Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   JDL Auto Design - 2014 Exhaust Products (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55922)

Hurricanehank 03-16-2018 12:31 AM

I just installed mine a couple months ago looks like it was a vibrant gasket that I had. I say still get the oem metal one �� .

mistople 03-16-2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanehank (Post 3059007)
I just installed mine a couple months ago looks like it was a vibrant gasket that I had. I say still get the oem metal one �� .

Good to know, thanks.

I'm really surprised to read that using an aftermarket OP is all but required to avoid strange sounds and higher likelihood of leaking. I really wish I'd known that before ordering.

Hurricanehank 03-16-2018 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3059010)
Good to know, thanks.

I'm really surprised to read that using an aftermarket OP is all but required to avoid strange sounds and higher likelihood of leaking. I really wish I'd known that before ordering.

Mine sounds real nice and aside from swapping the op gasket everything fit great. Jdl catless uel + stock op and fp + hks legamax premium catback. Im in seattle too so if you want to hear it or ride in it let me know.

DocWalt 03-16-2018 11:21 AM

Don't waste your time using the stock gasket on the JDL header. It WILL leak eventually.

Use a Remflex gasket or some other nice gasket that has enough area to cover the 2.5" pipe of the JDL and also the ~2 1/8" pipe of the stock OP.

mistople 03-16-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 3059121)
Don't waste your time using the stock gasket on the JDL header. It WILL leak eventually.

Use a Remflex gasket or some other nice gasket that has enough area to cover the 2.5" pipe of the JDL and also the ~2 1/8" pipe of the stock OP.

Do you agree that the Vibrant gasket supplied by JDL wouldn't work for the stock OP? It would seem strange to me that JDL would include a part that has known issues.

DocWalt 03-16-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistople (Post 3059150)
Do you agree that the Vibrant gasket supplied by JDL wouldn't work for the stock OP? It would seem strange to me that JDL would include a part that has known issues.

I have no clue what gasket JDL is supplying with their parts these days, sorry.

The Subaru OEM gasket won't work well though. It has a compression seal that won't seal properly because the JDL pipe is much larger.

mistople 03-17-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 3059471)
I have no clue what gasket JDL is supplying with their parts these days, sorry.

The Subaru OEM gasket won't work well though. It has a compression seal that won't seal properly because the JDL pipe is much larger.

Ok, thanks for the heads up. I ended up using a different Vibrant gasket that was similar to a Grimmspeed style. Can’t really tell if there any leaks yet. We’ll see!

Not as easy as I thought it would be to install the headers! One of the engine mount bolts is nearly impossible to reach, even with special tools.

mistople 03-22-2018 06:58 PM

So I've installed my catless UEL and am almost done with the Delicious tune revisions.

I've noticed a very obvious intake-esque sound under any close to moderate load. I don't believe I have any leaks that I can find at this point. It sounds like air is getting sucked in, not necessarily leaked out. Is this a known sound? Any ideas as to what causes it?

Setup: 2017 LH-drive MT BRZ, Catless ti-coated UEL, Stock FP/OP/CBE. Grimmspeed gaskets on motor mounts, and a metal Vibrant gasket (not the one included with the JDL UEL) between the headers and OP.

DocWalt 03-22-2018 10:20 PM

Fluttery sound at part throttle? Welcome to owning a header on the 86 with stock catback. When you add a catback you can't hear it anymore. I changed OP/FP and could still hear the fluttery noise. Catback covered it up unless I was driving next to other cars or in a city.

mistople 03-22-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 3062562)
Fluttery sound at part throttle? Welcome to owning a header on the 86 with stock catback. When you add a catback you can't hear it anymore. I changed OP/FP and could still hear the fluttery noise. Catback covered it up unless I was driving next to other cars or in a city.

Yeah, it sounds a little fluttery and a bit like an intake sans-growl.

I have a Perrin 2.5" resonated sitting on my floor right now. Hopefully that will help! I'm still gonna check the OP connection regardless.

Teseo 03-28-2018 09:53 AM

If i put heat wrap on my JDL header, will void my warranty?