Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Vortech idler pulleys seizing and belts breaking (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41080)

nelsmar 12-25-2013 11:02 AM

I bought my belts and idlers from a local auto parts store. Litterally every store in a 5 mile Radius had them in stock. Do not be overly concerned with this old thread afaik I have broken more belts than anyone and I never broke the belt on the stock pulley. Just make sure to inspect that the pulleys are lines up with a straight edge or string from tha alternator to Ac pulley. Install error can add stress to the belt. :)

DJCarbine 12-25-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRTROB (Post 1410708)
I have a Vortech on order and now I'm getting nervous with all these belts snapping and breaking :( can somebody post some links on where I can buy spare belts and idler pulleys online for the stock 9psi pulley?

You just want a K060975 belt, either a gates racing version or a standard version.

The Idler pulley is a gates 38006

You can order it from amazon/rockauto.com or your local autoparts store.

After replacing the idler pulley with the gates pulley and a racing belt I didn't have any problems with belts (the only problem I had previously was a squeaking pulley).

I wouldn't be worried.... just replace the pulley when you get the kit, and use the included K060975 or upgrade to a gates racing version of the same belt (K060975RB). I would not be paranoid as long as you do the pulley swap.

I'm actually running a higher PSI pulley with a STANDARD belt with no issues right now and the gates idler pulley 38006.
The most important thing you can do after install is to check all the belt/pulley clearances with your charge pipes and to make sure that all the brackets are installed properly so that the supercharger pulley is aligned correctly with the rest of your belt system.

ft86me 01-13-2014 11:35 PM

Was driving home and belt finally gave way today after a pull. Lost one tooth worth. Took the shards off and drove her home nice and slow. Will be replacing belt tomorrow at my shop with the 97 inch vs a 97.5. Thanks to @Rick@Vortech helping me out! You're awesome rick!

Noticed the 97.5 belt was getting loose and a mild squeaking last week.

Pulleys look good with no grease coming from them and not rubbing on anything. Whew !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

97in belt is doing great! no issues and car feels like it has a little more umph. that's what you get when a belt is on the loose side.

Sniper2606 01-29-2014 05:18 PM

My pulley started making squeaking noises today 5k miles on SC kit, should i make sure the pulley its tight? or should i change the belt?

Is there any way of changing or tightening the pulley with out taking the blower off?

nelsmar 01-29-2014 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper2606 (Post 1489625)
My pulley started making squeaking noises today 5k miles on SC kit, should i make sure the pulley its tight? or should i change the belt?

Is there any way of changing or tightening the pulley with out taking the blower off?

If you have a long handle wrench, or short socket you can loosen the tensioner and then remove the belt and do what you need.

deange 01-30-2014 12:28 AM

I've got a little over 7k on mine since the install in August and it has started making noise now too. My tensioner pully moves a lot (rotates on the tensioner pivot, doesn't wobble). I've got the gates k060970 belt. I'm going to have to do something before it gets worse. I'm wondering if the factory tensioner is up to the task with the additional strain of the blower, a/c, etc...

Cal3000 01-30-2014 12:38 AM

I've got 20K miles on my Vortech as of now. Belt squealing goes on and off. It's weird. Maybe oil from the reservoir vent is getting on the belt. Don't know. Car still runs good.

Sniper2606 02-01-2014 03:48 PM

Sooo changing the pulley today with the gates 38006 and the box says not to re use the dust cover because the bearing is already grease? Should I still use the dust cover?

Frs32907 02-01-2014 10:21 PM

So did anyone who had their belt slip or go bad get any dtc codes. Right now when i try to get anyboost my check engine comes on and says my maf voltage is too high and my bank 1 o2 sensor is too rich

charged86 02-02-2014 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frs32907 (Post 1497635)
So did anyone who had their belt slip or go bad get any dtc codes. Right now when i try to get anyboost my check engine comes on and says my maf voltage is too high and my bank 1 o2 sensor is too rich

hmm

deange 02-25-2014 08:53 PM

My car was progressively making more and more noise when cold. I checked out all the pulleys and couldn't find any issue with them. My kit is the 2nd gen kit and came with the Gates K060970 belt. On the advise of a buddy of mine who doesn't think very highly of the Gates belts I thought I'd try using a different brand. He suggested trying Bando. I did a bit of searching and bought a Bando 6PK2475 off of Amazon for 20 bucks. I changed it out (pulled the super charger), and put the Bando belt on. The Bando belt is 4 mm shorter (not enough to notice), and the noise is totally gone.

I can't say that it is a magical Bando belt, or that Gates sucks. It could simply be just a NEW belt was all that the car needed. I'll let you know how things are in another 10,000 miles.

Sniper2606 03-19-2014 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deange (Post 1557042)
My car was progressively making more and more noise when cold. I checked out all the pulleys and couldn't find any issue with them. My kit is the 2nd gen kit and came with the Gates K060970 belt. On the advise of a buddy of mine who doesn't think very highly of the Gates belts I thought I'd try using a different brand. He suggested trying Bando. I did a bit of searching and bought a Bando 6PK2475 off of Amazon for 20 bucks. I changed it out (pulled the super charger), and put the Bando belt on. The Bando belt is 4 mm shorter (not enough to notice), and the noise is totally gone.

I can't say that it is a magical Bando belt, or that Gates sucks. It could simply be just a NEW belt was all that the car needed. I'll let you know how things are in another 10,000 miles.

Was it a chirping noise? i been having some chirping when car is cold and it goes away after car its up normal temps, i have changed the idler pulley once and it stopped for a month now its coming back again, not sure if is the belt or pulley.

deange 03-22-2014 01:40 AM

Not a chirp. The new belt seems to be what was needed.

415FRS 04-18-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJCarbine (Post 1410923)
You just want a K060975 belt, either a gates racing version or a standard version.

The Idler pulley is a gates 38006

You can order it from amazon/rockauto.com or your local autoparts store.

After replacing the idler pulley with the gates pulley and a racing belt I didn't have any problems with belts (the only problem I had previously was a squeaking pulley).

I wouldn't be worried.... just replace the pulley when you get the kit, and use the included K060975 or upgrade to a gates racing version of the same belt (K060975RB). I would not be paranoid as long as you do the pulley swap.

I'm actually running a higher PSI pulley with a STANDARD belt with no issues right now and the gates idler pulley 38006.
The most important thing you can do after install is to check all the belt/pulley clearances with your charge pipes and to make sure that all the brackets are installed properly so that the supercharger pulley is aligned correctly with the rest of your belt system.

I got the idler pulley 38006 and its a little smaller than the one came with the kit. Did i get the correct one?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk