes on, but it's possible for a tire to be low but not look low visually. Old 70 series tires you could tell by looking. New low profile tires you really need a tire gauge.

Bristecom 06-03-2012 12:52 AM

Check it with an accurate tire pressure gauge. They should be at 35 psi.

Snoopyalien24 06-03-2012 12:54 AM

I remember somone saying that sometimes, the sensors pick up interference and display false info.. I don't remember where, who, when this was spoken.

But check how much psi you gots

Bristecom 06-03-2012 12:57 AM

Yeah, it does happen though. It's happened in our Evo X a few times. But it's always worth a check.

eikond 06-03-2012 01:54 AM

Tire pressures are actually a little high.. between 38 and 40 for all four wheels.

Bristecom 06-03-2012 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eikond (Post 237905)
Tire pressures are actually a little high.. between 38 and 40 for all four wheels.

Did you just get done driving or was it still hot/sunny out when you measured them? If so, I'd retest them after letting them sit in the dark for a few hours and let some air out to make them 35 psi. If it keeps coming back on then you may want to get the sensors checked.

nathanR 06-04-2012 07:09 AM

Don't forget to check the spare. The light on my wife's MS3 kept lighting up rather randomly. Turns out the spare is what was causing it.

driver01 06-04-2012 07:55 AM

i believe there is no tire pressure sensor in the spare tire of the fr-s/brz as it is not a full size but a spare saver spare

Draco-REX 06-04-2012 08:25 AM

It's been my experience that when tires get warm, pressures climb 3psi on average sized car tires. So if you just got done driving and check your pressures, subtract 3 for your cold pressures.

As for the TPMS light, were you pacing a pack of cars? It's possible a nearby car was interfering with yours.

eikond 06-04-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco-REX (Post 239889)
It's been my experience that when tires get warm, pressures climb 3psi on average sized car tires. So if you just got done driving and check your pressures, subtract 3 for your cold pressures.

As for the TPMS light, were you pacing a pack of cars? It's possible a nearby car was interfering with yours.

I checked pressure about two hours after I got home. The car was parked in a cold/dark garage.. so lonely.. :(

It's possible another car might have interfered. There was other traffic around me when the light went on.

I put another 50 miles on it yesterday and had no pressure light come on..