Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Issues - Traction control and ABS warning light on (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11509)

G86 07-13-2012 11:31 AM

Issues - Traction control and ABS warning light on

Hi there,

I've just picked up my manual 86 a week ago. I'm in the midst of still running the vehicle in. Today I've switch it on after work and instantly both the ABS and Traction Control light come on.... :confused0068:

I've tried switching it on and off multiple times, but the lights still appear.

Anyone had these issues or come across them??

Kwaziekeller 07-13-2012 11:35 AM

Sounds like there is a problem with ABS/TCS and I'd get it to a dealer ASAP. Could be an issue with the systems themselves. You could try to disconnect the battery for a while and reset the ECU to see if it goes away but I'd want to get it looked at. In the meantime, you're probably left without ABS/TCS/Stability.

Snoopyalien24 07-13-2012 11:38 AM

Did you turn the car on and off completely?

G86 07-14-2012 04:46 AM

I'd turned the car off and then back on multiple times, with no luck.

I disconnected and then reconnected the battery and lights still appeared. At no point have they flickered or changed. They've been solid since.

I've logged an issue with the dealership. Now waiting on a response.

Shinji2787 07-14-2012 04:49 AM

Wait.... are you implying that the traction controls are off by default...? Because they are not....

#87 07-14-2012 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinji2787 (Post 314777)
Wait.... are you implying that the traction controls are off by default...? Because they are not....

No, if there is an issue the lights are on in the dash because the ECU turns them off...... Because it does that...

G86 07-14-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #87 (Post 314789)
No, if there is an issue the lights are on in the dash because the ECU turns them off...... Because it does that...

Correct.

So for some weird reason the traction control and abs lights are on and can't be switched off, which obviously is the ecu telling you there's something wrong.

Since then I've also discovered that the cruise control function does not work at all.

The car is driving fine... I've just lost all the electronic driver aids.

I'm hoping a reset of the ecu or a diagnostics test should pin/solve the problem. Fingers crossed.

MTeator 07-14-2012 10:49 AM

faulty abs sensor perhaps.

Jeff Lange 07-14-2012 11:33 AM

There are multiple issues that could cause this. Take the car to the dealer, they will be able to check what is causing the lights to illuminate and fix it (likely under warranty).

Jeff

UnLeasHer 07-22-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G86 (Post 313163)
Hi there,

I've just picked up my manual 86 a week ago. I'm in the midst of still running the vehicle in. Today I've switch it on after work and instantly both the ABS and Traction Control light come on.... :confused0068:

I've tried switching it on and off multiple times, but the lights still appear.

Anyone had these issues or come across them??

omg same issue! with cruise control off and everything! have u fixed it?

UnLeasHer 07-22-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnLeasHer (Post 330929)
omg same issue! with cruise control off and everything! have u fixed it?

Took the little one to the service center.

The guys down there said there was nothing wrong with the computer, and everything was fine.

They think that having the traction and abs notification on in the driving conditions I was in (wet, lots of corners, higher speeds) was normal, and that the car pre-selected this driving option (i.e. also turning off cruise control and options for other drive types (i.e. traction off, sports VSC (and for those with GTS 'sports' and 'snow')).

If this happens to you - the notifications coming on means that the car is letting you know (additional?) traction and ABS is ON - it does not mean that there is a fault to be checked. After the driving conditions improve, and you have turned the car off for 1 min and back on the car should take these notifications off. If not, then there might be something wrong.

I said that I did not noticed any different handling but they said it couldve been such a tiny change that I did not notice the difference (which is most likely true being asian, young and female LOL).

Car is a.o.k and smarter than I thought.

:)

Subie 07-22-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnLeasHer (Post 332091)
Took the little one to the service center.

The guys down there said there was nothing wrong with the computer, and everything was fine.

They think that having the traction and abs notification on in the driving conditions I was in (wet, lots of corners, higher speeds) was normal, and that the car pre-selected this driving option (i.e. also turning off cruise control and options for other drive types (i.e. traction off, sports VSC (and for those with GTS 'sports' and 'snow')).

If this happens to you - the notifications coming on means that the car is letting you know (additional?) traction and ABS is ON - it does not mean that there is a fault to be checked. After the driving conditions improve, and you have turned the car off for 1 min and back on the car should take these notifications off. If not, then there might be something wrong.

I said that I did not noticed any different handling but they said it couldve been such a tiny change that I did not notice the difference (which is most likely true being asian, young and female LOL).

Car is a.o.k and smarter than I thought.

:)

I'm sorry but you were fed a bunch of baloney. The ABS and traction control lights come on to indicate a fault in the system. The cruise control wasn't working due to the same fault; either a wheel speed sensor or some other component was not functioning properly and triggered those lights. If the lights went off on their own the fault was temporary, and the next time the car did a self-check everything was working properly and therefore the lights did not come back on.

eriktherod 07-23-2012 01:28 AM

I think the OP meant that the lights came on when the car was turned on. From a cold(ish) start, I don't see how it would be the same as if you were on a wet road, it sensed it, and this happened.

I've driven in the rain plenty and never seen it come on and stay on. I'd say something is definitely wrong. There was another member who had this come on and stay on, got rough idle, and then had check engine codes related to crankshaft sensors. Not to make you paranoid, but I would definitely take it in if you start the car and get those lights staying on.

Tt3Sheppard 07-23-2012 08:14 AM

I had the same issues as well