Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   For those running Headers in CA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51619)

Re~Mix 11-18-2013 02:51 PM

For those running Headers in CA

Hi all,

I'm looking for some feedback for those running headers in CA. I'm thinking about adding the Perrin Pulley, Borla EL headers (or alternative?), and an ECU tune to the car.

I'd like to hear what other people's setups and experiences are as well as thoughts on CA emission :mad0260:

Thanks in advance.

Anthonytpt 11-18-2013 02:59 PM

If you want them to be legal, then the headers you intend to install must have an executive order number, which are given to the product by the government certifying that the component is emissions legal. Chances are you will fail that requirement. Welcome to California.

Re~Mix 11-18-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthonytpt (Post 1338448)
Chances are you will fail that requirement. Welcome to California.

Unfortunately I am aware of that. However, it looks like we have 5 years before our first SMOG?

I might just do lightweight pulley, springs, wheels/tires in the meantime before I go too crazy. I am looking to stay NA and just give the car a tiny bit more pep.

Anthonytpt 11-18-2013 03:44 PM

I responded with that because you asked about emissions. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re~Mix (Post 1338435)
I'd like to hear what other people's setups and experiences are as well as thoughts on CA emission :mad0260:

B2FiNiTY 11-18-2013 04:28 PM

You don't have to smog your car until 6 years. During this six years, just pay a smog abatement fee that is included in your registration.

As long as you don't get pulled over and cited for modifications, you'll be fine.

overlookedx 11-18-2013 04:57 PM

Worst comes to worst, it's not that difficult to swap back to stock headers. If you want to give the car more pep, you could just get a tune.. that will be a noticeable difference in performance. The crank pulley isn't too noticeable.

jher 11-18-2013 04:58 PM

I went full header to exhaust and with a tune. My exhaust set up consist of different makes. I didn't go with one brand. When smog come around i'll just throw my stock header back on. It's easy to put on and take off. So far, I'm happy with my setup. Love the sound.

BRZ NA 11-18-2013 05:07 PM

Hate CA emissions law

Re~Mix 11-18-2013 05:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback thus far guys,

Any reviews/opinions on the options currently out there? Nameless, Borla, Revworks, JDL? I intended to go with a Equal Length option do to sound preferences.

This setup will be mounted up with my TRD CAI and Catback.

overlookedx 11-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re~Mix (Post 1338759)
Thanks for the feedback thus far guys,

Any reviews/opinions on the options currently out there? Nameless, Borla, Revworks, JDL? I intended to go with a Equal Length option do to sound preferences.

This setup will be mounted up with my TRD CAI and Catback.

JDL if you can afford it. RevWorks doesn't make an EL header for our cars so they are out of the equation. Borla is good if you don't mind a lower quality for a lower price, and you can easily swap headers yourself in case there are issues. Nameless - uhhh yeah, have you seen that thread?

Noob4Life 11-19-2013 11:09 AM

I got rev works headers. Gonna go with a hi flow cat in the front pipe and see if I can sneak by with that setup lol

bkblitzed 11-19-2013 03:24 PM

It's just a header. Go full catless tune it and dont even worry about it. Oh you got ref'd? Just put it back to stock and put the parts back together.

Speed Element 11-19-2013 06:20 PM

yeah you would have to put the headers and any cat deletes back to stock in order to pass smog/ref.

finch1750 11-19-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlookedx (Post 1340154)
JDL if you can afford it. RevWorks doesn't make an EL header for our cars so they are out of the equation. Borla is good if you don't mind a lower quality for a lower price, and you can easily swap headers yourself in case there are issues. Nameless - uhhh yeah, have you seen that thread?

The nameless thread is doing better than the innovate/sprintex sc thread, and that came out...eventually...

Though now it's going to be cosworth dollars if both names end up on it.